Official Thread: Samsung Galaxy S (I9000)

how would a hairdryer work? that is just bizarre

As bizarre as it sounds, he proved that it worked. I was also skeptical till he said it worked for him. Actually some people have luck with soldering Irons other with putting their phone in the oven. But the heat does something and it works for some bricked devices. There are a lot of threads about it on XDA. I remember there was one with quite a good explanation about whats happening when you heat your phone up, and why it allows access to download and recovery mode. But unable to find it now.
 
How can I begin to thank you? It did indeed work, I suspected this strategy might, but I wasn't sure which of the old firmware's to flash. Everything works and now if I flash to a newer rom I always have something that does work to go back to. Don't worry about the bandwidth, I've nearly hit my monthly limit but a working phone is so much more valuable to me. Clickme you're my new hero. I owe you big time. I shall spread work of your awesome skills far and wide.
A summary for anyone who experiences my problems:
1. It really is nearly impossible to brick an SGS, even if the phone seems totally dead, applying enough heat from a hairdryer (for five minutes or so) and then trying download mode can work!
2. If you encounter the E drive problem the solution is to flash an older rom that comes in 3 parts - I assume something that the phone needs is not in the newer updates and when updating from certain roms you may encounter this problem because the necessary files get 'lost'.
Amazing - no jig cable needed from absolute and utter bricked black screen of nothingness to working phone and I couldn't have done it without Clickme.

Three cheers for clickme!! :D
 
It was pretty hot to the touch. I dried it all around but focused on the back for about 4 minutes, not so hot you can't touch it, but enough that it still feels hot (not just warm). I used this method several times yesterday to get into download mode and it worked every time (on a few occasions it was warm enough that I didn't have to), possibly I damaged it a little and the back cover is a little creakier than usual but everything seems to be fine now.

I don't know if this will work for you since your bootloader may have been flashed (looking at your other thread) but it's worth a try.

I would add: to those who don't think they have the 3 button recovery mode to try the hairdryer before they do the fix, it seems that my phone doesn't have it, but I accidentally found I had it the first time after prolonged use of the phone (now I know the phone needs to be a bit hot for it to go into recovery mode). If my phone is cold no amount or combination of button pressing will get me into recovery/download.
 
It was pretty hot to the touch. I dried it all around but focused on the back for about 4 minutes, not so hot you can't touch it, but enough that it still feels hot (not just warm). I used this method several times yesterday to get into download mode and it worked every time (on a few occasions it was warm enough that I didn't have to), possibly I damaged it a little and the back cover is a little creakier than usual but everything seems to be fine now.

I don't know if this will work for you since your bootloader may have been flashed (looking at your other thread) but it's worth a try.

I would add: to those who don't think they have the 3 button recovery mode to try the hairdryer before they do the fix, it seems that my phone doesn't have it, but I accidentally found I had it the first time after prolonged use of the phone (now I know the phone needs to be a bit hot for it to go into recovery mode). If my phone is cold no amount or combination of button pressing will get me into recovery/download.

And now the sales of hair dryers will rise to a new high
 
bleh so i just flash back for nothing hahaha. Your Welcome. Anyway like is said earlier make sure your imei is still correct, and your rom will be rooted know, so make a backup if your efs folder if you haven't got one, and another one if you allready got a backup. And just before you got online this afternoon i told how to unroot if you want to. But glad I could have helped a bit.

Sorry about that. I tried to respond as soon as I saw your post, but I guess I was too late. IMEI is indeed correct. I generally avoid the experimental stuff - rooting, custom roms, etc, but I'll try to do the back-up later today. A million thank you's again.

And now the sales of hair dryers will rise to a new high

Samsung should put one in the sales box - charger, usb cable, earphones, and hairdryer - all the tools you need for your SGS:-)
 
Last edited:
Sorry about that. I tried to respond as soon as I saw your post, but I guess I was too late. IMEI is indeed correct. I generally avoid the experimental stuff - rooting, custom roms, etc, but I'll try to do the back-up later today. A million thank you's again.



Samsung should put one in the sales box - charger, usb cable, earphones, and hairdryer - all the tools you need for your SGS:-)

Hehe no problem, please backup your efs folder, can unroot again after that. This morning when again trying stuff I shouldn't my imei changed. You may not play around with all the stuff, but always good to keep , just in case something like this happend again and then after that your imei is corrupt
 
Anybody notice three button recovery mode is not working after the stock update to 2.2.1? Pretty sure I had it before the update, but cant seem to get it now.
 
Are you still able to get into download mode?

Nope, neither. Tried a few times. Will try again later. :) But looks like none of the vol up/vol down + home + power for recover and download mode works. This might throw a spanner in works of i feel like playing around later.
 
Nope, neither. Tried a few times. Will try again later. :) But looks like none of the vol up/vol down + home + power for recover and download mode works. This might throw a spanner in works of i feel like playing around later.

That's a bit of a worry, which provider are you with?
 
If MTN have screwed with the bootloader to kill the three button salute, then they need their tits slapped big time. For Samsung to let that through is even worse. Any other MTN subscribers suffering from the same issue?
 
If MTN have screwed with the bootloader to kill the three button salute, then they need their tits slapped big time. For Samsung to let that through is even worse. Any other MTN subscribers suffering from the same issue?

I updated my XFM yesterday and i still have the 3 button fully functional including download mode....
Used superoneclick 1.6.5 by shortfuse to root... Worked for me.
Used oclf to lagfix... Doesnt do as good a job as in 2.1 but gives it an extra boost...
Any ways, i still have the 3 buton after update... So i dont think mtn took it out....



Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App
 
Quote Originally Posted by el_duderino

Nope, neither. Tried a few times. Will try again later. But looks like none of the vol up/vol down + home + power for recover and download mode works. This might throw a spanner in works of i feel like playing around later.

Looks like it is just you so far.
 
Last edited:
Tits,thats is nice.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App

Only when MTN or Vodacom is not involved. Any kind of gratification from either source is generally accompanied by a huge price tag, very little gratification, and no tits whatsoever, except those in-store and on the end of their help-line.

Bend over and suck your toes: MTN turnover and profit in 2010: http://www.fin24.com/Companies/MTN-profit-up-21-pays-dividend-20100819

and voda: http://www.balancingact-africa.com/news/en/issue-no-540/money/vodacom-group-revenu/en

Neither will supply any kind of lubrication. You will have to pay for that yourself and their help desk will not be able to help, except to say 'insert it at 45 degrees and reboot'.

And then we have Telkrom and Sentech and the 'new' and 'improved' comms department under Roy! And the Tolls and Cele seeking legal advice and vindicated over two days with the same report from our protector (who I think is bloody amazing).

It has all gone upside down and inside out and has nothing to do with android. Apologies.

Have had my rant.
 
What's the best case for a galaxy s. Need one urgently. My nexus one case is taking strain with this big screen.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App
 
Not sure of the name but cousin got 1 from the vodacom shop in woodlands PTA that comes in 2 parts first is a duk rubber case that goes all round and then a plastic spine that goes over the back its the best case ive seen for a phone ever. Also comes with a screen protector. Im gonna get 1 this weekend.

What's the best case for a galaxy s. Need one urgently. My nexus one case is taking strain with this big screen.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App



Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X