DantheMan@56

I have a VW polo vivo 1.4 2013 model 5 door.

My AC compressor's bearings seized causing the serpentine belt to snap. I do not have money to replace the AC compressor right now so I was wondering if I can just get a shorter belt to bypass the AC compressor?

I'll attach a photo for more clarity.

(I really don't care about the AC right now, I just want my car to drive again so please don't tell me to replace the AC compressor)

Would I need to alter/change any of the pulleys to be able to fit a shorter belt and what size would it be?

I would appreciate any advice to an inexpensive solution (till I have enough cash to repair it professionally).

Goldenwagen mentioned something about purchasing a different tentioner to fit the shorter belt?

Attachments

• 20220326_170715.jpg
    20220326_170715.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 20220326_170715.jpg
    20220326_170715.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 20220326_170758.jpg
    20220326_170758.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 20220326_170654.jpg
    20220326_170654.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 53

Pak Fa Fui

Expert Member
Sounds like a difficult way around it, is there a way to make the ac spinny thing to spin freely? That way you can use the specified belt size.

Drifter

Honorary Master
Get quotes on a reconditioned compressor. Bosch spares.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
It's much easier to do it if there's a same model without aircon. It is possible that there could be a belt that fits but it would be hard to know which one.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I could take a piece of rope and measure it?
Yeah, that is a plan, measure the length and then count amount of teeth, the Vs on the belt, it could work, just to get someone who is patient enough to work with you at the spares shop.

I find them very lazy and extremely ill informed for their jobs, it's like some don't have any interest in cars and this is just a job for them, if they don't find something when they do the search, that's it, they have no other plan beyond that.

Alternatively you can find a place that deals with belts and give them your measurements, sure they can make a plan.

DantheMan@56

Yeah, that is a plan, measure the length and then count amount of teeth, the Vs on the belt, it could work, just to get someone who is patient enough to work with you at the spares shop.

I find them very lazy and extremely ill informed for their jobs, it's like some don't have any interest in cars and this is just a job for them, if they don't find something when they do the search, that's it, they have no other plan beyond that.

Alternatively you can find a place that deals with belts and give them your measurements, sure they can make a plan.
I don't suppose you get something like a universal belt that one can adjust?

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
How did bearing failure cause the belt to snap?

Did the Aircon pulley break off.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
How did bearing failure cause the belt to snap?

Did the Aircon pulley break off.
It seizes and stops rotating, the belt slips off the pulley causing extreme friction on the belt, then the inevitable happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: "D"

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I don't suppose you get something like a universal belt that one can adjust?
No, but you have a good plan with your rope thing, you just need to go to a belt manufacturer and get someone clever behind the counter. Take your old one with so that they can get the V grooves right.

Alternatively you will have to take the compressor out and change the bearing.
But the belt is the easiest option if you can get it to work.

airborne

Honorary Master
I was thinking of installing something like this...
View attachment 1278126
That's what you need, it's called a aircon delete pulley, which some performance nuts use when removing their perfectly good aircon.

The reason you need that is the aircon pulley is part of the system to correctly route and tension the belt, without it the belt won't be able to function.

You could probably also just temporary fit a broken aircon pump that's still spinning to do that same, a scrap yard or aircon repair place may be able to help you there.