Oracle Cloud - Free Certifications + Training + Always Free Tier.

shadow_man

Executive Member
Another good freebie, from a company that us tech's LOVE TO HATE. Oracle... (damn you for killing Sun Microsystems, and your ludicrous billing / random switching of contractual terms!)

Nonetheless, this is a good offer by them - free Oracle Cloud training and CERTIFICATION (yes, free as in free beer!) Free until the 15th of May AND you can do the exam from home (good internet connection / pc required).

If you're new to the industry, or sitting at home with not much to do - then perhaps this can help kick start your career, or get you that much needed move out of helpdesk / system administration --> Cloud...

I wish more vendors would do this!

Side note: Oracle also have an "always free" Cloud tier - and offer 250 Euro of free credits when signing up.

https://lnkd.in/deY7VJg
https://lnkd.in/dhNEM5F
https://lnkd.in/d3f_uwn

shadow_man

Executive Member
Passed the intro Oracle Cloud Foundations cert this weekend (call it boredom).

Observations are that, after having any Cloud experience these certs become much easier (too easy in fact).

It's just replace product X with product Y from another provider.

I'll probably aim to do the Cloud Architect Associate --> Cloud Architect Professional before the "free exams" expire (15th May).

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Hate to be negative @ someone having fun - but a word of caution:

Their concept of "always" free shifts occasionally and they killed a bunch of accounts that didn't turn into paying customers (Mine included). Their "standard" images like ubuntu etc also came with weird alterations that took forever to suss out, billing is full of surprises and they have some sort of management code baked into their images that peg the CPU at 100% under certain conditions.

Their 2x VM allowance is generous but jirre I'd be very reluctant to put anything real on there.

Some of the GCP learning paths currently come with free resources allocations...I'd frankly rather go down that route. Else the Azure spot pricing was pretty cheap for ZA region last I checked

Last edited:

shadow_man

Executive Member
Hate to be negative @ someone having fun - but a word of caution:

Their concept of "always" free shifts occasionally and they killed a bunch of accounts that didn't turn into paying customers (Mine included). Their "standard" images like ubuntu etc also came with weird alterations that took forever to suss out, billing is full of surprises and they have some sort of management code baked into their images that peg the CPU at 100% under certain conditions.

Their 2x VM allowance is generous but jirre I'd be very reluctant to put anything real on there.

Some of the GCP learning paths currently come with free resources allocations...I'd frankly rather go down that route. Else the Azure spot pricing was pretty cheap for ZA region last I checked

Yep and i'd 100% agree with you, it's Oracle after all (they're notorious for billing ****ery, killing Sun Microsystems and more).

The only thing I'd use the instance for is VPN or quick bastion host / file transfer.

Mainly I'm already AWS / Azure certified to a decent level - so I just thought i'd add this for shits and giggles, as their certs are free until 15th May.