Pixel 2 XL vs Samsung S8 Plus

Charl10

So I'm moving to the USA shortly, and I'm long overdue a new phone.

Due to budget constraints I'm not in the market for the newer gen phones, so I'm looking at one of the two in the title.

Anyone have any meaningful experiences/insights on the topic?

A general Google search and some forums seem to suggest the two are almost equal with the S8+ maybe edging it slightly. It may end up that price is the deciding factor for me.

Charl10

Always thought I would get a Pixel if I ever get the opportunity to buy it in the USA (cos so much cheaper) but objective research seems to point the way to the Samsung...

marioat1

Expert Member
So I'm moving to the USA shortly, and I'm long overdue a new phone.

Due to budget constraints I'm not in the market for the newer gen phones, so I'm looking at one of the two in the title.

Anyone have any meaningful experiences/insights on the topic?

A general Google search and some forums seem to suggest the two are almost equal with the S8+ maybe edging it slightly. It may end up that price is the deciding factor for me.
Get it USA if you're moving there shortly

mr_norris

Expert Member
The Pixel 2 has a weird lag / slowness bug, so be mindful of that when looking at options. I would say go for it if it wasn't for that.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master

milan188

No you can get an app on the S8 with all the Pixel camera enhancements. The pixels camera quality is software tricks and not dependent on hardware

IOPS

Pixel 2 XL all day, it's an excellent phone with at least 2 more years of software updates.

Charl10

Pixel 2 XL all day, it's an excellent phone with at least 2 more years of software updates.
Does this really matter that much though? Genuine question. Because everyone says this.

But surely the initial 2-3 years that they've got the same updates should carry more weight.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Fair enough it's quite a bit older, but the same price same phone etc..

Thing is just all over forums I see people frothing over the Pixel phones but haven't seen much objective reasons why it is the better phone.
Why should you care about OS updates? Because you get new features. Why should you care about security updates? Because they're really important. Samsung dropped support for the S6 in April, so next April is S7, the year after that should be S8 latest; these are security not OS. So your phone will be security wise up to date until latest Feb 2020. Pixel 2 is guaranteed Android version and security updates till October 2020, but will probably be supported longer, especially security. Google is known for longer support.

Personally I'd prefer the Pixel 2XL due to stock, I really don't like the Samsung skin. This usually leads the Pixel to have a longer battery life and faster feeling OS.
Camera, the Pixel wins, the way Google's image processing works just owns the S8.

If you want/need a headphone jack, go with the S8. If you like the Samsung skin, go with it. If you don't need/like either, go with the Pixel.

IOPS

Does this really matter that much though? Genuine question. Because everyone says this.

But surely the initial 2-3 years that they've got the same updates should carry more weight.
Depends if you want security updates on your phone or not. I prefer to have the latest security patch included quickly, Samsung have typically been terrible at this.

ronz91

Pixel

Stock is better and smoother. The software of the camera is way more than tricks and the Pixel 2 XL holds up to 2018 flagships in most experts opinions. I think the screen quality on the 2 XL was the biggest issue hence Google changing screen supplier to Samsung for the Pixel 3 & 3 XL.

If you are going to the US, try out Swappa, great prices from what I have seen