Rain and storm for Cpt

geezer

Expert Member
Easy, just plan a holiday in Sutherland. A peaceful time you will have because even the locals go somewhere else in winter.
Blatantly punting my place of birth and also my cousin's place, do so and make a booking (for the future when all this Covid 19 madness has subsided a bit) at Blesfontein Guest Farm, they also have their own small observatory so you can also do some star gazing while you are there. Nicol and Marina will definitely make sure you are treated well.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
I was hoping to see snow on the distant mountains this morning, but lingering clouds are blocking the view. This storm may not have been particularly intense, but it was certainly large and persistent!

Total rainfall in our gauge in Kenilworth was close to 70mm.

Edit: The Dwarsberg rain gauge is still defrosting, so it is not possible to see yesterday's total. The air temperature (at 1200m elevation) is currently 2.8C (10am) and overcast.

Edit: I thought the rain was over, but westerly wind, clouds, and a brief shower while I was in the Spar...

Last edited:
Reactions: air

noxibox

Honorary Master
Easy, just plan a holiday in Sutherland. A peaceful time you will have because even the locals go somewhere else in winter.
All three of them?

Colleagues in CPT shared their image on Teams earlier today. They were dressed for polar conditions, lol. I think they said the real-feel outside was something like 6C.

Tomorrow Jozi drops to a modest 8C. The real-feel maybe a little lower. The only upside, methinks, is the absence of sky wetness that our friends in CPT endure.
Isn't Durban the place that has the oppressively high humidity?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Blatantly punting my place of birth and also my cousin's place, do so and make a booking (for the future when all this Covid 19 madness has subsided a bit) at Blesfontein Guest Farm, they also have their own small observatory so you can also do some star gazing while you are there. Nicol and Marina will definitely make sure you are treated well.
Yup, stayed there a few times , great place.

rph72

Executive Member
Was planning to make a booking for for my birthday weekend this month. Covid hit just before I could finalize the booking. Hopefully next year.

air

Expert Member
Edit: The Dwarsberg rain gauge is still defrosting, so it is not possible to see yesterday's total. The air temperature (at 1200m elevation) is currently 2.8C (10am) and overcast.
Would that ultimately correct, to show blended 11JUN20 with current stats?
What is the bucket limit, might have been exceeded?
There were readings earlier today, but not 'knock it out the park' type readings, now I am confused :)

The website has been on the blink for most of today, but -> http://www.capetown.gov.za/Family a...and-sanitation-services/this-weeks-dam-levels is promising, an almost 2.6% point uplift! :)

Supervan II

Expert Member
I'll just say that an ole geezer referred me?

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Just recorded 13.5mm in gauge in Kenilworth this morning (Mon 15th). Surprisingly heavy rain during the middle of the night! Definitely more than predicted...

Will check the dam levels later.

No significant rain in the foreseeable future. Substantially warmer during the middle of the week (Wed 17th and Thurs 18th), with offshore berg-wind conditions.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
There was a substantial increase of 3.6% to 58.2% of the average dam levels for the Cape Metro catchment area during the week to 15 June 2020: http://www.capetown.gov.za/Family a...and-sanitation-services/this-weeks-dam-levels

The rainy season in 2020 has had a slow start, but the average dam levels are currently at the highest early-winter level in the last 5/6 year period, and well outside any conceivable danger zone:

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
Right On Time!

The Moose was awoken from his deep slumber around 04H04 this fine Winters morning. It sounded like a steam train from the 1800's, not quite at the station, but in the distance, from the East over the dark Namib desert it grew louder and within minutes slammed into the remote township with a thunderous roar, the old roof creaking above the Moose's head, the windows shaking.....

The East Wind had arrived,

Every Winter, once the first snows have fallen over the cold South African mountains Berg Winds hammer the Western Coastline of Namibia, often bringing temperatures in the 30's, the day is like a scene from an End Of Days movie........ but once the wind settles in the late afternoon, the weather becomes perfect for a braai or two....

Anyhow, Today we shall be getting gusts of winds of us to 75km/hr ....... not clean wind, but sand blasting heat from the East,

windy1.jpg

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
The berg winds were forecast, but I didn't post just for the benefit of Moose only...

925mb_wind_030[20200616_0600].gif