Rate per KM for private vehicle

JaysonG

Hi guys

I have a questions. I work in a sales role where my employment contract says the following:

‘MOTOR VEHICLE
It is a condition of employment that the employee has a suitable, reliable motor vehicle which he/she will be required to use for work purposes. The employer shall bear the cost of work-related fuel usage.’

As a part of my job I travel about 2000km per month for client/site visits. Basically they give me a R2500 Petrol allowance but do not pay anything else towards my personal vehicle. No maintenance per km.

Now what’s happening is that some people have been abusing the system and using the fuel allowance for person travel (using the petrol card for personal travel to work and home etc.).

My employer is now going to deduct R1.50 per km travelled between work and home off my salary. For example I live 30km from work so it is a round trip of 60km per day. This means that my employer will deduct R90 per day off my salary. R 90 times 21 working days (average monthly) = R 1 890 per month deducted off my salary.

My car has a 1000cc engine and costs me about R1 per km. They are keeping the R2500 fuel allowance in place. The fuel allowance/card is a separate entity and not reflected on my pay slip or contractual agreement. There is also no compensation for the maintenance on my vehicle.

Am I able to take them to the CCMA? I feel that there must be some kind of legal action that I can take.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

thechamp

Honorary Master
Yes you should take it further, people who are abusing the system should be dealt with individually, no general group sanction, you employer is taking chances.

Unless the employer is giving you the go ahead to use the petrol card for your personal travel, and deducting it afterwards.

JaysonG

They can't deduct your personal travel to and from work off your salary. It's got nothing to do with them how you get to work. No doubt that wouldnt fly in any labour court.
I must agree. Thank you.

Ivan Leon

Expert Member
Use the AA vehicle rates calculator to work out what the rate per km is for your vehicle (both including & excluding wear & tear) and then either use a GPS with a trip recorder capability or Google Maps (using Android Auto / Apple CarPlay or a cell-phone) to keep track of EVERY trip you make - both work & personal - and then submit it monthly in an Excel spreadsheet so that they can compensate you accordingly for your WORK trips.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Employer taking chances. You must start billing them for every business km travelled.

Magnum

Expert Member
MY Emp took the Fleet card away because of abuse and introduce a "Foolproof " travel pay plan. Now everyday I'm "STEALING" more than what the guys could ever do on the fleet card and its legal.

Just remember that is a perk. They can severely cut it.