Rain and storm for Cpt

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
You realise how much water would have to be "caught" and transported to make an appreciable impact on the levels of the dams?

Last year at my place in PTA, I calculated that I could have harvested 35 000 litres in the one month had I the facilities to store the runoff from the roof of my house. Of course that would have meant having a tank available to store all that water .......

Gnome

Executive Member
I hike up table mountain weekly.

All the dams up there are full (before the rain even). Completely full, as in the water is running out the overflow. (and yes I have pics)
Table Mountain has had plenty of rain, there is different weather system up there.

All the dams up there are full (before the rain even). Completely full, as in the water is running out the overflow. (and yes I have pics)
Table Mountain has had plenty of rain, there is different weather system up there.

Does that water get used in Hout Bay?

genetic

Honorary Master

Their supply to the city's water supply system is negligible.

Gnome

Executive Member
Their supply to the city's water supply system is negligible.

There are 5 enormous dams up there. And the pipe track has a huge high pressure pipe running straight down to the City.
Or when you say "City" do you mean everything outside the Atlantic Seaboard and City bowl?

Link to your sources?

EDIT: Wikipedia says otherwise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodhead_Dam
Today, these five dams supply around 15% of the water for Cape Town

That is 15% of Cape Town not even just the City. That is not insignificant.

Last edited:

genetic

Honorary Master
There are 5 enormous dams up there. And the pipe track has a huge high pressure pipe running straight down to the City.
Or when you say "City" do you mean everything outside the Atlantic Seaboard and City bowl?

Link to your sources?

15% is insignificant when the majority of the 85% is neglected.

Syphonx

Expert Member

That's because they get the condensation when the southeaster blows, and they are tiny. Woodhead dam at full capacity could supply the city for about 1.5 days.

Sneeky

Honorary Master
Flooding Warnings :)

Looks like Windytv is on track.

Just say this on the news boards.
WC, NC WARNED TO BRACE FOR FLOODING AS COLD FRONT APPROACHES

CAPE TOWN - The weather service has issued a warning of possible flooding, as a powerful cold front moves in parts of the Cape this week.

The weekend offered Capetonians a brief respite from the crippling drought with some much-needed rain.

Forecaster Michael Barnes says a bigger cold front will hit the province on Tuesday evening.

“It looks like a very intense system. There is going to be some heavy rainfall and flooding for the Western Cape and Northern Cape.”

Rough sea conditions are expected along the western coastline this week, as a result of the cold front.

The National Sea Rescue Institute's Craig Lambinon says: “We’re expecting sea swells in excess of at least 10m and gale force winds. This will be aggravated by the full moon Spring tide, which peaks on Friday 9 June.”

The NSRI has urged the public to follow official weather authorities’ predictions and weather warnings and to prepare for the expected conditions.

Meanwhile, farmers have welcomed rain seen over the weekend in Cape Town.

The Western Cape is the grips of the worst drought in decades, with several regions being declared disaster areas.

Agri Western Cape's Carl Opperman says the situation for farmers is dire.

“Wheat farmers need water to start germination. It is very, very dry.”

Opperman says the looming cold front is desperately needed.
http://ewn.co.za/2017/06/05/cape-authorities-warn-of-possible-flooding-as-cold-front-approaches

Lets hope it falls in the right areas.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Ah, a cold front - marvelous. Maybe they will have finished working on my car's A/C just in time for this cold front, otherwise I'll have to cycle in the rain. What a smart man I am indeed.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
Ah, a cold front - marvelous. Maybe they will have finished working on my car's A/C just in time for this cold front, otherwise I'll have to cycle in the rain. What a smart man I am indeed.
You might as well just stay dry in the car without the A/C lol :)

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
You might as well just stay dry in the car without the A/C lol :)

What a good idea, only problem is the entire front of the car has been taken off and they won't put it back before they have a replace expansion valve... could be weeks for all we know. :love: gotta love French engineering, and the morons like me that buys it.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
What a good idea, only problem is the entire front of the car has been taken off and they won't put it back before they have a replace expansion valve... could be weeks for all we know. :love: gotta love French engineering, and the morons like me that buys it.
Oh I see, oh well enjoy the rain. :D

Sneeky

Honorary Master

You may want to call in a sick note for a few days mate

A day out and this storm looks set to rival 1984 and 2001 in Cape Town with a real chance of severe storm tides and wind and flood damage as 50kt gales drive 60ft swells ashore

GFS_RAIN_RSA_PLOT12.gif

Detailed surf/rain/wind forecast
https://www.wavescape.co.za/surf-news/breaking-news/here-it-comes.html

The wind pumps all day Wednesday, but the worst of it looks set to come between 11am and 5pm, with gusts approaching hurricane-force (2 x galeforce), especially over the southern parts of the Peninsula. After initial heavy downpours, it rains on and off all day, including up in the mountains, but a second 'wave' of rain becomes even more severe in the late afternoon, and it's bucketing down in the catchment area for 8-10 hours from late Wednesday into the early hours of Thursday. It should really make a difference to dam levels, but there will be widespread flooding.

Last edited:

Archer

Honorary Master

Link to your sources?

That 15% is from a link dated 2003... And I'm pretty sure it is just for the city judging by how really really tiny the dam is: Woodhead dam is 480 times smaller than Theewaterskloof... so pretty much insignificant