One Click Backup Software

kilobits

Executive Member
Hi All

I have a number of external drives and need some foolproof backup software to run on them. They are all normal drives that have been fitted into external enclosures.

They are being used by friends and family who are actually frightened of their computers and are using them to backup email, photos, docs etc... but cannot get their heads around various easy backup regimes. If it means more than one or two clicks... then they go into melt-down and cannot do it.

So... anyone out there with any recommendations ? An automated, no-click solution would be great... but anything that would enable a trouble-free backup for these fogies would be appreciated!

medicnick83

Paramedic
I use Cobian Backup, very easy to use, step by step is simple as hell and so long the drives are plugged in and ON and the CB settings are correct, it's brilliant.

kilobits

Executive Member
Hey All

I will give it a squizz... as long as it is simple and won't scare the fogies then we have a solution!

Thanks for the input...

kilobits

Executive Member
How about Cobian Backup ? Its free and can schedule backups
Thanks for that... it seems perfect!
I like the way it runs as a service....

So now just need to find some sort of gadget that can plug the USB drives in and switch on the machines in order to begin the backups!!!

:)

Drake2007

Expert Member
So now just need to find some sort of gadget that can plug the USB drives in and switch on the machines in order to begin the backups!!!

:)
Ah missing an index finger and thumb attached to a human...

How about backup to an FTP server?

Terencek

Expert Member
An excellent freebie which has been around for some time is Karen's Replicator http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

It allows customisation to backup either everything, or individual directories or drives, and scheduling. I also use it simply to synchronise directories across drives or machines, as it's very good at replicating deletions to keep your duplicate directories or backups in absolute synch. Tiny footprint too. Been a solid tool used by many for years.

kilobits

Executive Member
Ah missing an index finger and thumb attached to a human...

How about backup to an FTP server?
Hahaha... not quite. The computer is a new discovery for a few of them... even switching on a laptop requires a couple of attemts for 1! and other's memory is not what it used to be. Many a time have they forgotten to plug in the USB cable for the camera and now cannot get Picassa to "download" their "film" onto their "hardrive"... so they phone me and I run through it again!!!

I am not even going to begin to explain memory cards to them... cable - in laptop - in camera / hard drive ... then click click ... aaah!!! :)

I had to try and recover photos of a holiday one weekend because once printed they were deleted... then the camera was used to format the SD card for the next round of photos... only to want to email copies to family overseas and... oops... the printed images did not want to fit into the modem!!!

AAArrgh. So Cobian seems fine as long as they can remember to connect the drives when scheduled!

As for FTP backup... with current bandwidth costs... not an option yet. Oh Seacom, why hast thou forsaken us!