Official Super Rugby 2014 Thread

DJ...

Banned
The scrumming up at the end was despicable. I cannot believe they got away with it. Even after Bissie popped up and they reset, they tried it again. Terrible...

BobsLawnService

Expert Member
The scrumming up at the end was despicable. I cannot believe they got away with it. Even after Bissie popped up and they reset, they tried it again. Terrible...

Yeah, those losers have had their two wins for the season and now they have to resort to foul play.

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Yeah, those losers have had their two wins for the season and now they have to resort to foul play.

Aw, that ain't nice. So there play wasn't acceptable, but they tried. In the end frustration got the better of them. Ref should never have allowed it to go on indefinitely. Another yellow could have stopped the nonsense?

DJ...

Banned
Aw, that ain't nice. So there play wasn't acceptable, but they tried. In the end frustration got the better of them. Ref should never have allowed it to go on indefinitely. Another yellow could have stopped the nonsense?

It was right at the end of the game. It was pure frustration on their part, and not easily condoned nor forgiveable. It's probably one of the most dangerous things one can do in a scrum, which is why Peyper letting it happen twice was just astonishing.. He really did have a shockingly poor game tonight...

Creag

The Boar's Rock
I am sure I recall a commentator saying at beginning of the game that he sometimes gets to wrapped up in the game. Definitely poorly ref on the scrum.

DJ...

Banned
I am sure I recall a commentator saying at beginning of the game that he sometimes gets to wrapped up in the game. Definitely poorly ref on the scrum.

That was tongue-lasher-Bob. He doesn't seem to rate Peyper very highly as that was right at the beginning of the game...

Werner Harding

Feeling good today my team won got the yellow cap and i am in the nr 1 spot in the mybb pool what a weekend

APoc184

Honorary Master
A few pics from one of our Loftus photographers. Hopefully the Sharks guy comes to the party today as well and I will share a few.

CL0T5996 (Copy).jpg

CL0T5443 (Copy).jpg

CL0T6337 (Copy).jpg

CL0T6635 (Copy).jpg

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Thanks for the shots, Apoc. The Blues just couldn't really get into the game yesterday.

Anyone notice that JJ Engelbrecht didn't pass once? Serious case of white line fever. He'd run skew for the corner and every time a wing came in to straighten he'd just not pass and go to ground.

APoc184

Honorary Master
Thanks for the shots, Apoc. The Blues just couldn't really get into the game yesterday.

Anyone notice that JJ Engelbrecht didn't pass once? Serious case of white line fever. He'd run skew for the corner and every time a wing came in to straighten he'd just not pass and go to ground.

To be fair on him. That is what he is told to do by the coaches.

Exactly the same problem that Wynand Olivier had. Bloody nice oke and he was never the guy who didn't pass. But coaches told him to do crash ball each and every time. He once told us that he didn't do as he was told and afterwards the coaches told him that they will simply drop him from the team if he can't follow instructions.

Really sad that our players' skills are being muzzled to death by set game plans.

BobsLawnService

Expert Member
It was right at the end of the game. It was pure frustration on their part, and not easily condoned nor forgiveable. It's probably one of the most dangerous things one can do in a scrum, which is why Peyper letting it happen twice was just astonishing.. He really did have a shockingly poor game tonight...

I can buy the frustration argument if someone takes a swing in the heat of the moment or opportunistically plays the ball on the ground. That scrummaging was the result of at least two Lions forwards getting together before the scrum making a conscious decision to try to break Bismark's neck. That isn't frustration, it is pure malice and bad sportsmanship.

sand_man

Honorary Master
That's a lot of assumptions you making there, none of which is likely to vaguely represent the truth, but carry on.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill

Exactly the same problem that Wynand Olivier had. Bloody nice oke and he was never the guy who didn't pass. But coaches told him to do crash ball each and every time. He once told us that he didn't do as he was told and afterwards the coaches told him that they will simply drop him from the team if he can't follow instructions.

Really sad that our players' skills are being muzzled to death by set game plans.

That's bloody annoying. Makes them look bad, too. He's very fast, so I get the idea of having him run that line, but then you need someone to straighten, it'll make it very difficult to defend against on account of his speed and the defenders having to try to keep up. Especially in the space he had multiple times yesterday.

BobsLawnService

Expert Member
That's a lot of assumptions you making there, none of which is likely to vaguely represent the truth, but carry on.

You need the two front rowers on either side of the opposition hooker which implies cooperation and communication. The sole reason to. Intentionally put that sort of strain on a hooker's neck is to cause injury.

I may sound a bit harsh but I have no time for that sort of foul play in scrums. That is how career endinding injuries happen.

Last edited:

DJ...

Banned
You need the two front rowers on either side of the opposition hooker which implies cooperation and communication. The sole reason to. Intentionally put that sort of strain on a hooker's neck is to cause injury.

I may sound a bit harsh but I have no time for that sort of foul play in scrums. That is how career endinding injuries happen.

Actually it only requires one front-rower and once he does so the hooker on his team will follow suit on the angle, so it doesn't require a planned movement. It only requires one. In this case it was the tight-head who I think was Jacques van Rooyen at the time of the incident. He's not a traditional tight-head so might get away with the inexperience excuse, although I'd be hard-pressed to buy it...

Sm00thSm0k3

Expert Member

This doesn't surprise me at all. Didn't expect much else from Frans Ludeke to be honest. I know a guy who played for the Cheetahs and Cats (while the Cats were under Ludeke) and he reckons Ludeke is pretty much "my way or the highway" when it comes to coaching.

MickeyD

RIP
Cyclone Lusi about to hit Auckland... might be just during or after the Stormers' game in Hamilton (about 80kms away)!!!