Planning your own Solar Power System

Electronic equipment has a filter capacitor for power transients but the cap. can also cause the problem with high inrush current at switch on. Maybe a little resistance in the wiring is not so bad.
 
2015-03-17.12.07.24.jpg


1.1m x 1.7m DB, work in progress.

- Incoming Main Supply,
- Incoming (Portable) Generator Supply,
- Incoming/Outgoing Inverter or UPS Supply,
- Auto Transfer Panel between Generator / Council Power
- Normal Power
- Alternative Power (PV and/or UPS)

I'm still undecided on whether I am going to go Solar, or Generator/UPS, but I can operate both without too much hassles. Chances are, I'll more than likely be going solar given the savings that I can get during the day time on my energy usage.

This one DB replaces three smaller DBs on my property.
 
This was such a nice active thread... Any new updates on the latest?

Would like to see some guys complete their projects... ;)
 
Well my house re-write is complete (just in time too), and my panels are here too. I'm off for a two week holiday first before I'll be mounting the panels and then get the inverter & batteries. So I'm basically going to be standing still for the next two or three weeks
 
This was such a nice active thread... Any new updates on the latest?

Would like to see some guys complete their projects... ;)

Will post some photos of mine later, but it's a complete DIY job. Did not have enough money to buy fancy inverters or battery boxes and whatnot.
 
2015-03-17.12.07.24.jpg


1.1m x 1.7m DB, work in progress.

- Incoming Main Supply,
- Incoming (Portable) Generator Supply,
- Incoming/Outgoing Inverter or UPS Supply,
- Auto Transfer Panel between Generator / Council Power
- Normal Power
- Alternative Power (PV and/or UPS)

I'm still undecided on whether I am going to go Solar, or Generator/UPS, but I can operate both without too much hassles. Chances are, I'll more than likely be going solar given the savings that I can get during the day time on my energy usage.

This one DB replaces three smaller DBs on my property.

Where did you buy the DB from, and for how much?
Also, whats the width?
 
Where did you buy the DB from, and for how much?
Also, whats the width?

1.2m x 1.7m, custom made from ElectroBoards in Cape Town. It was +- R14K, mild steel, galvanised, and two (due to their misfortune) coats of powder coating (inclusive of bus bars, but exclusive of any breakers and/or wiring)...
 
1.2m x 1.7m, custom made from ElectroBoards in Cape Town. It was +- R14K, mild steel, galvanised, and two (due to their misfortune) coats of powder coating (inclusive of bus bars, but exclusive of any breakers and/or wiring)...

Whoa! You have some very deep pockets!
 
He probably also has big fat fingers to want that much space :D. My DB is sooo small but it's built into the wall so had to make due.

One thing that I have learnt about DBs (the hard way): take the size that your electrician says that you will need then multiply by two :(
 
One thing that I have learnt about DBs (the hard way): take the size that your electrician says that you will need then multiply by two :(

Definately true... DB in my house was completely full (3 x 18 way), and then there are two other smaller DBs that got integrated into the single larger DB as well. 99% of my entire house has also been re-wired by myself to fix various code / regulation issues too.

This is how she looks, 100% completed. Still have one circuit that needs to go in.
unnamed.png
 
He probably also has big fat fingers to want that much space :D. My DB is sooo small but it's built into the wall so had to make due.

One thing that I have learnt about DBs (the hard way): take the size that your electrician says that you will need then multiply by two :(

You both make valid points. My DB still has space in it, but the idiots who built the house did not install conduit into all the 'slots' so getting any additional wiring in is pretty much impossible in any case.

Definately true... DB in my house was completely full (3 x 18 way), and then there are two other smaller DBs that got integrated into the single larger DB as well. 99% of my entire house has also been re-wired by myself to fix various code / regulation issues too.

This is how she looks, 100% completed. Still have one circuit that needs to go in.
</snip>

That does look pretty indeed! I want to do something similar at my new place, but I can't afford 14k, will look around for a cheaper pre-built one.
 
You both make valid points. My DB still has space in it, but the idiots who built the house did not install conduit into all the 'slots' so getting any additional wiring in is pretty much impossible in any case.

Legally, it IS allowed, but it is generally frowned upon in the industry. If you use Twin & Earth or Surfix for your new circuits to the DB, you CAN just drill through the DB and run the wires into the wall's cavity, up to the roof.

There's nothing illegal in terms of that, but electricians generally frown upon it, as they deem it to be unsafe. The argument being that you can potentially drill into the cable if you drill through to the cavity containing the cables. The counter argument of course, is that you can just as easily drill into the conduit containing the cabling...
 
Legally, it IS allowed, but it is generally frowned upon in the industry. If you use Twin & Earth or Surfix for your new circuits to the DB, you CAN just drill through the DB and run the wires into the wall's cavity, up to the roof.

There's nothing illegal in terms of that, but electricians generally frown upon it, as they deem it to be unsafe. The argument being that you can potentially drill into the cable if you drill through to the cavity containing the cables. The counter argument of course, is that you can just as easily drill into the conduit containing the cabling...

Hmm, that might be the easiest - I was not aware that doing it would be to code.

I considered chasing the wall next to the DB and installing conduit with a bend into it, but that is loads of work and pushing wires through a bend is a pain in the arse.
 
So, I went ahead and bought myself the Axpert MKS 5KVA, set it up with some Deep Cycle Batteries.

Everything working like a dream, except... For some reason the unit is drawing a constant 500W from Utility supply. Note that I have not done the PV component (as I do not own my roof...) and mostly this is to test out the Axpert as a viable option for Anti-Loadshedding only.

Who else here has installed a Similar unit and have you measured the Utility usage now that it is installed?

My batteries are fully charged and I even disconnect the Load, still there is a 400 to 500W drain... The specs says that stand-by should be around 20W or so...

Any tips on settings / considerations that can solve this little question...
 
Heck the settings for the battery charge. Measure voltage to the batteries while this happening. Sounds like it isn't floating the charge and it could be damaging your batteries.
 
Done, and the Floating Charge is a VERY stable 54V and 0A to the battery...

I realised that there might be some Reactive Current flow, which might confuse the meter. (Don't currently have another Current Clamp meter :( )


Currently I am running an experiment, I installed it in a system with a Pre-Paid meter, so I isolated the Axpert, removed it's load and also flipped the CBs to all other loads on my DB. So only thing pulling power will be Axpert. At the end of the day I will see if there was any actual power usage...

I can't think that the Axpert itself draws 400/500W, that would cause some serious heating and the unit is cold to the touch (radiators etc).
 
ok so my deltec 105amp deep cycle 12v battery gave up the ghost last night after 7yrs during the load shedding. :(

I need to replace it with something better.

I already have a 1kv pure sine wave inverter - just need the batteries and a decent mains charger?

I'm looking for 2 batteries so that I can get at least 2 full hours of use out of them, I only use them to power my DSTV / CRT tv / 1 x CFL

any recommendations for battery type and or shops / online places that have in stock and can deliver?

thanks
spiff
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X