Prepaid electricity Arrears Fee?

e4et

Expert Member
Just bought R350 prepaid from the fnb app, and I got R41 arrears deducted.
I never use close to 500 kwh per month. I average about 130 units a month.

So this is a monthly admin fee, correct ?

I am based in the linbro park area.

maumau

Honorary Master
Just bought R350 prepaid from the fnb app, and I got R41 arrears deducted.
I never use close to 500 kwh per month. I average about 130 units a month.

So this is a monthly admin fee, correct ?

I am based in the linbro park area.
That's much too much for DSM.

Tame

I reported a dysfunctional prepaid meter to ekhuruleni municipality an the took months to replace it. Now that they have they say I must pay back billing. Should I pay?

Toxxyc

Expert Member
OK so new thing, it seems. Bought prepaid, got charged a R64-something "account is in arrears" fee. Never seen it before. Called up the municipality. Apparently it's some new monthly service fee they use for street lights and prepaid meters servicing and so on. What kind of bullshit is this? Don't I pay tax already? It's a 10% addition to my monthly electricity bill out of the blue.

Rabobi

Executive Member
OK so new thing, it seems. Bought prepaid, got charged a R64-something "account is in arrears" fee. Never seen it before. Called up the municipality. Apparently it's some new monthly service fee they use for street lights and prepaid meters servicing and so on. What kind of bullshit is this? Don't I pay tax already? It's a 10% addition to my monthly electricity bill out of the blue.
Prepaid account. How is there even such a thing.

There was a post on another thread today where you can complain directly to Nersa for this kinda BS

Toxxyc

Expert Member
I dunno. It seems now we have to pay more per kW for prepaid than postpaid, we pay for an installation and service fee, we pay tax on everything to cover this and now we're slapped with a (not tiny) R64-something a month service fee on Prepaid electricity that's supposed to make Eskom's life easier? What the actual hell?

OCP

Expert Member
I dunno. It seems now we have to pay more per kW for prepaid than postpaid, we pay for an installation and service fee, we pay tax on everything to cover this and now we're slapped with a (not tiny) R64-something a month service fee on Prepaid electricity that's supposed to make Eskom's life easier? What the actual hell?
Kak en betaal boetie....

They stole the money, troff is empty and now *we* have to pay it back.

Watch this space for more increases/levies and fees :-(

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Thanks mate! Well, link doesn't work but I do know what form that is, thanks!

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Bought R300 Tshwane prepaid, charged R2.096/kwh. Then bought another R500. Still charged R2.096/kwh. WTF is going on? I though there were new block tariffs and a new R60 odd charge, but I'm not seeing this in my 2 purchases if I'm charged the same for all the units.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Block tarrifs are on how much you use, AFAIK, not how much you buy, but I may be wrong.

skydemon

This is such BS.

I just moved into a house with a prepaid meter and my electricity fees have increased by almost 30% compared to how much I paid through Eskom's readings. (I will also add that I have a solar geyser and a gas stove in this house, where in the previous house, everything was electricity powered) I would not advise anyone to get a prepaid meter. It's just a more efficient way for this lot to screw us and steal from us.

I had the same issue when I tried to buy electricity via an online app, there was a R92.00 arrears fee? However, all my municipal bills are up to date.
I paid R100 of which R92.00 went to "arrears" and the other R8.00 is just MIA. I didn't even get my R8.00 voucher lol.

There's no way that I am using more than the 500 limit.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Yep, welcome to Prepaid. It's expensive and a nightmare. Wait until your meter starts screaming in the middle of the night, waking everyone up, and when you buy a voucher you can't load it because they're offline on their side, so there's nothing you can do but lie and wait for them to come back online so you can load the voucher.

Also, that "arrears" thing is supposed to be paid by the previous guy. No idea about the R8, but I guess Eskom, LOL.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Yep, welcome to Prepaid. It's expensive and a nightmare. Wait until your meter starts screaming in the middle of the night, waking everyone up, and when you buy a voucher you can't load it because they're offline on their side, so there's nothing you can do but lie and wait for them to come back online so you can load the voucher.

Also, that "arrears" thing is supposed to be paid by the previous guy. No idea about the R8, but I guess Eskom, LOL.
After two years, I found it cheaper and less hassles. Especially since CoJ doesn't charge the additional R550 they do for postpaid.