Please Rate Afrihost

Rate Afrihost, based on value-for-money, network quality, and general service satisfaction.

• Excellent

Votes: 106 35.0%
  • Good

Votes: 83 27.4%
  • Average

Votes: 52 17.2%
  • Poor

Votes: 19 6.3%
  • Pathetic

Votes: 43 14.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
We are doing a forum survey on how happy subscribers are with their ISP, and it will be great if you can rate Afrihost based on value-for-money, network quality, and general service satisfaction.

Also please tell us what Afrihost does well, and where they can improve, by positing in this thread.

OCP

Expert Member
Service is worse than Telkom.
Helpdesk/support is a joke:
- they never read tickets and if by chance you a get a reply days/weeks later they reply with stupid questions.
- tickets get closed
- always blaming Telkom lines/equipment; never take responsibility or acknowledge their infrastructure is to blame even when you provide them with proof.
Had to take them to the ISPSA twice to stop them from spamming me.
Long history of charging for products and services they know they cannot supply.
Never recieved a single cent of compensation for lack of services.
Their hosting is a total joke (mails get lost/blocked at random/servers unavailable for no reason)

Afrihost and OpenWeb share the worst ISP possible spot - would only recommend them to someone I really hate.

Andre-H

I had a 4Mbps line with Afrihost (Premium Uncapped) Even after OpenServe announced that the 4Mbps will not be available from Jan 2019 i remained on the speed. I could stream Netflix etc without any issues. However the shaping started to become a problem. Why shaping when there are so many other ISP's without shaping?
Must say the support desk and response on the support desk could use a makeover.
I have now moved to another ISP also uncapped unshaped usage with a much higher speed and CHEAPER!

dburger

I like Afrihost. Been with them many years and if some problem pops up they quick to fix the issue. I'm on 20mbps OpenServe uncapped fiber and had no issues with them.

Razzle

Been with Afrihost ADSL for 2yrs. 200GB/10Mbps.
Recently switched to Openserve fibre via Afrihost. 100GB/20Mbps.
Have always had excellent service with Afrihost.
Their prices could come down a bit though. Especially their pro-rata pricing.

darwinshome

So far great service from Afrihost - not the cheapest on the market for a 20/20 Fibre line, but so far reliable and sufficient support for my needs.

Sundstromenator

Afrihost Fibre via OpenServe: 40mbps with 200Gb cap.

I love the fact that you can get support via WhatsApp. You can type your support question and go make a coffee (it can take a while sometimes) without worrying about missing their reply. It saves on a phone call and normally when (read: IF) your fibre line goes down, you still have 3G connectivity. In a year of afrihost fibre, I have had maybe 15 mins of downtime, was fixed without me having to contact support.

It would be nice to have either uncapped at nighttime (like with ADSL), or turbocharge minutes on capped fibre accounts. Or roll over my unused cap. Sucks that we get nothing for being on a capped (more expensive) account.

eg2505

Honorary Master
afrihost seems okay, could do better especially with easier communications to outages.

Munchk1n

My Rain connection has become slow or has been throttled, either way, my connection has become unbearably slow, just yesterday I was getting less than 1mbps for no reason, but when I contact Afrihost, they ask me to do all sorts of things, including resetting my router to Default. This does not work, I really wish Afrihost would actually contact Rain and inform them about the slow speeds in my area, instead of asking me to reset my router. I don't have an account directly with Rain so I cannot as them for support.

Also, seems that the only way I can get support is via the new whatsapp chat, logging a ticket never seems to get any attention, I've logged a few tickets before, only for it to be seen a few days later. Also the live chat never works. Normally when you need support, it's immediate support. Afrihost tech support could do with some training, because I will not reset my router to default. There is a reason the reset button can only be accesses by a safety pin/precision screwdriver.

Regarding Rain, I think Afrihost should have a closer relation to the Rain support, so they can inform Rain directly if there is a problem in my area. Then again, from my recent google searches, it seems Rain is generally a problem these days, which is probably why Afrihost made the migration process so easy.

Anyway, I'm migrating to CellC, maybe one day I'll get fibre in my area.

Last edited:

Po3na

Been with Afrihost ever since Mweb started with their shaping and letters they sent. Their customer support were great, but deteriorated over the last couple of years. Really innovated, but lately nothing keeping me with them.. I'll keep on for a while. Why don't I get mails from Gian anymore???

Dslartibarfast

Terrible service. Ordered fibre with them, they delivered a broken modem (which they still haven't collected), no one at the help desk knew how to set up our fibre line or modem resulting in us not having fibre for a week after the installation was done (so much for online in 15min), once the internet was working we had constant packet loss and often no internet at all with again no one at help desk to be able to assist at all. We eventually managed to cancel with them, which was another huge headache, to move to Cool Ideas which haven't ever had an issue with.

They need a serious wake up call, their service is terrible.

Andrew5000

I cannot complain about the service I've had with Afrihost. I recommend them to whoever asks.

My one complaint, it that I've called the help desk late-ish at night, and there is no one available to a take the call. (For any working person, you are only going to use your fibre internet after hours.)
If they just outsourced to a 24-hour call centre for the odd hours, even if they cannot fix the problem, but can help rule out the basics, and log a "proper" ticket, that would help. I can't imagine it being too expensive to pay an outside company to offer it to you.

jaco45

Really really poor customer service. They simply only care about your money! Useless.

Jiminy777

I was with Telkom previously and I've been very impressed with Afrihost. I have a variety of products with them and I am happy with their customer service.

Edd69

Excellent fibre from Afrihost.... they could do much better on their pricing.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
I had a 4Mbps line with Afrihost (Premium Uncapped) Even after OpenServe announced that the 4Mbps will not be available from Jan 2019 i remained on the speed. I could stream Netflix etc without any issues. However the shaping started to become a problem. Why shaping when there are so many other ISP's without shaping?
Must say the support desk and response on the support desk could use a makeover.
I have now moved to another ISP also uncapped unshaped usage with a much higher speed and CHEAPER!

It is odd that you mentioned that you are having issues with shaping on your package. We only shape on premium packages if there is a load on our network. As far as I know, we haven't been having any issues that I know of. Please send me a PM with your account information and I will look into this for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.