Raspberry Pi Zero W for $10

Daruk

Honorary Master
Blah blah blah, out of stock, blah blah blah, never was in stock to start with, blah blah blah

K3NS31

Expert Member
Blah blah blah, out of stock, blah blah blah, never was in stock to start with, blah blah blah
There's plenty stock available but you need to find someone to send to SA for you. Pimoroni and co have had good stock levels (of standard Zero) for months now (1 per customer tho :( - and it looks like this one will be manufactured in similar quantities ~ 25K units / week according to the vid.
Blame RS and Farnell for not wanting to sell low-margin components. If they were prepared to stock it, the Rpi Foundation could put it through the same manufacturers as the big Pi and churn out mutherloads.

That said, if you check the website, they've added a bunch more distributors for the Zero W. Mostly in Europe tho.

Daruk

Honorary Master
There's plenty stock available but you need to find someone to send to SA for you. Pimoroni and co have had good stock levels (of standard Zero) for months now (1 per customer tho :( - and it looks like this one will be manufactured in similar quantities ~ 25K units / week according to the vid.
Blame RS and Farnell for not wanting to sell low-margin components. If they were prepared to stock it, the Rpi Foundation could put it through the same manufacturers as the big Pi and churn out mutherloads.

That said, if you check the website, they've added a bunch more distributors for the Zero W. Mostly in Europe tho.
1 per customer. It's a standard policy the world over. So what you're in effect paying is the price of the pi plus shipping each. You could go through the trouble of buying one per family member if you really want, but still, no combined shipping. I found a place that will sell you 30, but then they cost 28 euros each. These things are not being manufactured in any large quantities. There's a handful of shops worldwide with a handful of stock, that's it.

I'd like a local supplier and I'd like to be able to buy 10.
Not possible.

K3NS31

Expert Member
1 per customer. It's a standard policy the world over. So what you're in effect paying is the price of the pi plus shipping each. You could go through the trouble of buying one per family member if you really want, but still, no combined shipping. I found a place that will sell you 30, but then they cost 28 euros each. These things are not being manufactured in any large quantities. There's a handful of shops worldwide with a handful of stock, that's it.

I'd like a local supplier and I'd like to be able to buy 10.
Not possible.
I'd also love to be able to buy 10 from a local supplier, but if you wanna talk about a handful of stock - when they launched the Pi Zero they had 50 or 60 000 in stock. They only made the same again in the next 6 months. Even at 1 per customer you couldn't find them anywhere. (I know, I looked). So now you may only be able to buy 1 per store, but at least you can get them.

Anyway, it's a moot point - they aren't capable of making more cos they're manufacturing in England not China because the big distributors won't stock the thing, so they can't move large numbers.
And you can't buy anything else cos nothing has close to the hardware or software support of the Pi. I mean you can buy many alternative offerings, but you're going to have a much harder time getting them to work. Anyway, now that there are several European suppliers you should be able to get at least 5 if you can get someone to take delivery and bring them in.

Daruk

Honorary Master
^^So their 'marketing' model is 'It's cheap!'
But suppliers won't stock them because they can't make money. Not sure what the Pi foundation is actually making. That's not sustainable, surely. I'd rather see a free market model. If they're too expensive, they won't move, but let people put their own prices to them.

mister

Executive Member
These are never in stock and the wifi model will be no different ...
Rather pay $7 for a Orange Pi Zero, its a Quad Core with full ethernet and wifi , and best of all its in stock everywhere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkemPk1kS84&list=UU7-8D_CylwneCLdaZ_RhosA&index=15&t=1s
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...nt-board-beyond-Raspberry-Pi/32760774493.html
I'm quite happy with my Orange Pi Ones ($9.99). I picked up two on Aliexpress and wish I bought a few more.

K3NS31

Expert Member
^^So their 'marketing' model is 'It's cheap!'
But suppliers won't stock them because they can't make money. Not sure what the Pi foundation is actually making. That's not sustainable, surely. I'd rather see a free market model. If they're too expensive, they won't move, but let people put their own prices to them.
The Pi Zero was meant to be cheap and super portable and very low power requirements. They use RRP pricing because they're meant to be for educational purposes. That was always the point. (All models, not just the Zero).
And 12 million units sold in 5 years is pretty good going for "Not sustainable".

Daruk

Honorary Master
The Pi Zero was meant to be cheap and super portable and very low power requirements. They use RRP pricing because they're meant to be for educational purposes. That was always the point. (All models, not just the Zero).
And 12 million units sold in 5 years is pretty good going for "Not sustainable".
Except that you can't really buy them for educational insitutions. You have to stand in line with everyone else.

K3NS31

Expert Member
Except that you can't really buy them for educational insitutions. You have to stand in line with everyone else.
I'm pretty sure they do deals with educational institutions separately. At least in England. I know they do for the bigger Pi.