• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • Win an Amazon Echo Dot in this two-day giveaway - Enter Here

Rain and storm for Cpt

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I'm taking a gamble here - been on the bike for past week. Tomorrow I'll take the car, Friday the bike. Let's see how this pans out.

Cr419

Executive Member
I'm taking a gamble here - been on the bike for past week. Tomorrow I'll take the car, Friday the bike. Let's see how this pans out.
With the wind blowing like it's blowing outside now, that would really be a gamble to be on a bike now, or even tomorrow.

Cr419

Executive Member
Raining in the Northern Suburbs. Wind is blowing also.
Raining here also. And now I have to go back home because my little one now decided he doesn't want to stay home, he wants to go to daycare. Stellenbosch morning traffic and rain is not my favourite combination.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
Raining here also. And now I have to go back home because my little one now decided he doesn't want to stay home, he wants to go to daycare. Stellenbosch morning traffic and rain is not my favourite combination.
Does everybody on here live in Stellenbosch?

Geoff.D

Executive Member
Good rainfall measured at Dwarsberg, just under 37 mm. Not so much at Constantiaberg.
Second front should provide some more rain. Now all the powers at be that have been responsible for delaying the Clanwilliam project need to be hung drawn and quartered and then drowned in the dam overflow for good measure!

My sister reports that it rained cats,dogs and elephants in Brackenfell this afternoon.

Last edited:

Gordon_R

Expert Member
There was 11.5mm in our gauge in Kenilworth overnight on Thurs 12th, plus another 11mm till this morning.

I was caught in a brief hailstorm while driving yesterday morning!

SAEON Dwarsberg reported 37mm on Thurs 12th, plus 22mm on Fri 13th, plus about 5mm early this morning.

No significant cold fronts are predicted for the SW-Cape during the next 7-10 days.

There may be some isolated showers from a (warm) West Coast upper trough on Tues 17th.

Dam levels have mostly stabilised, with very limited inflows from below-average rains since the deluge on 2 July.

Geoff.D

Executive Member
The AAO index went positive and is staying that way with no signs of reverting zero or going negative. The mid Atlantic high pressure area is thus pushing fronts south of SA. A real pity as another spel of rain would have really got things well on the way to normal for WC and EC.

Gordon_R

Expert Member
Different models produce somewhat different long-range forecasts. The next potential cold-front is likely in a week's time, on Sun 22nd: https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Table-Mountain/forecasts/1087

Edit: Subsequent runs of the same model (posted by Captain Beer) also show rain on Sun 22nd: https://www.yr.no/place/South_Africa/Western_Cape/Paarl/long.html

Edit: Yet another (independent) model shows rain on Sun 22nd and Mon 23rd: http://clients.customweather.com/1STWX/forecasts.php?type=15-day&wid=FACT#tabs-5

The water table in the SW-Cape is currently quite high due to the recent heavy rains (June and early July). This means that further rain this season should produce good runoff. The situation in 2017 was very different, when a persistent soil moisture deficit throughout the rainfall season produced very little runoff.

Last edited:

noxibox

Honorary Master
Statistically, July is the wettest month of the year.
Some sources indicate it is June. But whichever one it is they're shown as being quite close to each other. Whatever the average is some years, even good years, have had a lot in the one month and much less in the other.

genetic

Honorary Master
Some sources indicate it is June. But whichever one it is they're shown as being quite close to each other. Whatever the average is some years, even good years, have had a lot in the one month and much less in the other.
My point being that the eight of our winter rainfall is over, and we haven't had a lot of it.