Pagans Lay Complaint Against Creecy

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
The SA Pagan Rights Alliance (Sapra) is laying a hate speech complaint against Gauteng education MEC Barbara Creecy, according to a report on Thursday.

The Citizen newspaper reported that pagans all over South Africa had voiced their disapproval of a statement Creecy made on Monday.

"The practitioners from faith-based organisations are developing an anti-harmful religious practice strategy to guide and protect learners from spiritual attacks and abuse," she said at a press briefing.

The "harmful practices" included Satanism and occultism.

She was speaking at a signing ceremony with religious groups, to develop an "anti-harmful" religious strategy in schools.

"The practitioners from faith-based organisations are developing an anti-harmful religious practice strategy to guide and protect learners from spiritual attacks and abuse," she said.

Sapra spokesman Damon Leff told the paper the MEC's statement was hate speech and they would complain to the SA Human Rights Commission.

"The MEC's statements regarding 'occultism' and 'Satanism' constitute hate speech against religious minorities who have nothing to do with the recent cases of alleged Satanic activity."

Octarine Valur of the SA Vampyre Alliance (SUBS: CORR) told the paper Creecy's statement was creating hostility towards religious minorities.

"This encourages prejudice and intolerance towards these groups, and may even contribute to violence against those whose dignity and right to religious freedom is being made out to be a criminal offence."

Source : Sapa /mr/th/dd
Date : 21 Mar 2013 11:14

murraybiscuit

Executive Member
i don't understand what satanism has to do with (neo)paganism.
surely by aligning themselves with satanism they just fuel the them-and-us bigotry?

FaSMaN

Expert Member
Wait what?

Theres a "SA Pagan Rights Alliance" and a "SA Vampyre Alliance" , I wonder if there is a "SA lycanthrope Alliance"?

Lycan cult might be interesting :p

surely by aligning themselves with satanism they just fuel the them-and-us bigotry?
Her statement said "Cults and Satanism" I would presume that there against it as she used the word Cult (which neo-paganism is considered as sometimes) unless were talking old paganism.

Last edited:

Sinbad

Honorary Master
A pentacle is a pagan symbol. Pagans wearing it will be branded satanists due to the ignorance of the mainstream, and as such will be persecuted by this initiative.

FaSMaN

Expert Member
A pentacle is a pagan symbol. Pagans wearing it will be branded satanists due to the ignorance of the mainstream, and as such will be persecuted by this initiative.
Not just that but in the dark ages pagens were persecuted as witches, simply because they wanted to keep the old believes.

Lycanthrope

Honorary Master
Let's not forget that Satanism as the Pagans know it is of the LaVeyan variety and totally harmless (well, as harmless as any religious nutjobbery is). They like to differentiate between that and the angry cat-killing Christians (what they boil down to at the end of the day).

Frankly, I'm with Zoidberg--let them fight it out amongst themselves. I get a twisted kick out of religions arguing with each other about whose fairytale is better/real/justified/whatever.

ponder

Honorary Master
All religions are equally ****ty, but believing in spirits is way worse than believing in God, imho.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit

The term may also refer to any incorporeal or immaterial being, such as demons or deities, in Christianity specifically the Holy Spirit (though with a capital "S") experienced by the disciples at Pentecost.
Christian theology can use the term "Spirit" to describe God, or aspects of God — as in the "Holy Spirit", referring to a Triune God (Trinity)(cf Gospel of Matthew 28:19).
Christian Science uses "Spirit" as one of the seven synonyms for God, as in: "Principle; Mind; Soul; Spirit; Life; Truth; Love"[11]

milomak

Honorary Master
As long as a religion doesn't espouse human sacrifice in this day and age, I am largely ambivalent towards it as a first step.

semaphore

Honorary Master
All religions are equally ****ty, but believing in spirits is way worse than believing in God, imho.
Paganism is primarily nature based religion you uneducated git. I have a few friends that follow it and they are way more peaceful and accepting than most Christians i know.

But either way i think they should remove all religious bull**** from schools. Less believing in some fake super human being, more believing in factual science and evidence. Not some apparent book written by some apparent phophets thousands of years ago which were most likely high on gold dust.

Last edited:

SoulTax

Executive Member
The practitioners from faith-based organisations are developing an anti-harmful religious practice strategy to guide and protect learners from spiritual attacks and abuse," she said at a press briefing.
But they are all harmful. :confused: So it should all be taken away surely?

Garson007

Honorary Master
Paganism is primarily nature based religion you uneducated git. I have a few friends that follow it and they are way more peaceful and accepting than most Christians i know.
Your delusions can be as accepting as you want them to be, but pagan religions contain a lot more spiritual bull**** than faith in a God does; the philosophy behind God is a lot more sound than Paganism. It is one of the reasons why it became so much more popular during the ages of increased philosophical thought.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Your delusions can be as accepting as you want them to be, but pagan religions contain a lot more spiritual bull**** than faith in a God does; the philosophy behind God is a lot more sound than Paganism. It is one of the reasons why it became so much more popular during the ages of increased philosophical thought.
And as the age of increased philosophical thought progresses the philosophy behind God will also fall out of favour for a more non-religious system... and hopefully soon!