Official Thread: Samsung Galaxy S (I9000)

The official update to Gingerbread is on the way (at least to the rest of the world), Samsung says it will start rolling it out mid May.
The article says the update brings:
· Faster Performance – Multimedia content now has a lower CPU consumption rate, while support for more powerful 3D Graphics enables an enhanced mobile gaming experience.
· Upgraded Usability – The user interface has been improved, enabling faster access and control and a more intuitive user experience. Users will also benefit from improved copy-and-paste functionality.

I also am looking forward to Darky's v10
 
Why doesn't everyone just use MIUI? It's by far the most user friendly ROM / interface of all the ones I've tested. Miles ahead of Sense or TouchWiz... The lack of an app drawer brings a bit of a challenge, but that's easily overcome by stuffing apps in a folder and adding the folder to the dock. :)
 
Why doesn't everyone just use MIUI? It's by far the most user friendly ROM / interface of all the ones I've tested. Miles ahead of Sense or TouchWiz... The lack of an app drawer brings a bit of a challenge, but that's easily overcome by stuffing apps in a folder and adding the folder to the dock. :)

Last time I tried it stuffed up my IMEI and I had to go 2 days without my phone because of it. I will try it again when all the cm7 bugs are sorted out.

Since I installed DebusRom I noticed my camera takes ages to take the photo from when I press the button to take the picture. Is it just this rom or is all the gingerbread roms like this?
 
Last time I tried it stuffed up my IMEI and I had to go 2 days without my phone because of it. I will try it again when all the cm7 bugs are sorted out.

Since I installed DebusRom I noticed my camera takes ages to take the photo from when I press the button to take the picture. Is it just this rom or is all the gingerbread roms like this?

Not too sure about the camera issue... Mine's a bit erratic, sometimes being fast and others a bit slow.

The latest builds of MIUI are really good, though. Did you flash the SGS efs backup ZIP file, as per the instructions? You can then just restore the /efs folder and get your IMEI back. :) Otherwise, just flash a Froyo ROM and you're back in business. I can really recommend you give the latest MIUI build a try (MCGv2). The battery drain has been improved a lot and most of the CM7 initial issues have been addressed...
 
I am on local now, so I can only download a rom next month in any case. Don't want to use my free afrihost account on to big a download.
 
I am on local now, so I can only download a rom next month in any case. Don't want to use my free afrihost account on to big a download.

If you want Junky you can get my free 1 Gb Afrihost account, cause I've never needed to use it. If its still working...
 
If you want Junky you can get my free 1 Gb Afrihost account, cause I've never needed to use it. If its still working...

Hmm thanks, but I really don't want to take something that you might find use for later.
 
Did you flash the SGS efs backup ZIP file, as per the instructions? You can then just restore the /efs folder and get your IMEI back. :)

how does one restore /efs?

i also corrupted my IMEI with MIUI RC3b, and luckily flashing back to froyo fixed it - would have liked to have been able to restore /efs without flashing a different rom, miui looked quite cool, except for not being able to use the phone as a, uhm, phone :erm:
 
how does one restore /efs?

i also corrupted my IMEI with MIUI RC3b, and luckily flashing back to froyo fixed it - would have liked to have been able to restore /efs without flashing a different rom, miui looked quite cool, except for not being able to use the phone as a, uhm, phone :erm:


Ja, I did flash the efs backup zip file in CWM but it still corrupted my IMEI. Maybe I did it wrong.
 
HOW TO DOWNLOAD SOUTH AFRICA STOCK FROYO (to flash with ODIN) - OFFICIAL KIES VERSIONS (XFA, XFV, XFM)

If you screwed around with firmware but like to go back to stock RSA Froyo (XFA, XFV, XFM) before the Gingerbread update arrives, then try "Check Fus Downloader".
I'm still trying it out (currently downloading XFM firmware), but it seems that this nifty app downloads your original stock firmware from samsung based on your product code and stuff, like KIES, but flashable with ODIN.

Check it out:

http://fus.nanzen.se/
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1032437

Now you can go bananas with custom roms, and have a safe original firmware backup!

EDIT: You can also use this tool to download the XEU GB directly and safely from Samsung!
 
HOW TO DOWNLOAD SOUTH AFRICA STOCK FROYO (to flash with ODIN) - OFFICIAL KIES VERSIONS (XFA, XFV, XFM)

If you screwed around with firmware but like to go back to stock RSA Froyo (XFA, XFV, XFM) before the Gingerbread update arrives, then try "Check Fus Downloader".
I'm still trying it out (currently downloading XFM firmware), but it seems that this nifty app downloads your original stock firmware from samsung based on your product code and stuff, like KIES, but flashable with ODIN.

Check it out:

http://fus.nanzen.se/
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1032437

Now you can go bananas with custom roms, and have a safe original firmware backup!

EDIT: You can also use this tool to download the XEU GB directly and safely from Samsung!

Thanks man, will check it out.
 
