Python vs JavaScript for Full Stack

tsavvy

I want to become full stack web developer/engineer.

Javascript is becoming an all rounder, but is it as efficient?

Maybe one day want to work with AI and things too so Python would definitely help there.

Cam

What do you mean by as efficient? As suppose to what?

tsavvy

What do you mean by as efficient? As suppose to what?
As documented and used as much as other languages. Future support and ease of use like other languages. Frameworks etc.. and having all capabilities of developing complex web apps

Cam

As documented and used as much as other languages. Future support and ease of use like other languages. Frameworks etc.. and having all capabilities of developing complex web apps
Well, if you want to be a fullstack dev then you definitely need Javascript.

As for AI, I have no idea about Python but I'd guess there are better languages to explore that.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Python is great. NodeJS is much faster than Python (not sure how PyPy compares) but if speed is what you want there are other languages/frameworks to consider (Golang for example).

Python + Tornado
NodeJS + Express
Golang + Gorilla

They all do the same thing and the syntax is very similar: path and a handler with a request and response object.

[)roi(]

Executive Member
Javascript is more than capable of tackling the full stack scope; so even though JS isn't loved by language purists (I'm not a fan), it is more than capable of building almost anything in the typical full stack scenario, for example:

As for speed; it's not the slowest or the fastest, but for most scenarios it's more than adequate.

cguy

Executive Member
Well, if you want to be a fullstack dev then you definitely need Javascript.

As for AI, I have no idea about Python but I'd guess there are better languages to explore that.
Apart from specific scenarios Python is probably the best for AI. There are extensive numerical, stats and ML libraries for it. At work we roll our own in C++, but if highest performance and customized ML was not a requirement, we would have gone the Python route.

[)roi(]

Executive Member
As for "Maybe one day want to work with AI...", the choice of language is always going to be a bit opinionated.

Today the choice of language for AI is not as narrow as it used to be; most popular languages offer some level of native AI functionality + they include language interoperability, for example: the dynamic C# interop with C would essentially give a C# programmer access to any C frameworks directly in C#.

konfab

Honorary Master
I want to become full stack web developer/engineer.

Javascript is becoming an all rounder, but is it as efficient?

Maybe one day want to work with AI and things too so Python would definitely help there.
Why not learn both?