Part shared between different cars

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Here's an interesting thing. Sometimes automakers will partner up and share part to reduce cost, so you could find pars from cheap cars on more expensive ones.

What are the craziest or interesting part shares you know of?

To start off I spotted this small similarity between a Toyota Aygo and Peugeot 407.

IMG_20171008_164125473.jpg
IMG_20171008_164906845_HDR.jpg

I think these are actually common across a lot of cars.

Last edited:

Mekon

Apparently you can use Nissan 300zx headlights on a Lamborghini Diablo.

I've also heard that if you in the middle of nowhere and you break down just fine the nearest fence and cut some pieces of wire from the fence and you can repair your car as long as it's a Ford Cortina

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Nissan 350Z & 370Z engine = same as Renault Vel Satis motor.

Chrysler Crossfire - Merc SLK
Truth. I use a Crossfire service manual when I need to troubleshoot my SLK. They're almost identical under the skin.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I had a Ford Bantam. If you chew off the black plastic molding with the Ford badge on the back of the ignition key you end up with an all metal key with an embossed Mazda badge.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I had a Ford Bantam. If you chew off the black plastic molding with the Ford badge on the back of the ignition key you end up with an all metal key with an embossed Mazda badge.
That was most Ford/Mazda in the 80's and 90s. My Meteor shared all the same parts as the Mazda 323.

PhireSide

Executive Member
Some Hyundai and Kia vehicles share many parts. Kia Rio / Hyundai i20, Kia Cerato Hatch / Hyundai i30 as well as Kia Picanto / Hyundai i10 are based upon the same platform, as an example. The engines are also sometimes shared.

Another example that springs to mind is this ubiquitous VAG indicator light:

maxresdefault.jpg

Off the top of my head it used to be shared between Audi, VW, Seat and perhaps Skoda as well?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Apparently you can use Nissan 300zx headlights on a Lamborghini Diablo.

I've also heard that if you in the middle of nowhere and you break down just fine the nearest fence and cut some pieces of wire from the fence and you can repair your car as long as it's a Ford Cortina
You don't have to cut any wire off a fence, Just scout around on the ground. Within 100 m you will find enough wire to start a small scrap yard ...