Psychologist needed urgently...

blunomore

Honorary Master
The worst shrinks are the ones sitting in their chair, looking deep into your eyes and saying: "So talk to me ... " :)

Risa

The worst shrinks are the ones sitting in their chair, looking deep into your eyes and saying: "So talk to me ... " :)
i'll talk to u alright!! grrr...:mad: they look so pompous and dont make me lie down in that long chair i WILL fall asleep!!!

CathJ

Expert Member
love iv been to so many psychologists and u can see how that helped me...:rolleyes:

personally i think the psychologist thing only works if u dont actually know their tricks.

the best for her, depending on her personality, is probably group therapy. i found it the best and the people were friendly and u never have to see them again after all the groups ^^ unless u want to.
It may not have helped you, but it does help a LOT of people... whether you know their 'tricks' or not.

None of us have enough info, at this stage, to say what kind of treatment or therapy this person might need.

On the subject of price... rates haven't gone up 10% per year since 2003 (although maybe they have for some psychologists :)). I know of a couple who charge in the R400-odd region - I don't want anyone reading this thread to be scared off going to therapy because of the price.

Risa

It may not have helped you, but it does help a LOT of people... whether you know their 'tricks' or not.

None of us have enough info, at this stage, to say what kind of treatment or therapy this person might need.

On the subject of price... rates haven't gone up 10% per year since 2003 (although maybe they have for some psychologists :)). I know of a couple who charge in the R400-odd region - I don't want anyone reading this thread to be scared off going to therapy because of the price.
ya but that is generally why the people who need it dont go

Waaib

Executive Member
Can't help thinking that "Psychologist" and "Urgently" shouldn't be in the same sentence.

blunomore

Honorary Master
Can't help thinking that "Psychologist" and "Urgently" shouldn't be in the same sentence.
Yes, it may be followed soon after by the very unfortunate expression "untimely".

The thing is most people do not think they need help before it has reached crisis point.

risingtide

There is little difference between so-called "good" therapists and "bad" ones. It all depends on the client, and of course, the rapport s/he can establish with the therapist.
Prof. Gendlin has made a detailed study, and has come up with 2 characteristic as indicators to whether therapy is working. He could then predict the success or not (with 90% accuracy IIRC), of therapy within the 1st session in most cases, by the 2nd session at the latest.
This also means that an ethical therapist, seeing that the "signs" are not present, would after the 2nd session say to the client "I may not the right person for you" and leave it to the client to continue knowing this, or look for someone else.

Last edited:

onebrickshort

PM me for details on a good female Cape Town Psychologist/counselor. It's a minefield out there.

eaglebeaver

FYI -Trauma Debriefing Councelling is vital/very-effective early on, to prevent and treat PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) eg after violent crime - robbery, highjack ect. (not that common in our country so don't worry) (like irony).
See any psychologist sooner rather than wait for the perfect one.