Rain and storm for Cpt

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
Lank disappointed up here, :confused:
They said it would rain around now....

As I walked home at dusk, I peered to the Heavens, the Moon but a sliver in the darkening skies, the stars twinkling..... and not a blerrie cloud to be seen...

:unsure::mad:

Gordon_R

Honorary Master

genetic

Honorary Master
So, how have the rains been so far? :)
Pretty poor. Winter rains seem so much more scarce now. It's pretty much July, and we've had only 2 large rain systems.

The only reasons our dams are looking healthier is because of lockdown and a more water-wise province.

The winter rain outlook is looking scary.

Segg

Expert Member
First actual storm damage at our block in ages, caused by a highly unusual event. One of the large circular lids on a water tank became airborne and smashed into an asbestos garage roof. It was probably not secure, but heavy enough not to be considered likely!?

View attachment 866217
Jeeze how strong were the winds when that happened? :oops:
Have you got a picture of the offending lid?

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
First actual storm damage at our block in ages, caused by a highly unusual event. One of the large circular lids on a water tank became airborne and smashed into an asbestos garage roof. It was probably not secure, but heavy enough not to be considered likely!?

View attachment 866217
Asbestos?!?! Shouldn't that be ripped out and disposed of urgently?

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
It happened just after 9am this morning (quite a bang outside my window). Not a particularly strong wind gust, but my flat is fairly sheltered. The 6th floor roof is definitely more exposed.

The lid is smashed into tiny pieces (off white colour), but its twin in still on the adjacent tank. It is 1.2m in diameter (about 10kg), and made from fiber cement. It is quite bulky, and requires 2 people to lift. Provides access to float valve for plumbing work.

Asbestos roofs are still legal as long as you don't touch it (drilling or cutting). Painting required a certificate and protective gear. Repairs will be complex. And the tank needs a new lid...

Edit: Photo of tank from 2017:

2403[roof_tank_waterproofing].jpg

Edit: Likely that turbulence could have had an effect, lift motor room in the background.

Last edited: