Rain and storm for Cpt

cerebus

Honorary Master
Is this a real alert?

#nottrafficrelated

The city of Cape Town has released a warning ahead of the "hurricane type storm" set to hit tonight expecting:

- 80mm of rain to fall in 24 hours
- heavy snow fall in higher regions
- flashfloods on low lying and flat areas
- wind speeds of between 100 - 140 km/h
- mud slides on mountain side roads

Citizens are urged to prepare for the storm by moving any loose furniture indoors and bring any pets inside. Evacuation plans have been set out for several areas and the South African air force is on standby from 10pm onwards.

Citizens are also urged to remain indoors as much as possible and to clear away from any dead or burnt trees that may fall during the storm.

Should there be any emergency that requires immediate help please contact the following:

SAPS - 10111
CPT Disaster centre - 080 911 4357

Stay safe and remain indoors. Please pass this message on to keep family and friends safe through this week.

#adminteam

Geoff.D

Executive Member
The AAO index is expected to remain negative until at least the 22nd June. Will post the date when the index goes positive again.
So any fronts that do come through between now and then should result in fairly good rains especially in the mountains.

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
So weird lying in bed last night and hearing the wind that was whipping up knowing what was coming. Normally in Summer when the wind pumps you just think, 'meh, just the Cape Doctor'. This though, almost had a sense of foreboding about it. Still amazed that it only took me 20 minutes or so this morning to get to work. Thought I'd be stuck in traffic for an hour at least.

Geoff.D

Executive Member
So weird lying in bed last night and hearing the wind that was whipping up knowing what was coming. Normally in Summer when the wind pumps you just think, 'meh, just the Cape Doctor'. This though, almost had a sense of foreboding about it. Still amazed that it only took me 20 minutes or so this morning to get to work. Thought I'd be stuck in traffic for an hour at least.
Probably because the rest of CT is cowering under their beds :twisted:

Gordon_R

Expert Member
Is this downpour hitting the catchment areas?
Steady accumulation of rain, with intermittent patches.

SAEON Dwarsberg (Jonkershoek) recorded the following amounts:
14mm up to 9am, 10mm up to 10m, etc.
Then 19mm up to 2pm!
Cumulative total about 55mm between 8am and 2pm (6 hours).
Predicted to exceed 100mm during this event.

MightyQuin

Executive Member

Then 19mm up to 2pm!
This is amazing...with more to come.

Stats will probably prove me wrong, but I do nt remember it raining like this, at this time, last year.

air

Expert Member

Then 19mm up to 2pm!
Add 18.8mm for 2pm to 3pm slot, sitting at ~74mm
Keen to see dams uplift over next few days :)

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Yes, quite, but if only it would be more focused on the catchment areas. Yes. Mmmm. Never be totally happy with the rain.
Im sitting in the Waterfront and its bucketing down but all of that rain is wasted because it goes straight into the sea. We get literally nothing from that rain.