Official Super Rugby 2016 Thread

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
55,031
Who are the other guilty ones?

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/sa-rugby-rocked-by-double-doping-failure-20160720

SARU would not name the players, and said the normal protocol was to protect the players identities with the matter being referred back to SAIDS.

...

“In some cases players accept the findings and do not contest them, so as to have their suspension begin as soon as possible,” Galant told supersport.com

The players, whose names are known to supersport.com, will now need to respond to the findings and decide whether or not they will contest them.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/another-sharks-hooker-in-doping-ban-20160720

In further bombshell developments that will bring the credibility of South African rugby into sharp focus, several players from slightly lower levels of competition domestically have fallen foul of doping charges.

These are known to include Border Under-21 lock Chase Benito (four years), Griquas Under-21 loose forward Nico Graaff (two years) and Border’s Currie Cup-level loose forward Lukhanyo Nomzanga.

Former EP Kings flank Siyanda Mangaliso, first banned for doping in 2013, has been collared again, whilst it has also been established that a Boland Under-19 player has been handed a three-year ban although an appeal hearing is imminent in his case.

You will need to wait...
 

Cray

Honorary Master
Joined
Oct 11, 2010
Messages
34,548
What the hell do you do for 4 years if you've been banned from all rugby? Just give up and switch careers?

Surely your insurance is also cancelled if you're found guilty of doping?

Hectic, 2 years at least is manageable - Imagine trying to maintain your fitness/skill levels for 4 years...?
 

MickeyD

RIP
Joined
Oct 4, 2010
Messages
139,117
Let's hear your theory? :)
Was selected to play a Super Rugby game.

Squad flew to other city for the weekend's game.

On the Friday he was suddenly "unavailable" and a replacement had to be rushed in.

Has not played since.

Is not injured.
 

DWPTA

Expert Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2006
Messages
4,366
What the hell do you do for 4 years if you've been banned from all rugby? Just give up and switch careers?

Surely your insurance is also cancelled if you're found guilty of doping?
Not the end of the world, Johan Ackermann ie.
 

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Joined
Aug 26, 2011
Messages
47,031
Guess that answers that...

Hadebe has quit rugby, Sharks confirm

Outgoing Sharks CEO John Smit says the union was saddened to hear the news of hooker Monde Hadebe being banned for doping.

Hadebe, 25, was on Wednesday banned from rugby for four years for a steroid-related doping offence.

He tested positive for two forbidden forms of steroid, Khalid Galant, chief executive officer for the SA Institute for Drug-Free Sport (SAIDS), confirmed.

Reacting to the SAIDS findings, Smit told the Sharks’ official website: “We are saddened to hear the news about Monde Hadebe. Monde is a man of integrity and a leader in his own right, who, over the years, has been a great ambassador for the Sharks.”

Smit, who will be replaced by Gary Teichmann as Sharks CEO later this year, also revealed that Hadebe had already quit the sport earlier this year.

“Due to a reoccurring injury that hampered his rugby progress he took the decision to retire from rugby at the beginning of the year, prior to SAIDS findings, and has successfully started a corporate career," added Smit.

“Monde had acknowledged his mistake in not being more careful and is most remorseful, and had co-operated with SAIDS from the outset, whilst they carried out their investigation.

“The Sharks support and acknowledge the great work that the Anti-Doping Council carries out, and we will continue to educate and provide guidance to our players on the importance of making informed decisions and to know exactly what they take into their bodies and whether or not that is permissible.”

Durban-born and educated at Westville Boys’ High School, Hadebe made three appearances for the Sharks in Super Rugby 2015 - against the Force, Lions and Bulls.

Hadebe has not featured for the franchise this year; he went to the Kings in pre-season for a trial period but returned to Durban having seemingly picked up an injury.

Meanwhile, in further bombshell developments that will bring the credibility of South African rugby into sharp focus, several players from slightly lower levels of competition domestically have fallen foul of doping charges.

These are known to include Border Under-21 lock Chase Benito (four years), Griquas Under-21 loose forward Nico Graaff (two years) and Border’s Currie Cup-level loose forward Lukhanyo Nomzanga.

