Opel Corsa 1.4 Jerking when turning

The_Afterlife

Hi Guys, im at my wits end with my corsa, It is jerking like it is not getting fuel only when i turn. The engine light just came on and i dont want to loose my baby (the car) I have already replaced the fuel pump, fuel pump relay and done a full service (Air, spark, fuel and oil) , I dont know what to do anymore. (The corsa has about 180000km on the dail.)

I also dont have a lot of cash left (This year has been kak) so i am hoping it is a small issue.

Please help

etwylite

Does the jerking occur at low speeds (as around a parking lot), or higher suburban speeds or sweeping highway bends or all three? More pronounced in one or other direction? Does Rev counter bounce or drop during jerking? Any sounds associated with the jerking?

The_Afterlife

All three, the rev counter seems to drop (like its not getting fuel) and it backfires slightly also. (the backfiring generally happens when the car gets straightened out again before it drives ok again in a straight line.)
Hope this makes sense.

i am not a car guy, but i had the above done by 3 different mechanics (original message) i also had the clutch replaced and the cambelt.

saor

Honorary Master
Hi Guys, im at my wits end with my corsa, It is jerking like it is not getting fuel only when i turn. The engine light just came on and i dont want to loose my baby (the car) I have already replaced the fuel pump, fuel pump relay and done a full service (Air, spark, fuel and oil) , I dont know what to do anymore. (The corsa has about 180000km on the dail.)
So you had this issue and sent it for a full service...did you mention this issue to the mechanic?

The_Afterlife

So you had this issue and sent it for a full service...did you mention this issue to the mechanic?
Yes i did tell the mechanic the issue, they all just do what they think is wrong and then they refer me to someone else. This is what happens when you take your car to a backyard mechanic.

saor

Honorary Master
Yes i did tell the mechanic the issue, they all just do what they think is wrong and then they refer me to someone else. This is what happens when you take your car to a backyard mechanic.
Where in SA are you?

saor

Honorary Master
Cape town
Then I'll recommend a place to work on your car. Have used them for the past few years. This most recent time I decided to find someone closer to home (bit of a mission getting from here to Brackenfell) and after towing my car and being referred to other people I eventually just went back to Goch & Cooper.

Because if there's an issue they can't deal with in-house, they have places close by they regularly work with. So Goch took my gearbox out & sent it next door to get worked on. I just deal with Goch and they handle the rest and as always they notified me beforehand of any work & costs before proceeding. You can ask for an emailed quote and they'll send you a quote you can look at before they proceed with any work.

Not sure how their pricing compares to other places but their service is really good. Speak to Dion if you call.

https://www.gandcauto.co.za/

TheChamp

Honorary Master
The coil or failure in one of the HT leads, it sounds like it's at the initial stages of failure, It starts by being mostly pronounced at low speeds, or when pulling off, that's the misfiring you are hearing.

Since you have done most of the obvious stuff in the servicing just clean the ICV with carb cleaner aa it can also contribute to issues.

etwylite

Have any of the mechanics plugged a reader into the onboard diagnostics (OBD) to see if there are any fault codes recorded? Most electrical issues or sensor failures will show a fault code which will indicate the problem area?

Mekon

Expert Member
Has the fuel pump been replaced at any point? Does this happen when the tank is full or if it is low on fuel or all the time? I got a friend who had his fuel pump replaced (BMW 328i) and it was not put in properly so as soon as the tank reached quarter it would jerk when going around corners.

The_Afterlife

Have any of the mechanics plugged a reader into the onboard diagnostics (OBD) to see if there are any fault codes recorded? Most electrical issues or sensor failures will show a fault code which will indicate the problem area?
No they havent, backyard mechs dont have diagnostic equipment

The_Afterlife

Has the fuel pump been replaced at any point? Does this happen when the tank is full or if it is low on fuel or all the time? I got a friend who had his fuel pump replaced (BMW 328i) and it was not put in properly so as soon as the tank reached quarter it would jerk when going around corners.
Yes it has, one of the first things that was done

The_Afterlife

And its all the time, does not matter the fuel level

s0lar

Expert Member
Reminds me of my sound system wiring I. My first car. Would take a corner the sound in the opposite side channel would cut out. Music sounded like liquid, thinking back perhaps it was the amount of weed we smoked back then.

etwylite

No they havent, backyard mechs dont have diagnostic equipment
I am diy only and I have a basic R200 OBD reader in my toolbox. Should be first port of call for any repair tbh. Pays for itself on first use.
If you jack up both the front drive wheels off the ground. Start the car, put car in 2nd gear accelerate to about 40kph and turn the steering normal turning to full lock left and right. Are you able to replicate the issue? If not I would, I would suggest driving car full lock in a couple of circles to left and right listening for a ticking sound to establish if having dealt with the obvious fuel supply and electrical possibilities you might actually be dealing with steering related drive shaft/CV/ power steering issue with 180k km on the clock.

B-1

Expert Member
Since the engine light comes on it should have a obd code.

You didn't say which one you have but find a video like this and get the codes and post it for us: