Porting Telkom number to VOIP

deweyzeph

Executive Member
So I want to port my existing Telkom landline geographic number (021 xxx xxxx) over to Freshphone. I do not want to cancel my Telkom landline however as I still need it for ADSL. What happens when you do this? Does Telkom then assign a new number to your landline? Is there any chance that porting the number to a VOIP provider will result in downtime of your Telkom line?

powermzii

Expert Member
That's an interesting question - Freshphone should be able to answer most of those - i know when i signed up with my VOIP provider they had the options to port for you and they managed all processes. Goodluck with it though

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
You'll need to get a whole new landline. Each landline has a unique ID - your phone number, so unfortunately porting your number will result in a termination of your line - the same goes with Openserve Fibre lines. Telkom won't accept a port request on a line with ADSL active on it for this reason - you need to state in your request letter that you know it's an ADSL line and will be cancelled. 10 years later and ICASA still hasn't delivered on local loop unbundling - so you sit in a pickle today.

sonstyle

You are able to port your Telkom number to FreshPhone and keep the ADSL active. There is a section on the FreshPhone port application where you can choose whether you wish to keep or forfit the ADSL on the line. If you choose to keep the ADSL active, Telkom will issue a new number to the ADSL line in order to keep it active. However, Telkom has 72 hours to provide you with the replacement number, therefore your ADSL could potentially be down for up to 72 hours, however this is worst case scenario. Enjoy Frieshphone

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Thanks for your replies guys. My ADSL line is managed by Afrihost. Once a new telephone number is assigned to my landline, I assume I would have to inform Afrihost as well what the new number is so that they can match it up in the their systems?

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Thanks for your replies guys. My ADSL line is managed by Afrihost. Once a new telephone number is assigned to my landline, I assume I would have to inform Afrihost as well what the new number is so that they can match it up in the their systems?
Has telkom said they'll assign a new number? As far we know, they're going to tell you to install a new line - well that's what our clients have been told to do Please let me know, always good to know.

travcaine

I have just gone through this myself, online cancel gave me the option to cancel the voice and keep the ADSL option. Don't you have that option?

chrisc

Executive Member
I ported a Telkom number to VOX Telecom. Telkom thereupon cancelled the ADSL and refused to sort it out, so VOX do everything. Good service and much cheaper

However, people phoning in from a Telkom number get charged a premium