*READ FIRST* iBurst Network Status & Issues (DNS, Throughput and Latency)

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
If you have experienced an issue first check the Network Status page to identify whether there are base stations in your area with an issue:
iBurst Network Status
You can also check:
iBurst Incident Reports
and:
iBurst on Twitter

To report a fault, call 087 720 7200 (free from your iCall phone) or email helpdesk@iburstgroup.co.za.
Take note of the reference number in case you need to follow up.

If you are posting in the iBurst Forum on MyBroadband then update the location in your profile: Click on My Profile, then click on Location to set your location. This will reduce the time it will take to answer your query and assist you.

When posting queries or problems it is beneficial to include:
- time of event
- example of event, e.g. url

Do not post personal information like a telephone number, email address or UTID (modem serial number) on a public forum. If this information is requested by the representative, use the forum PM (private message) facility and be sure to include a brief description of the fault again. If the representative has to search through old posts to find your information it will cause a delay in the resolution of your problem.

Maintenance windows: The scheduled maintenance windows for the network are Thursday morning (12:00am to 03:00am) and Sunday morning (05:00am to 06:00am)
Change windows: The change window for the web site, OSS and BSS systems is Thursday night.

DNS Troubleshooting Tips

Last edited by a moderator:

Azimuth-1

Cape Town international connectivity issue

Ffs. What's the problem now? I've had international connectivity issues all day (Cape Town).

This on top of my last EXACT SAME COMPLAINT not being sorted out by the iBurst guy here, who mailed me, conveniently couldn't access my contract info "because of system issues" (lol.), and never got back to me. Way to go.

I see iBurst is currently promoting "reliable internet connections" on their website. Isn't that some sort of breach of advertising policy?

Last edited:

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
Apologies for the inconvenience. Cape Town experience an upstream peering issue which is being resolved.

Xenophon

Expert Member
Well, I'm in Jhb and my speeds in general is bloody crap. I've given up trying to open internation sites.

HazMan

Crappy connection in Kempton park

Hi all

I have been using iBurst for around 8 months, and use it for work and gaming on the iGame servers. I have had relatively few issues with speed and connection - but in the last two weeks, I am getting lagged and disconnected while gaming between 9 and midnight. Is it just me, or is anyone else in the Kempton Park area having similar problems ? I am wondering if the Trust Bank tower is oversubscribed... :confused:

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
I have asked the transmission guys to double check and investigate the Kempton area. Will provide feedback.

Mental-Tree

Base station that services Parkrand Boksburg

Ok so this base station is obviously buggered. Every day my mate(also lives in Parkrand) and I will be playing a game online and booooooom our connections drop at exactly the same time. This is starting to get highly annoying and seeing as though both of our connections drop I think we can safely rule out my pc/mode/signal as the cause. Also I have BitDefender internet security 2010 installed and fully updated so viruses are ruled out.

Could a technician please be sent out to test/fix/bomb this base station.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
Ok so this base station is obviously buggered. Every day my mate(also lives in Parkrand) and I will be playing a game online and booooooom our connections drop at exactly the same time. This is starting to get highly annoying and seeing as though both of our connections drop I think we can safely rule out my pc/mode/signal as the cause. Also I have BitDefender internet security 2010 installed and fully updated so viruses are ruled out.

Could a technician please be sent out to test/fix/bomb this base station.

Please PM me your UTIDs and the time of the incident and I'll have it investigated.

ProfA

Honorary Master
Very slow downloads in Bloemfontein

I'm already on the throttle service (which was fixed today :confused: ), but am experiencing really bad download speeds (0.5-1kbps) in the Bloemfontein (Langenhovenpark) area from rapidshare. Generally websites are opening OK (international seems a bit sluggish).

HazMan

Thanks Ronald - I'm not yet ready to head off into Telkom-land... please fix my iBurst :)

OoMk0o5i3

The tower seems fine (I'm also using it), but maybe crapidshare shapes the traffic for free users

Nixlu

No international

So my problems started last night at about 12am, I was happily playing STO and then nothing, I did make a trace route and saved it as a draft in my gmail.... it was an interesting one.... it kept looping between the same 2 ip addresses. I would post it, but as the title says... no international

Now we get to this morning.... still no google.... but I can get to other websites

when is this going o be fixed?

From website:
"Problems and general queries
Phone our general call centre on 0877 20 72 00 (free from your iCall™ phone) or email us at helpdesk@iburstgroup.co.za any time – 24/7/365."

24/7/365.... they there's a laugh....... I've been on the phone for 30 minutes now... and no answer.... you should fire your current helpdesk staff as they seem to be sleeping on the job... and you can't tell me they are busy at 06h46 in the morning

Last edited:

Nixlu

OK, so I can't get to gmail... but I can get to youtube.... and here is youtubes traceroute

C:\Users\Nixlu>tracert -d www.youtube.com

Tracing route to youtube-ui.l.google.com [74.125.87.101]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 71 ms 44 ms 44 ms 41.56.199.1
3 69 ms 49 ms 44 ms 192.168.2.3
4 69 ms 130 ms 44 ms 192.168.4.38
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.

someone please explain that to me, I can browse the site, but can't trace it...

and here is gmails traceroute
C:\Users\Nixlu>tracert -d www.google.com

Tracing route to www.l.google.com [74.125.87.104]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 71 ms 44 ms 44 ms 41.56.199.1
3 69 ms 49 ms 49 ms 192.168.2.3
4 44 ms 44 ms 44 ms 192.168.4.38
5 * * * Request timed out.

oh and I'm still holding for helpdesk.... I'm not putting the phone down people so it isn't going to help ignoring that one phone call

Nixlu

So after holding for about 40minutes... someone answered, and I was told the helpdesk only works from 7am to 11pm..... 24/7 is a lie