Rain 5G problem

dewalddee

Just an update. Since last night my upload and download wont even reach 100kbs. The service has become useless now. I went and fetched my parents 5G router with their sim in it to test at my house and i was getting 400mbps down, 40mbps up with 16 ping. With my sim card inside their router i was reaching 380mbps down, 25 up with 19 ping. With my parents sim inside my router the speeds also in the 300 to 400mbps with 20 ping and i tested it for about 40 minutes. The router was factory reset again with the same results. When i inserted my sim back into my router i had 250mbps down with 15mbps up and the normal 19/20 ping and 5 minutes later is went downhill again and cant even send a whatsapp.

powermzii

Expert Member
Just an update. Since last night my upload and download wont even reach 100kbs. The service has become useless now. I went and fetched my parents 5G router with their sim in it to test at my house and i was getting 400mbps down, 40mbps up with 16 ping. With my sim card inside their router i was reaching 380mbps down, 25 up with 19 ping. With my parents sim inside my router the speeds also in the 300 to 400mbps with 20 ping and i tested it for about 40 minutes. The router was factory reset again with the same results. When i inserted my sim back into my router i had 250mbps down with 15mbps up and the normal 19/20 ping and 5 minutes later is went downhill again and cant even send a whatsapp.
Dude that's seriously odd behavior there - i would (as i am sure you are) be tearing my hair out right now. @rain_mobile ?

dewalddee

Dude that's seriously odd behavior there - i would (as i am sure you are) be tearing my hair out right now. @rain_mobile ?
Really been trying everything, even had the router ontop of the neighbors house this morning still had the same problems and their house has a very clear view of the tower.

rain_networks

Rain Representative
Company Rep
Hi,

Please PM me your email address that you used to register on www.rain.co.za. This sounds like an issue we have seen a few times. The towers near you are all giving you very similar signal quality, the CPE always connects to the strongest signal, so in your case, one minute it may be one tower, the next another by a very small fluctuation and hence the CPE disconnects and then reconnects. This could happen several times and make the experience terrible.

There are a few fixes, one work be moving the CPE to another location, sounds like that's not working for you, the other is to disable auto-panning on the antenna and the last is to change the CPE. Just a note for everyone, installing the CPE high up can also be the cause of this, sometimes mounting against a wall is better than on the roof as this way only once cell will dominate, make sense? - this might be one of those cases, but let's see. We Will update as soon as we fix this!

dewalddee

Hi,

Please PM me your email address that you used to register on www.rain.co.za. This sounds like an issue we have seen a few times. The towers near you are all giving you very similar signal quality, the CPE always connects to the strongest signal, so in your case, one minute it may be one tower, the next another by a very small fluctuation and hence the CPE disconnects and then reconnects. This could happen several times and make the experience terrible.

There are a few fixes, one work be moving the CPE to another location, sounds like that's not working for you, the other is to disable auto-panning on the antenna and the last is to change the CPE. Just a note for everyone, installing the CPE high up can also be the cause of this, sometimes mounting against a wall is better than on the roof as this way only once cell will dominate, make sense? - this might be one of those cases, but let's see. We Will update as soon as we fix this!
Okay so in the router setting im going to disable auto panning under antenna setting and what do i change on the CPE?

rain_networks

Rain Representative
Company Rep
The router is the CPE..... Dont rush that change, check your PM, I have an issue with your address.

dewalddee

Update: they are busy sorting it out now. They got a techie who spent almost an hour helping me place the router and they found the cause. He was very patient and holding the line while i was climbing walls and roofs to find the best spot. I'm sure they will sort this out for me. I will now just be patient and wait for them to sort it out. Thanks again to everyone trying to help. Appreciate it ALOT

powermzii

Expert Member
Update: they are busy sorting it out now. They got a techie who spent almost an hour helping me place the router and they found the cause. He was very patient and holding the line while i was climbing walls and roofs to find the best spot. I'm sure they will sort this out for me. I will now just be patient and wait for them to sort it out. Thanks again to everyone trying to help. Appreciate it ALOT
That's so good to hear - hope it gets sorted asap ad you can gt back to torrential speeds... ... .......

