poor internation upload speeds Cool Ideas

Hi,

I'm with Cool Ideas on a 50/50 Mbps package.
I've noticed over the past two weeks that I'm getting <10Mbps INTERNATIONAL upload speeds.
Local speeds are fine. International download is also fine.
I use speed test occasionally to test. I change server location to a random server in the UK and US(NY or Miami) to test.
I've logged a ticket with Cool Ideas, Ticket # 253941 (two weeks back when I noticed the issue)
The response so far is that Cool Ideas cannot guarantee international speeds?
Would like to know what other people on the forum are getting for their international uploads?
I do see an older thread logged about a similar issue:
https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/thr...l-speeds-isp-cool-ideas-or-line-issue.877906/
Briefly skimmed over it, looked like a WACS capacity issue? But at least it was acknowledge.

Kind regards,
chris

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Also note Chris if you are using Windows as your OS it doesnt scale it's TCP window size on outbound connections, try running it through our proxy to compare which is all available on our main thread.

Check the cool ideas feedback thread, there are quite a few of us having international speed issues.
Thanks. will do.

I do check their status page occasionally ;
https://coolzone.cisp.co.za/announcements.php
https://coolzone.cisp.co.za/serverstatus.php

Nothing has been reported relating to my issue as far as I can see.

But I will check the feedback thread as you've suggested.

What is annoying though, is that Cool Idea's does not seem to acknowledged that there is a problem. As mentioned in my first thread, their responses so far to my ticket has been to dismiss it as the norm. And responding with "we cannot guarantee international speeds".

Kind Regards,
chris

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Thanks. will do.

What is annoying though, is that Cool Idea's does not seem to acknowledged that there is a problem. As mentioned in my first thread, their responses so far to my ticket has been to dismiss it as the norm. And responding with "we cannot guarantee international speeds".

Kind Regards,
chris
International speeds cannot be guaranteed on a 1:1 business line that costs R15 000 for 30Mb, so no way any ISP can guarantee any international speeds for their home clients that pays a fraction of that price.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Thanks. will do.

Kind Regards,
chris
Did you see my post? :)

International speeds cannot be guaranteed on a 1:1 business line that costs R15 000 for 30Mb, so no way any ISP can guarantee any international speeds for their home clients that pays a fraction of that price.
I get that. And I'm not asking them to guarantee it. but I'm expecting them to acknowledge there is a problem and to give me feedback in terms of progress being made. Or is an answer like "it's not guaranteed" conclusive and I should close the ticket?

Did you see my post? :)
Hi, yes, I've already responded to your theory of TCP window size in #6 of this thread

Just for reference:

"
1. National speed tests are fine? so why would the TCP window size behavior differently when doing a international speed test compared to a local one?
2. Using my phone which is using a different OS results in the same results. (Poor INTERNATIONAL uploads)
3. I was getting acceptable upload speeds international a couple of weeks back, did MS make changes to their TCP window size recently?
"

regards,
chris

irBosOtter

Expert Member
I get that. And I'm not asking them to guarantee it. but I'm expecting them to acknowledge there is a problem and to give me feedback in terms of progress being made. Or is an answer like "it's not guaranteed" conclusive and I should close the ticket?
Well, if you stuck on a certain upload speed then perhaps there is a issue, but I don't bother to log calls for speedtest results, I usually compaire my home 10Mb internet with a 1Gb line at work, and this is what I get at work.... on a 1Gb line....

1556623453940.png

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Well, if you stuck on a certain upload speed then perhaps there is a issue, but I don't bother to log calls for speedtest results, I usually compaire my home 10Mb internet with a 1Gb line at work, and this is what I get at work.... on a 1Gb line....

View attachment 651612
Speedtests are almost impossible to compare between different connections, there are just so many variables you cannot account for.

I took 3 runs on this server and the results are quite wildly different on my 200/200 connection.

1556624093581.png

Running to a different speedtest server shows that my upload is fine though on other routes:

1556624323671.png

Hi All,

Thanks for feedback.

I agree with the general sentiment that it fluctuates.
I agree, I'm not going to log a ticket every time I get a bad result on speedtest.net.
However, I've found been monitoring this for a couple of days now, and consistently getting 2-10Mbps up.
I've also tried different international servers/locations on speedtest.net just in case it's a specific server, but yes, consistently getting ~10Mbps (15 max sometimes, 2 min sometimes) just feels a little low...?

The thing is, if this is the norm, then perhaps I should look for a cheaper 50/10 package rather then paying for a 50/50?
(typically most upload traffic will be international? icloud backups, office 365 ? I'm not doing anything special)

Here you go. I wrote this many moons ago to try and explain latency and its impact on throughput.
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/2014...a-local-data-centre-and-one-that-is-offshore/
You cannot overcome latency but you can do multisegmentation. You need to check that the speed test server supports that.
I see speedtest.net has a multi connection option?

"Multi connection mode will show your maximum potential speed by using multiple streams in parallel."

Is this what you're referring to? (usually it's always on whenever I test)

r00igev@@r

Expert Member
I see speedtest.net has a multi connection option?

"Multi connection mode will show your maximum potential speed by using multiple streams in parallel."

Is this what you're referring to? (usually it's always on whenever I test)
Correct but it does not always operate correctly depending on server, network or client. Only way to make sure is to wireshark it.

Rather posting this here, the general Cool Ideas thread is very busy.

Another example is drop box. 50MB file taking over a minute to upload.

Kind regards,
chris

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Rather posting this here, the general Cool Ideas thread is very busy.

Another example is drop box. 50MB file taking over a minute to upload.

Kind regards,
chris
We cant control the rate at which these cloud providers ingest data, this is dependent on lots of factors. Have you tried via our proxy yet?