Openserve, what a disaster

Apogee

Anyone else also noticed how abysmal Openserve's service is?

I reported a fault on an ADSL line three weeks ago that is still not fixed. In contrast, when I needed Telkom's help in the past, they always showed up within 48 hours (even on a Sunday), and fixed the fault the first time.

Openserve just ignores reported faults until you finally reach someone senior enough on the social media team to put pressure on them to allocate a technician to the job.

The technician then 'fixed' the fault at the SDC, but when another technician later showed up and worked on the same SDC on someone else's fault, they messed up the work that the first one did, and left us back to square #1 with no voice and only the faintest ADSL signal. This happened twice. After the first time that this happened, I was able to get the original technician back again and he fixed it, but now he won't return to fix the others' mistakes for the second time, and I am left up the creek without a paddle.

To add insult to injury, Openserve removed all the lines that were on Telkom's exclusion list for ASSIA, and dumped everyone back on the disaster of a DLM system, which lowers the sync profile every time you unplug the modem during a thunderstorm.

How can these clowns still be in business?

Last edited:

skimread

Executive Member
Don't tell me. I had exact same thing currently going on. Down for a month. Got it fixed enventually. I assume another tech came and disconnect me and now I am down for a month again. I log until I am blue in the face. Tried all the medium to get them to resolve it. The app,the telkom store, social media etc. I have probably contacted them 20 times but the technician just will not come. They refuse to give the tech contact details so we just play this dance of me logging they promising someone will come but it never happens

Bad thing is that ADSL down for 2 months now I have to think of cancelling but my complex can't get fiber apart from Metrofibre ISP but they want at least 15 people to sign up with an ISP and pay R900 additional fee each so 15 people aren't doing it.

What area are you in?

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Can't say I've had issues with Openserve. The few times I've ever had issues they were quite quick to call me to arrange a time they can stop by.

Apogee

Openserve just left the SDC in question like this.

The wires have now been exposed to the elements for at least two days.

Telkom SDC2.jpg

Telkom SDC1.jpg

Cannot take the risk of closing the door, as that might make me liable for damages.

mrfanman

What I am guessing is that they are putting all effort into Fibre.

If you have adsl... Good luck. Everything is propably out sourced and maintanance became secondary as they are spreading Fibre.

Had the same issues with adsl as you mentioned. Where the technician comes out and mentions that something is wrong that he cannot fix and will have to log a ticket or something. 13 technicians later the guy was willing to put in the effort and fixed it.

When fiber arrived I switched and the service from thst point was quite good and quick.

Apogee

What I am guessing is that they are putting all effort into Fibre.

If you have adsl... Good luck. Everything is propably out sourced and maintanance became secondary as they are spreading Fibre.

Had the same issues with adsl as you mentioned. Where the technician comes out and mentions that something is wrong that he cannot fix and will have to log a ticket or something. 13 technicians later the guy was willing to put in the effort and fixed it.

When fiber arrived I switched and the service from thst point was quite good and quick.
At this point there are no plans to roll out fibre to the neighborhood for some reason.

We are LOS from Telkom's HQ, and there is a huge DFA office just around the corner from the troublesome SDC, but that does not make the slightest difference.

skimread

Executive Member
Does someone not have a contact at Openserve as I have logged about 20 tickets and nothing gets done.

Apogee

So this morning I found out that Telkom and Openserve are running two different systems, which battle to communicate with each other.

This just adds another layer of complexity to the fault reporting process, and leads to duplication of work for the call centre agents where a lot of the information gets lost in between.

Jcrossley66

Hello All. Please see how to get the problem noticed by the technicians dispatchers

To: 'JonasS@openserve.co.za' (Dispatcher)
Cc: 'NothandoM@openserve.co.za' (Email linked to the Board of Directors https://www.gov.za/about-government/contact-directory/soe/soe/telkom-sa-ltd )

Subject: My ADSL has been Down for 16 Days

Dear Jonas.

My name is Jordan Crossley. I am a new Telkom customer who joined Telkom last month. Here is my story.

LANDLINE NUMBER:
REFERENCE NUMBER:
ESCALTED REFERENCE:
ADDRESS: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Day 1: After an entire month of waiting for my ADSL to be installed, the technician finally came to install on the 25th of last April

Day 2: Less than 24 hours later, my line went down. That very same evening, I went to Telkom with the modem. The in-store technicians tested the modem and it worked perfectly, they logged my fault.

Day 3: The next day, Telkom called to see what the problem was and asked me to disconnect the red wire and place it directly into the box in the wall to test the line. It still didn’t work which indicates its either the wall box or the line. After this, I received my reference number.

Day 7:A week later, after waiting for technicians, I went into the store to tell that my fault still had not been seen to. They escalated my fault.

Day 14: I received confirmation that a Telkom technician would be coming to my house to fix it. After calling Telkom a few times, the technician never once picked up his phone and never came to even evaluate the problem.

Day 15: I called Telkom again in the morning to see what time the technician would come. He never answered his phone. I called again in the afternoon, I was told that no one had been assigned. Which means my fault was moved to the back of another technicians workload. Last night, as I stood in line, the sales people were selling ADSL, and I was telling the very same people my story. All of them walked out the store. I cost Telkom R8000.00 in monthly revenue by just talking to 10 people. By the time it was my turn, the in-store technician gave me your email address and phone number as he could see that I was very angry at the poor service I had received.

Day 16: Here we stand.

This problem has cost me the following expenses this month:

1.)R600 in LTE Data ( I work from home. No internet =No money)
2.)R300 in Airtime to call Telkom. (I’ve called repeatedly each day to just find out when my fault would be seen to)
3.)R400 in lost ADSL usage. (R800 a month/ 31 days X 16 days no usage)

Reparations:

1.)I want a technician out to my house to fix this problem TODAY!!!!!
2.)If one does not, I will be back in the store to tell more possible customers my story. I cant afford to cancel my contract, so I’ll just cost Telkom more revenue. Telkom loses money because of Openserve, Openserve loses their contract with Telkom. Openserve technicians lose their jobs.

I look forward to using the service I pay for or saving people time and money by telling them my story.

Please also see that the email address that is linked to the Board of Directors on the government directory is CC’d to this email. I have done this as I am one of many disgruntled customers who haven’t received a single courtesy call from a technician or Telkom representative and would recommend that their friends rather use another service provider.

To the board of Directors at Telkom.

I am a conference producer by trade and have a wealth of knowledge in marketing, operations, customer service, time management and project management. I am happy put aside an hour of my time for FREE to train dispatchers on customer service and time management so that they can train their technicians.

Call me on:xxxxxxxxx to take me up on the offer.

Best regards,
Jordan Crossley

Last edited by a moderator:

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I think it's probably more of a PE thing. Their level of service, or at least with regards to technicians on the ground, is generally quite good here.
I would tend to agree.