Prepaid electricity Arrears Fee?

naeem

Expert Member
Anyone else experience this?

I buy electricity when i'm down to the last 30 units or so. When the machine starts beeping. Wife normally buys via her Absa account.

Today i bought via my FNB account, noticed a R12 arrears fee.

What? Why? How?
IQcSTtKl.png

naeem

Expert Member
Where in SA are you based?

JHB South (southern suburbs, ridgeway)

Anyway,
I called FNB Prepaid helpline, they cant explain and said to call City Power.

I call City Power, they said there is no such thing as arrears in Prepaid Accounts (obviously), once you hit zero you simply get no electricity. So i should take this up with FNB for an explanation...

RichardG

Honorary Master

Anyway,
I called FNB Prepaid helpline, they cant explain and said to call City Power.

I call City Power, they said there is no such thing as arrears in Prepaid Accounts (obviously), once you hit zero you simply get no electricity. So i should take this up with FNB for an explanation...

Stop stressing! Maybe it is the new fees. Example you bought prepaid units at the old price example day 16 July new prices applied but you bought units at the old price

Ianvn

Our company sells prepaid electricity from self help kiosks.
We have had multiple customers phone in asking why they didn't get a token but just a slip saying thanks for paying.
Upon further investigation those payments all went off for their arrears accounts.

Some of their balances were in arrears by the thousands. And the balances/pins etc gets returned by the relevant municipality.

We have always wondered how this can be possible.
In your case that arrears fee most probably comes from City Power and not FNB themselves. AFAIK you are not allowed to add any charges from the re seller side.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Arrears fee is actually the DSM levy. 2c/kwh for every kwh over 500kwh per month.

dadecoza

Expert Member
I know CoCT also deducts from prepaid if your municipal account is in arrears. You still get units but a lot less.

thehuman

Expert Member
some people don't pay thier water and rates acc and that could also be deducted :)

thehuman

Expert Member
I know CoCT also deducts from prepaid if your municipal account is in arrears. You still get units but a lot less.
DSM seems to be
623.9 x 0.02 = R12.478
fnb maybe give a better breakdown

naeem

Expert Member
*update*

Yes, it is a levy according to buddy who works at CoJ - he's just as confused as i am as to why FNB chose to label it as arrears. It should be called a levy (which is this DSM levy)

Borrels

I had the situation in one of my rental apartments where there was an arrears fee on the account. Turns out this was the accumulated admin fee that the prepaid meter company charges every month, which normally gets deducted from the first recharge of the month but just accumulated as the apartment was empty for three months. I find it slightly unethical to add this to prepaid.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Demand side management. Running costs for all their load limiting stuff.

Never seen it. Mostly buy my prepaid at pnp though. But just checked three months worth of slips and not a single additional charge on any of them.

RichardG

Honorary Master
Never seen it. Mostly buy my prepaid at pnp though. But just checked three months worth of slips and not a single additional charge on any of them.

If not mistaken it came into effect now in July, also noticed my utility bill sky rocketing

Sinbad

Honorary Master

you're EMM, not CoJ, at a guess.

It's not a new thing, and it's only on purchases above 500kwh for the month.