OpenWRT announces support for E3276 modem on TP-Link routers

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Great! Been waiting for this:

TP-Link WR842N/ND All V1 models supported. BlackWidow only.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Installed this on my WR842ND v1 and works a charm!

Thanks for the link, I can finally use the USB port on the router for a 3G modem now and have a much more robust feature set. :)

Wahroonga Farm

Hi guys,

Glad you like our ROOTer software. Actually we only piggy back on OpenWRT and are not directly connected.

Read the WIKI (1st post) for the story of it's evolution.

Huntsman is the latest stable development release. HM 2013-04-13

New features continue to roll-out.

Happy for any SA Beta testers out there to contribute.

Cheers

John k

Sunny Australia

PS Dairyman, our brilliant programmer is Canadian, so its an amazing International collaboration.

Last edited:

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Hi guys,

Glad you like our ROOTer software. Actually we only piggy back on OpenWRT and are not directly connected.

Read the WIKI (1st post) for the story of it's evolution.

Huntsman is the latest stable development release. HM 2013-04-13

New features continue to roll-out.

Happy for any SA Beta testers out there to contribute.

Cheers

John k

Sunny Australia

PS Dairyman, our brilliant programmer is Canadian, so its an amazing International collaboration.

Thanks for popping in here. I am loving the firmware - my router used to need a restart every couple of days because the wifi would freeze the entire unit up. I'm now on 16 days uptime and it is still as stable as a rock.

Only issue I am having is getting my wifi connections on 300Mbps, only managing 65Mbps in each direction. I have followed the directions on the site but it had no effect. I will check out the latest update and try again.

Cheers!

I will check out the new update

Wahroonga Farm

Thanks for popping in here. I am loving the firmware - my router used to need a restart every couple of days because the wifi would freeze the entire unit up. I'm now on 16 days uptime and it is still as stable as a rock.

Thanks for the feed-back. :)

Only issue I am having is getting my wifi connections on 300Mbps, only managing 65Mbps in each direction. I have followed the directions on the site but it had no effect. I will check out the latest update and try again.

Cheers!

I will check out the new update

These are my settings and results using a 703n (150Mbps connection).

Settings

150_Mhz.jpg

Inssider snap

inssider.jpg

Proximity to the router and channel congestion/ interference (other wifi signals) will dramatically lower the performance and throughput.

Load Inssider (windows) and investigate. :)

Last edited:

djp2k

Excellent, will try this as soon as I get the E3276 from 8ta and will provide feedback on how it went. Would save me having to throw my MR3420 v1 out....

lotus123

The combination of E3276 and MR3420V2 is working well. It's very stable and no dropped connections. You do need to plug the modem into a powered hub, because it's a real power hog. The router firmware upgrade takes a bit of finesse as well - it took a few goes before it started working (but the folks on the user forum over there told me to persist, and I'm glad that I did).

These speeds are almost double those I was getting with the MF668 using TP-Link's own software:
Download Speed: 8802 kbps (1100.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 2196 kbps (274.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 48 ms
07 May 2013 11:10:55 AM

Yesterday a download ran up to 1.2Mbps for most of the 80mb file. That's what I was getting when CellC was at it's peak in terms of network performance (i.e. available capacity/load).

I wish they'd get LTE into our area now!

djp2k

So finally got the E3276 and updated firmware on the mr3420v1 to the latest OpenWRT version. Router working with wirless and old E173 but will not pick up the E3276 - says 'Modem Not Present'.

Might be the power issue Lotus mentioned but not sure whether to spend on a powered hub in case the it doesn't help.

There is a long thread on Whirlpool on the problems with the E3276, probably due to the different connection interface it uses. So till now no progress. Will keep trying and let you know if I come up with a solution.

whatwhat

Executive Member
The E3276 is a hard one to get working, I've got a 3020 and sometimes rooter picks it up but most often it does not.

I've posted logs here and on whirlpool, hopefully its a software issue they can sort out.

djp2k

The E3276 is a hard one to get working, I've got a 3020 and sometimes rooter picks it up but most often it does not.

I've posted logs here and on whirlpool, hopefully its a software issue they can sort out.

might have to resort to a new router... do you know of any that work with the e3276?

whatwhat

Executive Member
Ebay, they are not locally available as far as I know. If I don't come right with this 3020 as well I'm going to buy a Dovado Tiny. I really dont have the time to sit around and reboot the 3020 and replug the E3276 until it decides to work.

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
So finally got the E3276 and updated firmware on the mr3420v1 to the latest OpenWRT version. Router working with wirless and old E173 but will not pick up the E3276 - says 'Modem Not Present'
I have had an E3276 working reliably on a 3420v1 with the ROOter firmware.

djp2k

I have had an E3276 working reliably on a 3420v1 with the ROOter firmware.

After searching around it seems there are two different 'types' of E3276 modems, one of which is called Hilink which is the type supplied by 8ta. The Hilink version uses a different interface to connect with the drivers built into the modem. This seems to be the problem.

Can you confirm whether yours was Hilink or did you need to use the desktop app to connect the modem?

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
After searching around it seems there are two different 'types' of E3276 modems, one of which is called Hilink which is the type supplied by 8ta. The Hilink version uses a different interface to connect with the drivers built into the modem. This seems to be the problem.

Can you confirm whether yours was Hilink or did you need to use the desktop app to connect the modem?
I got mine from Cell-C and it is not the HiLink version.
There's a non-HiLink firmware for the E3276 on the ROOter download page.

Does your Telkom E3276 support 2300MHz TDD LTE (LTE Band 40)?

djp2k

I got mine from Cell-C and it is not the HiLink version.
There's a non-HiLink firmware for the E3276 on the ROOter download page.

Does your Telkom E3276 support 2300MHz TDD LTE (LTE Band 40)?

Ya, that's what I understand I have - the model is 'E3276s-920' and receive LTE signal from 8ta which is on 2300MHz.
Tried the ROOter firmware but did not work for this modem.

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
Ya, that's what I understand I have - the model is 'E3276s-920' and receive LTE signal from 8ta which is on 2300MHz.
Despite what their website says. :)
Tried the ROOter firmware but did not work for this modem.
You tried the ROOter firmware on your router, or you tried the E3276 non-HiLink firmware from the ROOter downloads page?