Official Thread: Samsung Galaxy S (I9000)

How do I tell if its branded? Theres no software or logos indicating its branded. I can't get to a Samsung centre anytime soon and my last day ( 7 day return) is today. Nashua mobile have to send the phone away for a week to "identify" the problem :(. I was trying to flash the newest software to see if my problems still exist.

What version of Kies are you using? If you are using anything older than 2.0 then you will not get a firmare upgrade. Kies now only services firmware upgrades after version 2. If you are running an older version of Kies, upgrade and try again.
 
What version of Kies are you using? If you are using anything older than 2.0 then you will not get a firmare upgrade. Kies now only services firmware upgrades after version 2. If you are running an older version of Kies, upgrade and try again.

Iv'e downloaded the latest version 3 times lol. Kies keeps telling me "This device cannot be updated". Basically my phone is only 6 days old today and its giving me trouble. I thought a firmware update would fix the issues i'm having. When I start my phone up I hear a crackling skipping type noise, sound changes every time, when the samsung logo plays. The first 4 days the phone took quite a while to start up. Now suddenly it starts up quickly. Theres major micro-stutter, mostly noticeable in the "sea floor" live wallpaper and camcorder. It feels like the GPU in the phone is faulty or the gpu driver, one of the two. Tomorrow is my last day I can take back my phone before the 7 day notice is up.

For a phone of this caliber i'm really really not impressed.
 
Hmm, the three phone you should consider then in my opinion is:

SGS - Pros: Really good phone, does everything. The photos isn't as bad is corp makes it out to be. I think my photos in daylight is better than my friend's iphone 4.
Cons: Standard isn't that nice if you get stuck on 2.1 and Kies doesn't want to update you will need Samsung to upgrade it.
DHD - Pros: Sense is better than touchwich on the SGS, but both can be replace through the market by launcher pro which I think is superior to both.
Cons: Can't do video calling, which is a biggie for me
iPhone 4 - Pros: Really nice simple interface, like the DHD. Don't have to wait for the vendor for the software updates. Gadgets freely available.
Cons: Reliance on iTunes makes it closed system which is really annoying for me. ( The top two phones will pick up as a flash disk) Can't do video calling over 3G.

Thanks - I'm with Nashua Mobile, but it seems they are charging either a pay in or monthly phone charge of R75 p/m on the Galaxy S. Much more for the other two.

I was sure I read somewhere that someone got the Galaxy S straightforward on the Talk 130 package, with no additional handset charges. Must go look.
 
Thanks - I'm with Nashua Mobile, but it seems they are charging either a pay in or monthly phone charge of R75 p/m on the Galaxy S. Much more for the other two.

I was sure I read somewhere that someone got the Galaxy S straightforward on the Talk 130 package, with no additional handset charges. Must go look.

As much as I love my SGS, I have to admit that the (original) Desire is still a very good phone. I got my wife one last week, seeing as Vodacom is running a special where you get the Desire on a weekender contract with no pay-in. Of course, it's only available on new contracts, but there are always ways around that... ;)
 
Yes the Desire is a good option too, just a watered down version of the DHD (not that much watered down) and it was the top phone according to engadget for quite some time.
 
Iv'e downloaded the latest version 3 times lol. Kies keeps telling me "This device cannot be updated". Basically my phone is only 6 days old today and its giving me trouble. I thought a firmware update would fix the issues i'm having. When I start my phone up I hear a crackling skipping type noise, sound changes every time, when the samsung logo plays. The first 4 days the phone took quite a while to start up. Now suddenly it starts up quickly. Theres major micro-stutter, mostly noticeable in the "sea floor" live wallpaper and camcorder. It feels like the GPU in the phone is faulty or the gpu driver, one of the two. Tomorrow is my last day I can take back my phone before the 7 day notice is up.

For a phone of this caliber i'm really really not impressed.

Sounds like a hardware issue. I would insist on a replacement. Have you rooted it?
 
Rooted, but unrooted. Reset cache and formatted both sd cards. Factory reset too.

Then I would take it back. I really like my SGS, but maybe you should angle for swapping yours out for the HTC HD, which would have been my first choice if it was available.
 
Then I would take it back. I really like my SGS, but maybe you should angle for swapping yours out for the HTC HD, which would have been my first choice if it was available.

Yeah i'm taking it back tomorrow. I don't know if they will give me an option to change the phone, its with nashua mobile. I hear they have to send it away for a week before it qualifies for OBF...sigh :(
 
The new consumer protection act would suggest otherwise. If that doesn't help, I generally find shouting loudly and generally being obnoxious helps quite a lot. The louder you are, the quicker they want you out the shop.
 
The new consumer protection act would suggest otherwise. If that doesn't help, I generally find shouting loudly and generally being obnoxious helps quite a lot. The louder you are, the quicker they want you out the shop.

Lol :p Shouting always does the trick. Problem is Nashua mobile never have stock of anything. If they refuse though, its cancel contract time.
 
Which would be for the best. Nashua Mobile and Autopage have an absolutely crap reputation when it comes to customer service. Better to deal straight through the networks.

I never bother asking them for any information I need, always have to go online and visit their website etc etc. The box of this Galaxy S of mine looks like it has been around the world twice with the amount of scouring it has, looks about 5 years old.. obviously been chucked around alot. Though if you do cancel, what penalties are there?
The best was today when I was asking if she is 100% sure that tomorrow is the last day I have to bring it in, she was like "Just bring it in to me" with a massive attitude.
 
Last edited:
I just want Darky 10 dammit :) without the "testing" for errors but
 
I never bother asking them for any information I need, always have to go online and visit their website etc etc. The box of this Galaxy S of mine looks like it has been around the world twice with the amount of scouring it has, looks about 5 years old.. obviously been chucked around alot. Though if you do cancel, what penalties are there?
The best was today when I was asking if she is 100% sure that tomorrow is the last day I have to bring it in, she was like "Just bring it in to me" with a massive attitude.


Let us know how it turned out. Want to see if this 7 day policy thing works. And I think you probably going to have a problem if the box look like that, but I hope everything works out for you.
 
Let us know how it turned out. Want to see if this 7 day policy thing works. And I think you probably going to have a problem if the box look like that, but I hope everything works out for you.

Thats how the box was given to me, so if they bitch about it....sh*ts gonna break out in that shop!
 
Last edited:
Thats how the box was given to me, so if they bitch about it....sh*ts gonna break out in that shop!

So what's the verdict, did you get to swap it out? Could you take a new phone or must it be a SGS?
 
Went ok I guess. Told him i'm not accepting that phone back, I insisted that I don't want any excuses that they just did a software update or anything. If they send the same phone back i'm cancelling my contract straight away. I'm being ripped off as it is, paying R359 a month when its cheaper everywhere else. Oh and it takes a week to get a replacement, yay Nashua Mobile. I like the galaxy S, I don't wanna change it. I love everything about it, I just want a working one that doesn't have all these little problems. If a second new phone one gives me problems, then i'll look at alternatives.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X