Former EP Kings flank Siyanda Mangaliso, first banned for doping in 2013, has been collared again, whilst it has also been established that a Boland Under-19 player has been handed a three-year ban although an appeal hearing is imminent in his case.
 

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
55,031
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/cheetahs-to-play-friendly-in-japan-20160720

Cheetahs to play friendly in Japan

The game will serve as preparation for the Japanese Top League and Currie Cup.

It will be an historical match for the two teams, who both share the same sponsor.

The match kicks-off at 11:00 (SA time) at the Toyota Stadium in Toyota City, Japan and will be broadcast live on SuperSport (channel 208). :)

...

Cheetahs team v Verblitz:

15 Clayton Blommetjies, 14 Sergeal Petersen, 13 Rayno Benjamin, 12 William Small-Smith, 11 Maphutha Dolo, 10 Fred Zeilinga, 9 Shaun Venter, 8 Paul Schoeman, 7 Oupa Mohoje (captain), Tienie Burger, 5 Reniel Hugo, 4 Armandt Koster, 3 Tom Botha, 2 Joseph Dweba, 1 Ox Nche

Substitutes: 16 Elandre Huggett, 17 Charles Marais, 18 Johan Coetzee, 19 Carl Wegner, 20 Henco Venter, 21 Uzair Cassiem, 22 Tian Meyer, 23 Michael van der Spuy, 24 Sias Ebersohn, 25 Jacques du Toit

Verblitz is not the best side in the Top League, more 7/8 place down the line, and they may not play their best team as the Japanese usually do with these incoming tours. They are coached by Filo Tiatia which is an Sunwolves head coach candidate on the shortlist. Glad that the game will be broadcasted.
 

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
55,031
http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/s...s/news-story/35185f89adc93410261cc52a327702a2

Brumbies vs Highlanders

BRUMBIES (15-1): Aidan Toua, Nigel Ah Wong, Tevita Kuridrani, Matt Toomua, Robbie Coleman, Christian Lealiifano (co-captain), Tomas Cubelli, Jarrad Butler, David Pocock, Scott Fardy, Sam Carter, Blake Enever, Ruan Smith, Stephen Moore (co-captain), Scott Sio

Reserves (one to be omitted): Josh Mann-Rea, Allan Alaalatoa, Leslie Leulua’iali’i-Makin, Tom Staniforth, Michael Wells, Joe Powell, Andrew Smith, James Dargaville, Lausii Taliauli

HIGHLANDERS (15-1): Ben Smith (co-captain), Waisake Naholo, Matt Faddes, Malakai Fekitoa, Patrick Osborne, Lima Sopoaga, Aaron Smith, Liam Squire, Shane Christie (co-captain), Elliot Dixon, Luke Whitelock, Tom Franklin, Josh Hohneck, Ash Dixon, Daniel Lienert-Brown

Reserves: Liam Coltman, Aki Seiuli, Siosiua Halanukonuka, Mark Reddish, Dan Pryor, Te Aihe Toma, Fletcher Smith, Rob Thompson

I do not see one second rated player in the Highlanders match day squad, the Brumbies also looks healthy. The Brumbies has their loose trio back, that may counteract the Highlanders backline. This is going to be a big match.
 

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
55,031
Never knew that, when did it happen?

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/drug-scandals-that-rocked-rugby/

Drug scandals that rocked rugby

Johan Ackermann (South Africa): The Northern Transvaal lock was banned in 1997 for two years after traces of nandrolone were found in his system. However, the second-row forward returned to the game and ten years later became the oldest player to represent South Africa at the ripe old age of 37.

More names in the link, those were the early days. Steroids boet.
 

DWPTA

Expert Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2006
Messages
4,366
Ackermann had a two-year ban, two more years are stretching…
If he is serious about playing rugby he still can. Yea he needs to find something else to pay for the bills, but he has the will he has now something to work towards to.
 

DanDango

Honorary Master
Joined
Sep 4, 2013
Messages
11,065
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/cheetahs-to-play-friendly-in-japan-20160720



Verblitz is not the best side in the Top League, more 7/8 place down the line, and they may not play their best team as the Japanese usually do with these incoming tours. They are coached by Filo Tiatia which is an Sunwolves head coach candidate on the shortlist. Glad that the game will be broadcasted.

