Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Last edited:

Sneeky

Honorary Master
[video=youtube;YE_1XoNUjJw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE_1XoNUjJw[/video]

SeRpEnT

Executive Member
Ah, a cold front - marvelous. Maybe they will have finished working on my car's A/C just in time for this cold front, otherwise I'll have to cycle in the rain. What a smart man I am indeed.

From the look of it, you might do better with a kayak once this coldfront reaches us!

Draganchor

Thanks for all the info a links friends. Very informative.

On a side note, the Table Mountain reservoirs are not dams, they are reservoirs.
I know one poster said they are full, fair call. But if you cycle around Theewaterskloof, you will realize how small these reservoirs are.
And yeah, I know them quite well having grown up under neath them. Pipe track been my daily walk as a kid.

Oh, If you get get to the top, go see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterworks_Museum
pretty kool. (perhaps I am a geek) :)
Just remember, food, liquid and some warms and dry clothing, been caught out a few times up there till I learnt.

again, thanks for all the respondent and the info, quite good info from MYBB

Cheers Ko

PS, anyone gonna take a walk to overlook Dungeons on Wednesday (I will not consider getting in the water)
But I am sure a few hell-men will be out there.

EDIT, does anyone know how the Newlands spring is doing re flow rates?

Last edited:

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Can i ask a question..

Why dont the City find ways to catch water from any rainfall, and then transport that water to the Dams. Whenever it has rained, i always sat looking out and thinking, this water is just going to waste down the drains etc.
I think this is what should be done on a small scale. Individuals and communities can harvest water cheaply and efficiently. Won't reach the levels of dam-filling but it will make a difference on a small scale which is a start. Lots of good ideas on the water shedding Facebook group. Catching rain water from your gutters in a simple wheelie bin, for starters...

I'm looking for a website that gives the mm of rainfall that HAS fallen for an area. Is there such a site out there.

Grant

Honorary Master
I think this is what should be done on a small scale. Individuals and communities can harvest water cheaply and efficiently. Won't reach the levels of dam-filling but it will make a difference on a small scale which is a start. Lots of good ideas on the water shedding Facebook group. Catching rain water from your gutters in a simple wheelie bin, for starters...

i am a trustee of one block of flats & the chairman of another - i have instructed the building managers of both buildings to use wheelie bins to catch water from the roof.
they have been instructed to release the downpipe drain clamps & place the bins directly under the downpipes to catch all water coming down

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
i am a trustee of one block of flats & the chairman of another - i have instructed the building managers of both buildings to use wheelie bins to catch water from the roof.
they have been instructed to release the downpipe drain clamps & place the bins directly under the downpipes to catch all water coming down
Good stuff. I'm getting some bins today for our gutters. Every bit helps. Can use the rain water for flushing toilets, watering plants. Washing dirty cars which haven't been washed for months...

yebocan

Honorary Master
Expect road flooding...all the storm drains, as per usual is filled with crap...CoCT seems to forget, to clean the street level ducts.

medicnick83

Paramedic
Looking forward to the rain hey, really am!

But yeah, the flooding is going to affect the shacks and squatter camps etc as well.

Tikkop

Expect road flooding...all the storm drains, as per usual is filled with crap...CoCT seems to forget, to clean the street level ducts.

Hopefully the Medi-Clinic in Somerset West won't float away again.

Archer

Honorary Master
You can thank my aunt for the rain, they've decided to replace their roof this week :p

Cray

Honorary Master
So is this rain forecast going to include the catchment areas?

Craig_

Honorary Master
How bad is this projected to be? There is not a cloud in site in Stellenbosch yet.