RAIN LTE-A: Speedtests

Lishen23

Can anyone recommend a good onmi-directional antenna? I read that the poynting xpol-006 is a directional antenna and as such doesn't perform well if you don't have line of sight of the tower. I definitely do not have line of sight.

Did a speed test and I was getting 2mbps down, and like 0.5mbps up. Do you guys think its worth giving an external antenna a shot or nah?

EDIT: Just got off the phone with poynting direct, the very helpful sales lady said that if I'm far away (which I probably am) then an omni directional antenna wont work well and I'd need to use a directional antenna. She said that I can purchase it, try it out - don't install it, get someone to hold it up where I plan on mounting it while I check the signal/speeds and if it's not working well I can return it within 2 weeks as long as I didn't mount/damage it.

I'm just posting this info here for anyone else who may be interested. Also, I did see that poynting direct sell stuff on takealot for the same price. My advice is to do the purchase through takealot, this will make delivery easier and should it not work, return much much easier.

Last edited:

ekkekan

Get your self a Antenna, your speed would double more like triple in value.
All i Use on my side is a Old Phone cable as a Antenna.

Did you plug in a old tel cable in the phone socket on the router or how did you do it?

I just got this result in the lounge which could be in the direction of the tower. Rain refuses to even give a north, south etc direction from a major intersection close to me.

speedtest-11-10.jpg

Last edited:

bigboy529

Expert Member
Rietvallei park Pretoria east.
Download: 30.00 Mbps
Upload: 13.88 Mbps
Ping: 20 ms
Earlier I got over 60 Mbps down when I did my first speed test

koeksGHT

Dealer
6685130056.png

Voicy

Honorary Master
6709612717.png

80/80 is the slowest line available from our provider. They offer up to 1Gbps connections. Been considering a 300/300 line, but everything's just streaming these days anyway.

ponder

Honorary Master
6709612717.png

80/80 is the slowest line available from our provider. They offer up to 1Gbps connections. Been considering a 300/300 line, but everything's just streaming these days anyway.

The latency is horrible though, is it always like that?

Voicy

Honorary Master
The latency is horrible though, is it always like that?

Nah, usually around 20-40ms. I took this while the gf was watching netflix and the set top box is running. Also got youtube and wow running on my pc.

Just did another test now to a bigger town further south.

6709797412.png

dotcat

6709612717.png

Just remember this thread is for speed tests on the RAIN LTE-A network. Not just speed tests in general.

pouroverguy

Expert Member
Get your self a Antenna, your speed would double more like triple in value.
All i Use on my side is a Old Phone cable as a Antenna.

Would you mind explaining what exactly you mean by using an old phone cable as antenna? And what is the process?

Voicy

Honorary Master
Just remember this thread is for speed tests on the RAIN LTE-A network. Not just speed tests in general.

Oh tollie! Sorry, I didn't notice the sub. :eek: , just saw the thread under "new posts".