Pratchett's got Alzheimer's

It is terribly sad, but on the other hand he handles this news so damn well I have no option but to smile at his words:

I agree 100% with you Antowan.

I was really upset when T_L posted this in TK this morning but after reading Pratchett's response to his condition felt a hell of a lot better. Great man.
 
So tell me all you Discworld freeks, must those books be read in any particular order?

I recently read "The Wee Free Men" and am in the process of becomming a convert!
 
So tell me all you Discworld freeks, must those books be read in any particular order?

I recently read "The Wee Free Men" and am in the process of becomming a convert!

Order?

What order?

lol

Never tried that.

Sounds kinky!
 
Try read it in order. I started with Mort and bounced all over the place until I caught up with the man and have been reading them one by one as they come for quite some time now.
 
Thats terrible news.... Pratchett just has a way with words...
Personally i enjoy DEATH and DEATH OF RATS as characters, as well as the members of the watch.

Maybe a duck on his head would help
 
Thats terrible news.... Pratchett just has a way with words...
Personally i enjoy DEATH and DEATH OF RATS as characters, as well as the members of the watch.

Maybe a duck on his head would help

The Grim Squeaker?
 
So tell me all you Discworld freeks, must those books be read in any particular order?

I recently read "The Wee Free Men" and am in the process of becomming a convert!

Start with "The Colour of Magic" then the "Light Fantastic". Then the witches books in order "Equal Rites", "Wyrd Sisters" and "Three Witches Abroad". These will give you a basic understanding of the discworld. There are many novels after that not relating to the above mentioned books - but characters and places in these books always have a way of creeping in to the story.

"Wee Free Men", "Hat Full of Sky" and "Wintersmith" (in that order) are based around the witches books. So you might better understand "Wee Free Men" by reading them.

Enjoy :D
 
my first discworld i read was Soul Music. Took me a while to figure out what was going on, it was like reading 3 stories at once, but once I got about half way I was hooked.

Very hard to pic out a favourite character but one of me favourite is Commander Vimes
 
Last edited:
Start with "The Colour of Magic" then the "Light Fantastic". Then the witches books in order "Equal Rites", "Wyrd Sisters" and "Three Witches Abroad". These will give you a basic understanding of the discworld. There are many novels after that not relating to the above mentioned books - but characters and places in these books always have a way of creeping in to the story.

"Wee Free Men", "Hat Full of Sky" and "Wintersmith" (in that order) are based around the witches books. So you might better understand "Wee Free Men" by reading them.

Enjoy :D

Very good advice on that sequence. Those (IMO) are the important, "background" books. Whilst there is no actual sequence, these introduce and develop some key characters in the series. They are not really sequential at all though.

BTW, Wee Free Men was one of his all-time-best works IMO too. I've read about 10 (or more) of the Discworld novels and that one was one of the best for me.
 
Very good advice on that sequence. Those (IMO) are the important, "background" books. Whilst there is no actual sequence, these introduce and develop some key characters in the series. They are not really sequential at all though.

BTW, Wee Free Men was one of his all-time-best works IMO too. I've read about 10 (or more) of the Discworld novels and that one was one of the best for me.

With the exception of the first two books - they actually form a single story.
 
It's grating my carrot (not the captain) that people act as if he's dead already

read what he said ffs "I'm not dead yet"
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X