Public Proxy warning message when logging on to a web site

Kingskid

Hi All,
I just had a interesting occurence, we use CellC fibre at home.
I went to a website to log on and was presented with a page which had the text->
"It looks like you are connecting to us via a public proxy service. We have blocked this request in order to protect yout information."
Error code: 403 Forbidden.
(I had logged onto this site yesterday no issues)
I tried via my phone and my linux laptop and got the same result on Wifi.
I switched to mobile data on my phone and it was fine and I could get to the site.
I reenabled the wifi on the phone and the warning came back.

After rebooting the fibre router(with that a new ip is assigned) I was able to get to the site.

So it would seem whatever it was was outside my internal network.
Has anyone had a similar thing happen before?
Is it something to be concerned about?
Must admit I was never thinking of a VPN but this just gave me pause for thought.

Charlesjjm

I am having this same issue trying to access the Afrihost Clientzone. On wifi it won't allow me access but on mobile data everything is fine. I'm with SADV/Vuma though. Spent the whole morning running anti-virus and uninstalling any old/weird apps, but it didn't change anything.

dorian.bouls

From what you have posted and what I am experiencing, I'm curious if CellC is having network issues. When I am connected to a CellC mobile hotspot, I cannot PING "zimbra.sai.co.za", but when I connect to a Vodacom mobile hotspot, I can PING "zimbra.sai.co.za". I am curious if anyone else that has a CellC MiFi router is able to PING "zimbra.sai.co.za"

Kingskid

I am having this same issue trying to access the Afrihost Clientzone. On wifi it won't allow me access but on mobile data everything is fine. I'm with SADV/Vuma though. Spent the whole morning running anti-virus and uninstalling any old/weird apps, but it didn't change anything.
Thanks for the comment, it was the same site I got the warning from yes.
my router reboot and new ip seems too have sorted it out, been refreshing randomly and its still ok.
I did mail the Afrihost support and they mentioned they have seen it before when providers route through a proxy on their side.
Must admit thats a scary message to see, so I am still investigating VPN options.

Charlesjjm

Thanks for the comment, it was the same site I got the warning from yes.
my router reboot and new ip seems too have sorted it out, been refreshing randomly and its still ok.
I did mail the Afrihost support and they mentioned they have seen it before when providers route through a proxy on their side.
Must admit thats a scary message to see, so I am still investigating VPN options.
Thanks for the tip. I rebooted everything this morning, and no more warning. Also, when running a proxy-check it says no proxy detected.