OpenView HD - here's how many are watching

Fox1

Expert Member
For a free service it ain't bad but it can be better. The kids channels and movies+ show content that's better than anything you'll find on SABC and the picture quality in HD for some of the content makes it a great service for free.

Swa

Honorary Master
For a free service it ain't bad but it can be better. The kids channels and movies+ show content that's better than anything you'll find on SABC and the picture quality in HD for some of the content makes it a great service for free.
For a free service yes. Unfortunately I still need Dstv in addition so no use for their content then and I get a PVR.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
I'm having mine installed this weekend.
As ThatGuy said in the Article comments. Multichoice started their reign with just 1 channel, so let's see what OpenView can do.

The fact that I have no monthly subscription is just absolute win for me. Really awesome.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Asked what the uptake of OpenView HD has been over the past nine months, Nonge said that [highlight]37,606 households[/highlight] now have OpenView decoders, which he said amounts to approximately [highlight]188,000 viewers[/highlight].
This makes perfect sense: people that purchased OpenView-capable decoders discovered that the channels and content is so crap that they engaged in more unprotected sex than usual instead of watching OpenView.

Swa

Honorary Master
This makes perfect sense: people that purchased OpenView-capable decoders discovered that the channels and content is so crap that they engaged in more unprotected sex than usual instead of watching OpenView.
:confused:

kianm

Honorary Master
Not looking bad though, they've just started and I'm sure the numbers will grow. Free services are easier to attract people to

j4ck455

Executive Member
Nonge is quoted as saying that there are approximately 188000 viewers based on a figure of 37606 households (presumably Nonge means that 37606 OpenView HD decoders are known to be active).

That means Nonge is assuming that for every Openview HD household/decoder there are on average 5 viewers. It's an optimistic thumb suck, perhaps even overly optimistic.

That said, I would not be surprised if the number of active OpenView HD decoders is larger than the number of active StarSat decoders (especially the R300.00 HD variant with a very laggy UI).

Swa

Honorary Master
Nonge is quoted as saying that there are approximately 188000 viewers based on a figure of 37606 households (presumably Nonge means that 37606 OpenView HD decoders are known to be active).

That means Nonge is assuming that for every Openview HD household/decoder there are on average 5 viewers. It's an optimistic thumb suck, perhaps even overly optimistic.

That said, I would not be surprised if the number of active OpenView HD decoders is larger than the number of active StarSat decoders (especially the R300.00 HD variant with a very laggy UI).
Seems a realistic number considering the market this is aimed at. The only doubt I have is about the number of active decoders as it's a one way service with no recurring payments.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Seems a realistic number considering the market this is aimed at.
It's certainly debatable.

The only doubt I have is about the number of active decoders as it's a one way service with no recurring payments.
It's probably safe to assume that most of the people who spent good money on buying an OpenView HD capable decoder don't subscribe to StarSat or DSTV, coupled with the fact that there are no OpenView HD subscription fees implies that the number of decoders sold is a fairly accurate reflection of the number of active decoders.