Toyota Cheetahs v Toyota Verblitz at Toyota Stadium in Toyota City

Looks like the winner is Toyota


Toyota Stadium
Nagoya_Grampus_game_in_Toyota_Stadium_100814.jpg
 

DanDango

Honorary Master
Joined
Sep 4, 2013
Messages
11,065
http://www.bdlive.co.za/sport/rugby/2016/07/20/lions-to-stick-to-game-plan

LIONS assistant coach JP Ferreira said they would not go into their shell against the Crusaders in Saturday’s eliminator, but would forge forth with the expansive gameplan that has earned them a place in Super Rugby’s penthouse suite.

The Lions finished second on the Super Rugby overall log and will play seven-time champions the Crusaders at Ellis Park on Saturday, with a chance to host a semifinal if they progress.

They are to play their first play-off game as a standalone union by playing an attractive brand of rugby and they are not about to change it, despite the high stakes.

The Lions finished the round-robin stage as the top try-scorers (71), three more than the Chiefs.

"Sometimes coaches fall into the trap of over-coaching or under-coaching in a very important week," said Ferreira.

"They’ll sometimes rest guys on Mondays and Tuesdays and have a light session on a Thursday and Friday. Going into last year’s Currie Cup final, we stayed with the same programme, the same training schedule and the same style of play. We are not going to change this time either.

"Our try-scoring motto got us to second on the log. Even though it’s play-off rugby, we are not going to change our style. Making the play-offs definitely affirms that we’ve been doing the right thing over the past three years."

Ferreira said they had stuck to their decision to rest their leading 15 players and flying a Currie Cup side to Buenos Aires to face the Jaguares. The second-string team copped a 34-22 defeat, which set the Lions up for a second date with the Crusaders.

The assistant coach said the proof was in the number of travelling members including head coach Johan Ackermann, who returned from South America feeling under the weather.

"All of us truly believe it was the right decision," he said.

"It gave the so-called next best guys an opportunity to experience an overseas trip and know how to play against an international side like the Jaguares.

"There were lessons learnt. We scored three really good tries in the first half, but in the second, we lost our discipline and it cost us.

"There are a couple of guys who came back feeling nauseous and ill. Even the coach, Johan, was throwing up (yesterday) morning. And it wasn’t just the jet-lag. Some had ice on the airplane, which was made from Argentinian tap water. So, there are a few with stomach bugs, but luckily we’ve got those 15 guys that are fresh and raring to go."

"If we sent our best side to Argentina, the win wasn’t guaranteed either. If we’d won, it was still not going to be an easy game against the Sharks."

To beat the Crusaders, the Lions will have to dig deep into the core of their ability. Although they will be without Nemani Nadolo, Todd Blackadder’s charges aren’t the easiest team to eliminate.

The Crusaders’ 43-37 win at Ellis Park came courtesy of All Blacks centre Ryan Crotty’s hat-trick, but the Lions might have edged the game had they started playing from the opening minute.

"It’s funny, thinking back to the Crusaders loss. We stood in the changing room and I had a chat to Andy Ellis, who said we were his second best side and that he loved watching us play. He predicted that we’d meet again in the play-offs.

"It was round six and we took a lot out of that game. We let the game slip in 20 minutes, when we fell asleep, and they capitalised. We’ve just got to forget about them and play the Lions way."
 

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Joined
Aug 26, 2011
Messages
47,031
Hurricanes

15 James Marshall, 14 Cory Jane, 13 Matt Proctor, 12 Willis Halaholo, 11 Jason Woodward, 10 Beauden Barrett, 9 TJ Perenara, 8 Victor Vito, 7 Ardie Savea, 6 Brad Shields, 5 Michael Fatialofa, 4 Vaea Fifita, 3 Ben May, 2 Dane Coles (captain), 1 Loni Uhila

Substitutes: 16 Ricky Riccitelli, 17 Chris Eves, 18 Mike Kainga, 19 Mark Abbott, 20 Callum Gibbins, 21 Jamison Gibson-Park, 22 Vince Aso, 23 Julian Savea

Can't say I blame them for benching Savea at this point. He hasn't had a great season, and Woodward has been performing very well. They'll be very glad to have Proctor back in the midfield, too. He's been having a cracker of a season.
 
Top