HOW TO DOWNLOAD SOUTH AFRICA STOCK FROYO (to flash with ODIN) - OFFICIAL KIES VERSIONS (XFA, XFV, XFM)

If you screwed around with firmware but like to go back to stock RSA Froyo (XFA, XFV, XFM) before the Gingerbread update arrives, then try "Check Fus Downloader".
I'm still trying it out (currently downloading XFM firmware), but it seems that this nifty app downloads your original stock firmware from samsung based on your product code and stuff, like KIES, but flashable with ODIN.

Check it out:

http://fus.nanzen.se/
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1032437

Now you can go bananas with custom roms, and have a safe original firmware backup!

EDIT: You can also use this tool to download the XEU GB directly and safely from Samsung!

Schweeeeeet!
 
I was trying to find the mybroadband article that stated which network will receive which version of froyo but I couldn't find it using google or mybroadband search.

Is it right in assuming XFV - vodacom, XFM MTN, XFA- unbranded? I thought all mtn versions was unbranded.
 
MTN, as far as I know, is unbranded even though they have their own (XFM) version. I have a contract MTN XFM Galaxy S and there are no MTN bloatware, customizations or bootscreens or whatever. Not on Eclair or Froyo.

If you want to download the Froyo firmware for MTN through the application in my previous post, use the XFA product code on the website, but replace XFA with XFM at the end of the string.

Thats what I did and I successfully downloaded the firmware.

Sent from my GT-I9000
 
FUSDownloader Step-by-Step Guide - for the ubernoob!

I think it would be of value to some to explain exatly how I used FUSDownloader.
The website and stuff can be a bit confusing.

Step 1: Create a folder on your Desktop, call it "FUS"


Step 2: Download Fusdownloader (from http://fus.nanzen.se/) and copy "CheckFusDownloader_v0.5.exe" to the "FUS" Folder on your Desktop.


Step 3: Go to your KIES Folder (e.g."C:\Program Files\Samsung\Kies\External\FirmwareUpdate") and copy the file named "FusCipherUtil.dll" to the "FUS" folder on your Desktop. Note - it MUST be KIES 2.0!


Step 4: Locate "cmd.exe" on your PC (e.g. "C:\Windows\System32") and copy "cmd.exe" to the "FUS" Folder on the Desktop. I find this the easiest since you won't be needing to type long and difficult file paths in Command Prompt.


Step 5: Right-click "cmd.exe" in the "FUS" folder and click "Run as Administrator".


Step 6: Select your phone's firmware version, and then copy the following code into the Command Prompt window. Do this by Right-clicking and then clicking "paste". Ctrl+V does not work in Command Prompt.

For XFM (MTN - Unbranded), copy and paste:

CheckFusDownloader_v0.5.exe -dl I9000XWJS5/I9000OXXJS4/I9000XXJPY/I9000XWJS5 XFM

For XFA (CELL C / Other Networks - Unbranded), copy and paste:

CheckFusDownloader_v0.5.exe -dl I9000XWJS5/I9000OXXJS4/I9000XXJPY/I9000XWJS5 XFA

For XFV (Vodacom - Branded), copy and paste:

CheckFusDownloader_v0.5.exe -dl I9000XWJS5/I9000XFVJS1/I9000XXJPY/I9000XWJS5 XFV


Step 7: HIT ENTER!

Your Firmware should be downloading within a few seconds!
If you followed the steps correctly, you should see something like this in the Command Prompt Window:

**************************************************************
The system cannot find message text for message number 0x2350 in the message file for Application.

Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
The system cannot find message text for message number 0x8 in the message file for System.

C:\Users\Laptop\Desktop\FUS>CheckFusDownloader_v0.5.exe -dl I9000XWJS5/I9000OXXJS4/I9000XXJPY/I9000XWJS5 XFM
Model: GT-I9000
PDA: I9000XWJS5
CSC: I9000OXXJS4
PHONE: I9000XXJPY
PCODE: XFM

------== Retrieved info ==------
LATEST_FW_VERSION: I9000XWJS5/I9000OXXJS4/I9000XXJPY/I9000XWJS5
BINARY_NAME: GT-I9000_XFM_1_20110128140919.zip.enc2
LAST_MODIFIED: 20110128141625
BINARY_CRC: 3707871068
Downloading file. Please wait...

************************************************************


Step 8: You will notice a .enc2 file in the "FUS" Folder. After the download successfully completed, you will have 2 files: .enc2 and .zip
Both should be the exact same size (to give you an indication, my XFM version: 178013KB)

Unzip the .zip File - it has the Firmware (.tar) inside.


Step 9: Flash .tar with ODIN


Note:
It seems the software developer will be releasing a new, GUI version of Fusdownloader soon, but in the meantime, the above method should work just as well!

Well, it certainly can't be easier than this! Just imagine: you can be your own Samsung Client Service Center haha

To download Gingerbread 2.3.3 XEU (JVO), copy and paste in step 6:
CheckFusDownloader_v0.5.exe -dl I9000XXJVO/I9000OXAJVO/I9000XXJVO/I9000XXJVO XEU

Please be warned, I am not sure if the JVO download includes the Gingerbread Bootloaders, although I strongly believe they do! (perhaps someone can analyze the .tar and confirm if Gingerbread bootloaders are included??)
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X