Jan

Drifting in the black
Edited the article to add the following under "balance of conveniences":

Granting the interdict would also cause harm to the broader public interest, as viewers unable to receive SABC 1, 2, and 3 normally would then also not be able to access the channels for free via OpenView HD.

McT

The Humble Scot!
My greatest gripe is the cost to taxpayer. If you pay your license, then that too.

It does not stop with this parastatal but goes into government too. They cost the country countless millions in the legal fees they rack up defending and suing over petty and trivial matters. :sick:

Good day for SA, bad day for Multichoice and their cartel
Concur! Anything that rocks this stronghold is good news for the consumer.

entrepr

Expert Member
SABC should learn not to go to court without any moral high ground to stand on

Petec

Expert Member
The majority of rural areas only have the sabc and e-tv channels as an option. As we know, local radio is abysmal in getting news and relevant content to them, and that the only avenue for any form of entertainment, education and news, are the sabc channels.
Again, it's the parastatals bleeding their mandate dry and then selling it off to one of their chommies (naspers)
As we all know, they should take their licence fees and bailouts and only worry on decent news reporting and content creation.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
So let me get this straight. You HAVE TO pay for a ***ing TV licence if you own a TV, which pays for SABC, so why the hell can't you get the channels on the new decoder? Brainless idiots.

sajunky

Honorary Master
So let me get this straight. You HAVE TO pay for a ***ing TV licence if you own a TV, which pays for SABC, so why the hell can't you get the channels on the new decoder? Brainless idiots.
Correct. You have to pay TV licence if you have facility to receive any TV broadcast. It would be paying twice to SABC if OpenView were charged for broadcasting SABC channels.