Quadcopter/Drone Thread

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
SJ, not the best but works for me at the moment
Not familiar with the SJ but whatever works, works. :)

I have't been flying mine as much as I like because the batteries are starting to swell. I've had to reinforce the clips with velcro strapping incase they want to pop out. Since 90% of my flights are over water... :eek:

Binary Bark

Forging
Not familiar with the SJ but whatever works, works. :)

I haven't been flying mine as much as I like because the batteries are starting to swell. I've had to reinforce the clips with Velcro strapping in case they want to pop out. Since 90% of my flights are over water... :eek:
Would like to fly more myself, but during this time of the year we have constant wind every day in Durban, and usually too fast to fly

Segg

Expert Member
Okay so someone almost died today, a few meters to the right and there would have been 2 dead pilots and possibly fatalities on the ground.

Some moron was flying their drone on the departure path from RWY 35 at Rand Airport yesterday afternoon.

I hope the CAA find the responsible person, and prosecute accordingly.

Guys, please don't fly these close to areas where manned aircraft are low

IMG-20201027-WA0022.jpg

tRoN

Executive Member
Okay so someone almost died today, a few meters to the right and there would have been 2 dead pilots and possibly fatalities on the ground.

Some moron was flying their drone on the departure path from RWY 35 at Rand Airport yesterday afternoon.

View attachment 942227

How would a small drone kill the pilots?

Don’t birds fly into planes all the time and a drone is lighter than an albatross

HumanShield

View attachment 942227

Jeez how can people be so careless. One one side it's a little annoying that manufacturers put flight restrictions on drones and then you get incidents like this that justify it. Glad you're okay.

eg2505

Honorary Master
that much damage to a Cessna from a drone?

what if it had gone through the windshield?

Segg

Expert Member
How would a small drone kill the pilots?

Don’t birds fly into planes all the time and a drone is lighter than an albatross
that much damage to a Cessna from a drone?

what if it had gone through the windshield?

A piece of hard debris such as a drone coming through the window will probably knock at least one of the crew out and definitely lead to momentary loss of control, especially if it's at a critical phase of flight such as takeoff and landing (I.E close to the ground)

You will also be dealing with wind speeds around 140-160kmh. 70-75mph on an aircraft like a 172 if landing, and 80-90mph during takeoff

There are numerous stories of birds causing severe injury and even some accidents after breaking through the windshield of a light aircraft

Segg

Expert Member
Jeez how can people be so careless. One one side it's a little annoying that manufacturers put flight restrictions on drones and then you get incidents like this that justify it. Glad you're okay.

It wasn't my flying it luckily :) Word gets around very quickly in the small GA circles

eg2505

Honorary Master
There are numerous stories of birds causing severe injury and even some accidents after breaking through the windshield of a light aircraft

but dont they test aircraft, even light aircraft with a chicken cannon?
a air cannon that shoots frozen chickens at engines and windshields to make sure that doesn't happen?
should they now fire a drone cannon, but like was pointed out above drones should be lighter.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
a air cannon that shoots frozen chickens at engines and windshields to make sure that doesn't happen?
should they now fire a drone cannon, but like was pointed out above drones should be lighter.
I'm pretty sure that was a Mythbuster episode.

Segg

Expert Member

Great question and video there actually!

Mythbusters had to do this test twice, the first test they used a light aircraft window which doesn't hold up to these forces

A commercial aircraft window is built to be a lot stronger (they also have to deal with pressurization forces etc)

eg2505

Honorary Master
so a drone @Segg will be worse? even though its a lot lighter
almost like if your in your car, and a something comes flying through your window.
good chance you will have an accident.

Segg

Expert Member
so a drone @Segg will be worse? even though its a lot lighter
almost like if your in your car, and a something comes flying through your window.
good chance you will have an accident.

Yes, a bird is soft and mushy, I've chewed a few up in propellers in the past, I'd hate for a more ridged item to break through

Windscreen design also has a lot to do with it. The Cessna 172 has one wrap around windscreen, Piper Cherokees have a small beam running down the middle and 2 separate panes for example

Either way, this is a midair collision.

garyc

Expert Member

There was an element of myth to this episode as well. When these tests are done, they need to be as representative as possible. This means that frozen chickens are not used, not even thawed out. Rather, the chicken is slaughtered immediately before the test. At our local facility there is a person on site who is licensed to do this. At one time in the US they used anesthetized live chickens, but they don't seem to be doing this anymore.

Francois Marais

And another thing... Birds do not have a little explosive pack powering it.
Will hate to see what a Lithium pack will do when opened up by the prop of an aircraft.

It is pretty stupid and braindead to fly in a no-fly zone. Some idiots just have to spoil it for everyone else! Hope that person gets a pain in their ass and a huge fine!

Segg

Expert Member
And another thing... Birds do not have a little explosive pack powering it.
Will hate to see what a Lithium pack will do when opened up by the prop of an aircraft.

It is pretty stupid and braindead to fly in a no-fly zone. Some idiots just have to spoil it for everyone else! Hope that person gets a pain in their ass and a huge fine!

If it explodes outside the aircraft it should be fine, but if it breaks through the windscreen and then catches fire in the cabin that's a very very different situation...