PC Upgrade - Thoughts and Price

DRMGA

Hi guys! Hoping for some feedback please - I am finally upgrading my 10 year old pc build, and need something that will keep going for at least a couple of years - my current PC has had its day, and while it has survived longer than anticipated, it is slow, can't keep up with my work requirements, PC temps are higher than they should be, I struggle playing any games on even the lowest settings, and the motherboard has failing ports (thanks to load-shedding/power surges over the years, before I had a surge protector). Would really appreciate some advice on price expectations and if I'm on the right track for the build :)

Background:
  • I'm not a huge gamer, so not looking to play the latest releases on the highest settings with the best FPSs - just the occassional game on moderate graphics settings on my dual display 720p and 1080p monitors is perfect (my current specs do not support this however).
  • I do some graphics design work on occassion.
  • My PC also serves as my plex media server for the family (typically up to 3 devices streaming simultaneously).
  • In addition to this, my daily workflow typically consists of at least 20-40 chrome tabs running simultaneously, along with a full MS Office Suite, and my work-software.
  • When I travel, I often need to screen mirror and pull confidential files off my PC.
  • Long-lasting, fast, and reliable hardware is important.
  • I would love the convenience of built-in wifi (for my 100mbps fibre line), to free me from extra lan cables.
  • A cool, quiet PC would be great, with as much dust-resistance as possible. I don't have the time to open up my chassis every month to remove mounds of dustbunnies.
Current PC Specs (To Be Replaced):
  • Chassis: Coolermaster CM690
  • Motherboard: Asus P6X58D Premium LGA1366
  • Processor: Intel QuadCore I7-950 (Bloomfield Nehalem)
  • CPU Cooler: Coolermaster V10
  • Memory: 12GB DDR3 Memory at 1066MHz
    • 1 x 8GB DDR3 Memory at 1066MHz
    • 2 x 2GB DDR3 Memory at 1066MHz
  • Storage:
    • 1 Samsung Evo 840 SSD = 240GB
    • 3 WD HDDs = 6TB
  • GPU: Nvidia GTS-250 Stock
  • PSU: Aerocool V12XT-800
  • Peripherals:
    • 2 x 1080p monitors
    • Logitech MX performance mouse/keyboard
    • TPLink wireless access card for wifi (this is ancient - had to play around with compatible drivers to get it to work)
Potential PC Specs (Reasonable? Overkill? Not enough? Please share your thoughts)
  • Chassis: Corsair Obsidian Series 500D / CoolerMaster Cosmos II (something with good airflow, easy to build in, easy to clean, expandable, and long-lasting: room for upgrades/new builds etc)
  • Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero WIFI (is this worthwhile? Wifi reasonable/effective? Meets my needs?)
  • Processor: Intel Core i9 9900k
  • CPU Cooler: Unsure? I've heard of the H115i cooler?
  • Memory: A reliable 16GB? 32GB? of DDR4 at around 3200MHz
  • GPU: Something relatively inexpensive that can handle the basis, like the Gigabyte Radeon RX580 8GB? Perhaps a little better?
  • PSU: I imagine my current 800W PSU should hold up, but am open to replacing if needed. It's age and bronze rating is invariably quite energy-inefficient
  • Storage: Depending on how much everything costs, I might consider buying a larger primary SSD (my current SSD is running fine though)
I am looking at spending up to around R25k on this new build. Am I on the right track? Would you swap anything out for any other hardware options? Any thoughts/advice/opinions would be most appreciated please!

Thank you in advance!

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Go for an AMD Ryzen processor - they are better for your needs.

If you had said that you need to play the latest games at the absolute highest framerates, I would have recommended the 9900k. But based on your mixed workload, including streaming and media creation, the AMD processor suits you better. You can either go with the 8 core 3700X (cheaper than the 9900k), or the 12 core 3900X. There is a 16 core 3950X coming out in about 2 months - maybe less.

If you have the money to spend, get the 3900X. Better future proofing. But get a decent CPU cooler with it.

Memory - 32GB of RAM clocked at 3200Mhz, CL14. You don't really need more. I'd advise a 2 x 16GB kit though, leaving you with room for more memory.

Storage - get a 1GB NVMe SSD. Blazing fast.

ponder

Honorary Master
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) (also have a look at MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC)
Fractal Design Meshify C

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
I recently bought the following:
Ryzen 7 3700X with stock cooler. For a 3900X I would still use the stock cooler and see how it goes. The i9 9900K doesn't come with a cooler.
Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite - according to reviews, the best value board. Doesn't have wifi though, but you can get a dongle for that?
1TB mushkin Pilot - Very affordable for the size, and damn fast compared to my old SATA SSD.
2x16GB 3200Mhz CL16 Gskill trident - I would have gone for the 3200 CL14 or 3600 CL 16 if I could find stock. 32GB is not that expensive these days, and can easily fit into your budget.
Chassis - Phanteks Eclipse P600S. Oh wow. Cable management options has come such a long way since my previous PC. This thing oozes quality. It has great airflow, but if it isn't enough for you, you can take off parts of the front panel and top panel to expose the mesh underneath. I can go on about it, but watch a youtube review and decide for yourself.

Ryzen 3000 is still very new though. Currently I do have the issue that my XMP profile is reset after I power off. I haven't tried manually setting the timings.
I have also had my secondary hard drive disconnect twice in the last 2 weeks, which it didn't do on my previous PC. I have since disabled turning off the HDD for power saving (which I read might help), and it hasn't happened since. It is too short to tell if that solved it.
It was also only my secondary drive. I have another drive which it hasn't happened with.

