Old UPS stock?

Was looking at Eaton on site yesterday. The power graphs only show a max of ~50 minutes and anything below like 50w doesn't show. Due to loss I assume.

Routers are already 12v, you could run on 12v direct and skip 220v conversion.

thechamp

Honorary Master

thechamp

Honorary Master
Was looking at Eaton on site yesterday. The power graphs only show a max of ~50 minutes and anything below like 50w doesn't show. Due to loss I assume.

Routers are already 12v, you could run on 12v direct and skip 220v conversion.
Adsl routers are 9V iirc.
Edit* I see the are 9 and 12v types.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I got 3x 1500VA Eaton UPSs (2x9ah) from Makro for R800 each on sale in 2017. They were old already and only one can now power my router and ONT for nearly 2 hours, the other 2 UPS will last only about 30 min.

I'll be buying new batteries for them this or next week.

It was fully charged and was plugged in until the power went off. Think I might buy another mecer or just replace batteries in my current mecer.

Chuckmyster

Executive Member
A UPS is designed that in an event of a power failure you have enough time to save your data and switch off your computer.
What you need for loadshedding is an Inverter
You cannot expect a tiny 9 amp hour lead acid battery to be your loadshedding solution

A UPS is designed that in an event of a power failure you have enough time to save your data and switch off your computer.
You cannot expect a tiny 9 amp hour lead acid battery to be your loadshedding solution
I have used 7AH system before run my router just fine, they only use around 3 watts of power.

My mecer 2000va with 2x 9ah was overkill, but batteries are dead now :(

JayM

Expert Member
My landlord's generator is on the blink, so I had to buy something cheap to last until it's sorted. 1KVA Tescom UPS with 2x7Ah batteries lasts longer than a 4.5 hour JHB load shedding slot. It's powering a Mikrotik Router and Openserve ONT. Not bad for R845.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Could easily carry my router/ONT/switch for over 4 hours when it was newly bought (with already old batteries that had stood however long).

Chuckmyster

Executive Member
I am just reminding people what a UPS was designed for :) The fact that we are able to get through loadshedding with a UPS not switching off in that time is a bonus.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I am just reminding people what a UPS was designed for :) The fact that we are able to get through loadshedding with a UPS not switching off in that time is a bonus.
And all people want is a plug and play system that will just work, which makes some other solutions not ideal.

Gordon_R

Executive Member
UPS batteries are notorious for failing, consider them as 'disposable' (recyclable) items. My cousin has several (ex-office supply stock) from the last round of load-shedding a decade ago, but almost all the batteries are dead.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
UPS batteries are notorious for failing, consider them as 'disposable' (recyclable) items. My cousin has several (ex-office supply stock) from the last round of load-shedding a decade ago, but almost all the batteries are dead.
Easy to replace the batteries