Prepaid electricity Arrears Fee?

Lupus

Honorary Master
This is such BS.

I just moved into a house with a prepaid meter and my electricity fees have increased by almost 30% compared to how much I paid through Eskom's readings. (I will also add that I have a solar geyser and a gas stove in this house, where in the previous house, everything was electricity powered) I would not advise anyone to get a prepaid meter. It's just a more efficient way for this lot to screw us and steal from us.

I had the same issue when I tried to buy electricity via an online app, there was a R92.00 arrears fee? However, all my municipal bills are up to date.
I paid R100 of which R92.00 went to "arrears" and the other R8.00 is just MIA. I didn't even get my R8.00 voucher lol.

There's no way that I am using more than the 500 limit.
Did you get a muncipal clearance cert when you bought the house?

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
I get 270 units every month on the 1st for R650 via FNB app
That's R2.40 per unit
Eina !!!!

Toxxyc

Executive Member
I get 270 units every month on the 1st for R650 via FNB app
That's R2.40 per unit
Eina !!!!
I buy 100 units at the start of the month, then I pay for the 0-100 range. Then I buy 350 units, and I pay for the 101-450 range. Only then do I buy more and pay for the 650+ range. It helps a bit. It's usually R220's worth at the start of the month, and then around R600's worth later and then the rest of the month whatever eBucks I have left to spend just to get through the month.

Pineapple Smurf

I buy 100 units at the start of the month, then I pay for the 0-100 range. Then I buy 350 units, and I pay for the 101-450 range. Only then do I buy more and pay for the 650+ range. It helps a bit. It's usually R220's worth at the start of the month, and then around R600's worth later and then the rest of the month whatever eBucks I have left to spend just to get through the month.
Thanx
I am going to give this a try on the 1st again
Only buy 99 units and see if its R2.40 per unit or not :thumbsup:

Moto Guzzi

Expert Member
Anyone else experience this?

I buy electricity when i'm down to the last 30 units or so. When the machine starts beeping. Wife normally buys via her Absa account.

Today i bought via my FNB account, noticed a R12 arrears fee.

What? Why? How?
IQcSTtKl.png
How on planet earth, "Africa excluded", can you have an arrears fee on a prepaid account.
How can you consume electricity with pre-paid if not paid-?

AchmatK

Executive Member
How on planet earth, "Africa excluded", can you have an arrears fee on a prepaid account.
CoCT is known for adding other municipal arrears such as rates and water to prepaid electricity purchases and using it as a recovery mechanism.

Edit

That looks like an Eskom supply so not sure how their could be areas unless the meter was tampered with before and the arrears is from that.

Moto Guzzi

Expert Member
Did you get a muncipal clearance cert when you bought the house?

Years ago at previous town, I opt for Pre Paid, it was without the fixed fee, and I had a higher amperage at a lower cost.
Now this is how PrePaid should work, because it's suppose to take a burden of municipality, if not why would the municipality even introduce such a thing.
-It is crystal clear what is happening today, and its digitally "open" on top of all of it, thats why I avoid this plague at a different town.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
What shows up as "Arrears" on CoJ prepaid, is actually the DSM.
6c/kwh on every kwh over 500 per month.

Pineapple Smurf

COCT are a ripoff. check the rate sheet but i think - this covers yours:

View attachment 935466
Many thanx for this
Yup my flat is valued at about R700k according to monkeypalicity and i consume around 270 units a month.
Time to go as much solar as possible soon :thumbsup:

ive had my meter for 3 years now and have never ever used more than about 270 units a month