Rain and storm for Cpt

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
bucketing down now in Somerset West
this is the eye of the storm
will start dying down in an hr or 2 i reckon

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
It happened just after 9am this morning (quite a bang outside my window). Not a particularly strong wind gust, but my flat is fairly sheltered. The 6th floor roof is definitely more exposed.

The lid is smashed into tiny pieces (off white colour), but its twin in still on the adjacent tank. It is 1.2m in diameter (about 10kg), and made from fiber cement. It is quite bulky, and requires 2 people to lift. Provides access to float valve for plumbing work.

Asbestos roofs are still legal as long as you don't touch it (drilling or cutting). Painting required a certificate and protective gear. Repairs will be complex. And the tank needs a new lid...

Edit: Photo of tank from 2017:

View attachment 866243

Edit: Likely that turbulence could have had an effect, lift motor room in the background.
I see repair work on the waterproofing in progress? Was that crew busy in the days before? If so, they could have lifted the lid to access the water and not put the lid back properly, giving the wind a chance of getting underneath it.

Segg

Expert Member
Weather stations around the WC are reporting the following (Degrees True, and km/h)

Worcester = 330 74
Slangkop = 310 54
Cape Point = 280 68
Strand = 360 37
Cpt Intl = 310 35
Jonkershoek = 340 24
Robben Island = 240 31
Kirstenbosch = 190 7

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Last edited: