OVHD decoder end of life (E04)

Mshengu68

My 4 year old OVHD decoder showed E04 error and only promo channel and radio stations played. I called the OVHD call centre to have it reset after USSD option didn't work. I was informed that my decoder reached its "end of lifespan" and I need to buy a new one.
Can someone please illuminate this ridiculous explanation so I can understand how a perfectly working device has reached its end of life

joshuatree

Expert Member
USSD option is usually an activation. Do a factory reset on the decoder options, and see what happens?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
My 4 year old OVHD decoder showed E04 error and only promo channel and radio stations played. I called the OVHD call centre to have it reset after USSD option didn't work. I was informed that my decoder reached its "end of lifespan" and I need to buy a new one.
Can someone please illuminate this ridiculous explanation so I can understand how a perfectly working device has reached its end of life

I found all of this with a simple Google of "OVHD E04":

NO SECURE DEVICE
20 - CHANNELS NOT SUBSCRIBED
200 – CHANNELS NOT ACTIVATED
ERROR E04
If you receive any of these onscreen notifications you will need to reactivate your decoder:
1. Press the ‘HELP’ button on your Openview remote control to display the help screen.
2. Your STB number will then be displayed on the help screen. Please write this number down.
3. Press ‘EXIT’ on your remote control to return to channel 100.
4. Dial the number on the bottom right-hand corner of your screen using a cell phone and follow the
prompts. Use your STB number to complete your decoder activation.
5. Your decoder may reboot and update its software during the activation. Please allow a few minutes for
this.
6. Once your decoder has been activated, you can use the ‘P+’ and ‘P-‘ or ‘P↑’ and ‘P↓’ buttons on your
remote control to change channels.

The following errors can be cleared by following the easy steps below:

(200) - NO SECURE DEVICE / CHANNEL NOT ACTIVATED / CHANNEL NOT SUBSCRIBED
(206) (69) - ACCESS DENIED
(20) - CHANNELS NOT SUBSCRIBED
(E04) – THIS SERVICE IS BLOCKED
(E06) – CARD IS NOT AUTHORISED(20) - CHANNELS NOT SUBSCRIBED

If you receive any of these onscreen notifications, you will need to reactivate your decoder or clear errors:

1. Go to channel 100.
2. Dial the number (*120*6843*1#) on the bottom right-hand corner of your screen using a cell phone.
3. Select option 2 to cleat error codes and follow prompts.

Error messages
Openview: on-screen error messages.
You can clear these from your mobile phone.

Dial *120*6843*1# from your mobile
Select option 2
Enter your postal code
Select option 1
Select the error that appears on your screen
Enter your STB number
Process completed

1620099045590.png

1620099267028.png

tyepj

Mshengu68 I sympathize with you. None of the advise given above is usefull.
Factory reset does not work.
OVHD tells you to use the USSD functionality to clear error messages or re-activate your decoder but neither functionality works. They do however charge you for trying. They reply with the function didn't work, please try again later.
Neither do they reply to the Whatsapp help line. The email response is an automated reply which also doesn't help to solve the problem.
This is the complete opposite of customer service.
Maybe this is time to give SA television a complete miss and dump the decoder in the bin.
Good luck with solving your E04 error.

Langjan

After battling with the same problem for some time, someone eventually did get back to me, only to tell me that they have new decoders and no longer support my model. I must buy a new one. Nice. When you need a financial boost, you just launch a new decoder that everybody must buy. Well, I have now subscribed to DSTV EasyView with my 10-year old decoder.

alues

I have the same problem (E04) for the past 2 months plus and I have done the reactivation more than 20 times, reset the decoder and still not working, only promo channel.

K Naidoo

Openview is gone mad today I get the problem I cannot watch TV channels only can watch promo channel and listen to radio on decoder it has the 04 I'm not even working I think not everyone got money they will lose customers

In K

What happened to pay once, then it's free forever? As per below and:

You only have to pay once for your combination of a decoder, dish, and installation; there are no contracts and, most importantly, No Monthly Fees!"

Charlenek

Hi guys,ovhd error 04 was displayed on my screen at 15:05pm today,I followed the USSD *120*6843*1# it didn't work . Enter the postal code for the city you live in Eg.Durban is 4000. When I entered 4092 for Chatsworth it did not work. So basically enter the USSD follow prompts ,for postal code enter your city code, thereafter your set top box number and it should work instantly. Mine did,good luck!

Charlenek

Openview is gone mad today I get the problem I cannot watch TV channels only can watch promo channel and listen to radio on decoder it has the 04 I'm not even working I think not everyone got money they will lose customers
Follow the ussd,enter your city postal code and not your area code followed by the STB number it will work instantly

HandyTechTipper

My decoder had a red light and bmail message saying "Decoder upgrade required".
I did a factory reset (default password is 1234) then turned off and on... Didn't help... Then rescanned channels
Then used the menu option "Reboot" under Settings...
Then all channels came back and red light disappeared SOLVED!
Note: I didn't need to reactivate after the factory reset.
Yay

Attachments

• 20210809_172436.jpg
    20210809_172436.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 28

K Naidoo

My decoder had a red light and bmail message saying "Decoder upgrade required".
I did a factory reset (default password is 1234) then turned off and on... Didn't help... Then rescanned channels
Then used the menu option "Reboot" under Settings...
Then all channels came back and red light disappeared SOLVED!
Note: I didn't need to reactivate after the factory reset.
Yay
How do you do it to work

K Naidoo

What happened to pay once, then it's free forever? As per below and:

You only have to pay once for your combination of a decoder, dish, and installation; there are no contracts and, most importantly, No Monthly Fees!"
You are right

K Naidoo

I can watch channels now open you said there's a problem 1 hour ago the technical team is working on it now I can get channels never again thank god they put it back online

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Old Openview decoders have stopped working — this is why

Openview clients with older decoders are being cut off from the service and notified that they need to buy a new decoder.

Several Openview customers have contacted MyBroadband to complain about the move, saying that they were promised a once-off decoder purchase would give them access for life.