Please help: connect UPS to PC

DeonH

Hi all and thanks for your help.
Win 10 Prof 64-Bit and 1kVA Mecer UPS.

I need to setup my Winpower software to shutdown my PC with power failure.
I connect from the PC with a USB and to the UPS with Serial port. Windows picked the USB as a Prolific USB and made it Com6 and the serial plug I connected to the UPS. Windows pick up the USB as Com6.

But, Winpower, or any other software I have tried, does not see the UPS?

Am I trying to do something impossible or am I doing something wrong or do I need to buy a serial cable. My PC does have a serial port. My previous PC didn't have a serial port and this is why I have the USB-Serial cable.

I will really appreciate anything to connect the USB with the software.

Thanks so long.

DeonH

Did you install the drivers?
I think so. Windows picked it up and when I go to Device Manager, ports, and go to "update driver" the attached screenshot is what I see. So I assume drivers are installed.

I will be happy to learn if I should do something more. Please advise.

Attachments

gamer16

Honorary Master
I think so. Windows picked it up and when I go to Device Manager, ports, and go to "update driver" the attached screenshot is what I see. So I assume drivers are installed.

I will be happy to learn if I should do something more. Please advise.
No go to Mecer's website, and download the driver for the UPS from their driver section.

chrisc

Executive Member
Does Device Manager show the port used by the USB to serial adaptor?
I had same problem and it was that
Suggest re-install the software. I think that fixed the one I had

DeonH

Does Device Manager show the port used by the USB to serial adaptor?
I had same problem and it was that
Suggest re-install the software. I think that fixed the one I had
Yes, it does as showed in screenshot above. I think that's what it means.
I have done everything now. I think the problem can be that I am using a USB-2-COM cable?

DeonH

I downloaded and installed Winpower and run it as Administrator. No problem with that. Winpower does not pickup my UPS and I cannot manually set the comport.
Any other suggestions?
Appreciate your time and effort.

Temujin

Executive Member
You tried change usb port? (some things don't always work in 'black' usb port for example and need 'blue' usb port or visversa)

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Change the port for the USB to serial to com2 or com3.
Often that ups software doesn't cope well with ports above 4.

DeonH

You tried change usb port? (some things don't always work in 'black' usb port for example and need 'blue' usb port or visversa)
I have just tried all ports, blue and black. Still no coms. I think I am going to buy a COM cable. That should definitely sort it out.

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
wait, you said you have a Com port already, try another serial cable, maybe yours is broken

krieg

I doubt there is anything wrong with your cable as you are picking up the Prolific chip already. Try setting the port number to 4 or lower as suggested earlier. You can also download Putty and open a connection to the port and see if you can do anything through the terminal like typing commands.