Quicks

I recently bought the following:
Ryzen 7 3700X with stock cooler. For a 3900X I would still use the stock cooler and see how it goes. The i9 9900K doesn't come with a cooler.
Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite - according to reviews, the best value board. Doesn't have wifi though, but you can get a dongle for that?
1TB mushkin Pilot - Very affordable for the size, and damn fast compared to my old SATA SSD.
2x16GB 3200Mhz CL16 Gskill trident - I would have gone for the 3200 CL14 or 3600 CL 16 if I could find stock. 32GB is not that expensive these days, and can easily fit into your budget.
Chassis - Phanteks Eclipse P600S. Oh wow. Cable management options has come such a long way since my previous PC. This thing oozes quality. It has great airflow, but if it isn't enough for you, you can take off parts of the front panel and top panel to expose the mesh underneath. I can go on about it, but watch a youtube review and decide for yourself.

Ryzen 3000 is still very new though. Currently I do have the issue that my XMP profile is reset after I power off. I haven't tried manually setting the timings.
I have also had my secondary hard drive disconnect twice in the last 2 weeks, which it didn't do on my previous PC. I have since disabled turning off the HDD for power saving (which I read might help), and it hasn't happened since. It is too short to tell if that solved it.
It was also only my secondary drive. I have another drive which it hasn't happened with.
Have not had any issues like that with my 3600 and Asus X470-F, I have the same case, ram, and a 500GB muskin pilot no problems. Running 3 drives together works perfect and the ram have been on xmp called something else in the bios though cant remember now.

Have you updated the bios?

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Have not had any issues like that with my 3600 and Asus X470-F, I have the same case, ram, and a 500GB muskin pilot no problems. Running 3 drives together works perfect and the ram have been on xmp called something else in the bios though cant remember now.

Have you updated the bios?
Yup, everything except the raid drivers are on the latest versions.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
As per above post rather go for ryzen 3700x or 3900x.

Go for 32gb ram 3000mhz or so is fine.

DRMGA

Thank you for all your advice so far guys - most appreciated! I was a little hesitant at first to consider a Ryzen 3000 series precisely because of compatibility issues, but I'm now convinced :)

I'm a big fan of the Fractal case designs - will definitely check it out! They're also typically cheaper than the Coolermaster etc so if they're on par, that always helps :) Will also compare with the Phanteks (had never heard of them before so thanks!)

I generally prefer ASUS mobos but I see that compatibility with this Ryzen series is better with Gigabyte at the moment - will weigh up my options! Would also like at least one USB C slot for future-proofing, so will take a look and see what I can find that doesn't break the bank! I'm already spending a lot - don't want to be ripped off for anything haha.

And will stick with some decent 2x16gb memory, as advised!

Thanks again! Much appreciated!

ponder

Honorary Master
I'm a big fan of the Fractal case designs - will definitely check it out! They're also typically cheaper than the Coolermaster etc so if they're on par, that always helps :) Will also compare with the Phanteks (had never heard of them before so thanks!)

I generally prefer ASUS mobos but I see that compatibility with this Ryzen series is better with Gigabyte at the moment - will weigh up my options! Would also like at least one USB C slot for future-proofing, so will take a look and see what I can find that doesn't break the bank! I'm already spending a lot - don't want to be ripped off for anything haha.
In your price range the Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus is a better board than the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite so I would stick with the Asus and it has a wi-fi model,

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
This generation, the only reason to buy Intel is if you need the absolute highest framerates. For everything else, get AMD. They are more efficient, and generally have more cores for the same amount of money. You get a lot more money for your performance, and especially if you are doing media creation like you are, you get more performance - period.

In other words, the 12 core 3900X will be faster than the 9900K for your mixed workload, even if you don't take into account cost. And it does so while being more efficient (for the work that it does).

AMD has also sorted out their compatibility issues these days, since it is 2 years since Zen 1 launched.

Hellhound105

Expert Member
This generation, the only reason to buy Intel is if you need the absolute highest framerates. For everything else, get AMD. They are more efficient, and generally have more cores for the same amount of money. You get a lot more money for your performance, and especially if you are doing media creation like you are, you get more performance - period.

In other words, the 12 core 3900X will be faster than the 9900K for your mixed workload, even if you don't take into account cost. And it does so while being more efficient (for the work that it does).

AMD has also sorted out their compatibility issues these days, since it is 2 years since Zen 1 launched.
And I still have a gen 1 CPU no issues

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
I.t.o motherboard options, I mainly used this video for a value comparison:

And then I also saw that ASUS is much more expensive in SA compared to Aorus.

wizardofid

Executive Member
Intel is faster.
AMD is cheaper.

It's the way it's always been.

View attachment 710077
Always been ?, should I remind you of netburst, and the resulting rise of AMD, it's very likely if it wasn't for netburst AMD would not have gotten to where it is today, that said their K7 chip would have been a game changer regardless of netburst and like Intel, AMD eventually ended up giving the world bulldozer and really sucked for a generation or two after that.

Intel had to endure 5 years of netburst, till core2duo and the rise of icore.However ryzen is kicking ass and taking names. icore series is getting a bit long in the face....

ThatOtherDude

Where are the days when AMD and Intel are both upstaged by an outsider called "Cyrix".

It's sad that we only have Intel and AMD to choose between.

Intel, the massive behemoth who overcharges and AMD the "little guy" always fighting an uphill battle.

ponder

Honorary Master
Where are the days when AMD and Intel are both upstaged by an outsider called "Cyrix".

It's sad that we only have Intel and AMD to choose between.

Intel, the massive behemoth who overcharges and AMD the "little guy" always fighting an uphill battle.
Cyrix assets eventually ended up with AMD after going to NS and then VIA first.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
In certain cases, AMD is now actually faster than Intel, and it is currently always more power efficient (on the desktop)