[Recommend] A decent mid range Android Phone

smb3

So my current phone is a Xiaomi 4X, but it's been giving me problems (speaker phone not working + can't fast charge).

I got this specific phone on sale for R1899 and these are the specs (that I care about):

* 3GB Ram
* 32GB Internal Storage
* SD Card Support
* Rest of specs link

So the recommendation is for an android phone that has the same or similar feature set for that price. I don't do gaming on the phone, so it's basically a phone that can hold alot of apps without slowdown of the OS.

Been looking myself but looks to be a hard find?

chrismine

So my current phone is a Xiaomi 4X, but it's been giving me problems (speaker phone not working + can't fast charge).

I got this specific phone on sale for R1899 and these are the specs (that I care about):

* 3GB Ram
* 32GB Internal Storage
* SD Card Support
* Rest of specs link

So the recommendation is for an android phone that has the same or similar feature set for that price. I don't do gaming on the phone, so it's basically a phone that can hold alot of apps without slowdown of the OS.

Huawei P20 LITE?

inanabhay

I'm very satisfied with my Redmi 4A - its running very well, son plays numerous games on it (almost all the time) and, for such an old phone, it still gets regular updates

YM_80

* 3GB Ram
* 32GB Internal Storage
* SD Card Support
* Rest of specs link

Might not get in that price range, but look at Nokia maybe. Their value for money is good - even moreso if you get it at a good price from overseas through someone coming to SA. For example, the 6.1 goes for R5000 locally, but it's going for £149 in the UK at the moment - which is roughly R2700.

Sumen

Expert Member

* 3GB Ram
* 32GB Internal Storage
* SD Card Support
* Rest of specs link

Budget?

sajunky

Honorary Master
Huawei Y6 2018. It only has 2GB RAM, but after few firmware updates it is responsible all the time. Only browsing photos show it runs on a low powered CPU. Quality camera in its price range and is available locally on contracts. Dedicated SD Card slot plus dual SIM if bought from Telkom or Cell C. Supports VoLTE. When traveling VoWiFi is saving roaming fees (on Cell C - but not on Vodacom).

More powerful Y7 2018 can be found discounted on contracts, it may fit in your upper bracket (while a cash price is around R3000), maybe Prime version too, just get 2018 model for EMUI 8 and updated hardware. Huawei Y series look like premium phones and they are well made. I wish we could have Honor range available locally.

hackus17

One of the Nokias is around your price range. It doesn't have the best of specs but it's Android One (so latest software) and Nokia reliability

smb3

I wouldn't class sub R2k as a midrange android device... #justsaying

Midrange would be the 4-8k range imho.
Fair point. What phone do you recommend tho?

Around 2k-3.5k. The phone isn't urgent, it's more that I want to know what's available and then score a deal of some sorts. Wouldn't mind taking a risk on a 2nd hand phone as well.

Sinbad

Honorary Master

Around 2k-3.5k. The phone isn't urgent, it's more that I want to know what's available and then score a deal of some sorts. Wouldn't mind taking a risk on a 2nd hand phone as well.
If you can stretch that budget a bit, Huawei should be launching some new stuff in the next few months I believe.

Conack

Expert Member
Xiaomi Note 5 will not disappoint.
Saw it on special for around $150 recently - looking at around 3k or just below though.

Sumen

Expert Member

Nokia 6.1 is R3999 if you can stretch your budget.
The new one will be coming in few months so the 6.1's price should drop.