dewalddee

So i pushed through the whole night to test the internet. Last night after 23:00 the 5G got very stable. I did a speed test every 20 minutes and got over 150mbps down and 30 to 40 up with ping between 16 and 20. Till this morning just before 08:00. 5mbps down if im lucky with 0.20 upload and ping spikes in the 300. Tower congestion?

powermzii

Expert Member
So i pushed through the whole night to test the internet. Last night after 23:00 the 5G got very stable. I did a speed test every 20 minutes and got over 150mbps down and 30 to 40 up with ping between 16 and 20. Till this morning just before 08:00. 5mbps down if im lucky with 0.20 upload and ping spikes in the 300. Tower congestion?
Did you take note of the towers? So what towers gave you 150Mbps and which ones are giving you 5Mbps today?

dewalddee

The cell ID 85504358 was the same throughout the night. Even if i change the direction if the router it does not change. But when the techie called me yesterday and i moved the router he could see it changing sites. @powermzii

powermzii

Expert Member
The cell ID 85504358 was the same throughout the night. Even if i change the direction if the router it does not change. But when the techie called me yesterday and i moved the router he could see it changing sites. @powermzii
OK then that cellID is definitely congested from 5/6 am - maybe the work fro home crowd all latch onto that one. (Do you sometimes feel like we are doing first line support triaging for Rain...lol)

dewalddee

So update: they sent a rain techie to my house. Did speeds tests with new router, techies router and my old router. Same results on all 3. Today looks like very high download ranging almost 300mbps but the uploads getting between 0.5 to 2mbps. So it looks like an issue on the tower side and they let the guys know who works on the towers about the issue. The techie did say with the signal im getting i can easily hit the 500 mbps downloads. Now the waiting game

dewalddee

Update: had problems until around 21:00 last night and gave an update to the Rain techie about it still being reallly bad. He said it will be fixed by monday as they needed to make changes in the network. Today the 5G worked flawlessly and im getting 20 ping, 110mbps down and 20 to 40mbps up on every test. I'll keep the techie updated for atleast a week just to make sure but im very happy. The Rain network guy on here and the techie helping me throughout whatsapp you guys are awesome. Keeping my fingers crossed!

rain_networks

Rain Representative
Company Rep
Update: had problems until around 21:00 last night and gave an update to the Rain techie about it still being reallly bad. He said it will be fixed by monday as they needed to make changes in the network. Today the 5G worked flawlessly and im getting 20 ping, 110mbps down and 20 to 40mbps up on every test. I'll keep the techie updated for atleast a week just to make sure but im very happy. The Rain network guy on here and the techie helping me throughout whatsapp you guys are awesome. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Excellent! - thanks for the patience and keep us updated!

Pantani

So @rain_networks how do I get similar service if I try sign up again. I signed up in February/March and the network was dead in my area of Magaliessig. I battled for a month with sending emails to support and in the end gave up and cancelled. Is the service reliable yet or will it always be a case of battling like @dewalddee has?

rain_networks

Rain Representative
Company Rep
So @rain_networks how do I get similar service if I try sign up again. I signed up in February/March and the network was dead in my area of Magaliessig. I battled for a month with sending emails to support and in the end gave up and cancelled. Is the service reliable yet or will it always be a case of battling like @dewalddee has?
Since March we have done about 3 upgrades on the 5G network and installed 100 new sites - can't guarantee service but i would like to think it is significantly improved.

Pantani

Since March we have done about 3 upgrades on the 5G network and installed 100 new sites - can't guarantee service but i would like to think it is significantly improved.
Thanks for the answer @rain_networks , I am willing to give it another try then although @dewalddee experience is very similar to what I experienced end of Feb and March.

dewalddee

@rain_networks im having the same issues again since this morning. 30mbps download, no upload. Mind explaining what is the actual issue? I've notified icasa, ispa and will be referring this to the consumer act. No way im waiting weeks again for this issue to be resolved. I need this resolved today.