Recommendations for an ADSL modem under R1000?

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
Putting in a new Telkom ADSL and fixed line package next month, but it doesn't include a modem. What are my best options for under R1000 (as little as possible please, limited budget). Don't want total rubbish, but don't want to buy more than I need just because it is bigger, better, faster. Only have a 4mb line available in the area so ... house area is 87m2 ... not sure what else is relevant. Connected devices - 2 phones with only whatsapp running (all other data chewing stuff is switched off) 1 computer nearly all the time, one computer intermittently.

thanks so much

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Huawei HG532f from the telkom shop for R550.

Its a bargin for that price and if lightning damages it they will replace it.

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
Huawei HG532f from the telkom shop for R550.

Its a bargin for that price and if lightning damages it they will replace it.
thanks will take a look

https://www.makro.co.za/computing-and-mobile/asus-wireless-adsl-modem-router-n300--312732EA

ASUS DSL-14U. Currently on sale at Makro. Packed with plenty of features if you are a power user and is quite reliable.
thanks, but so NOT a power user. PC is on all day because I'm working, but not on the net as such. Just don't have that much data available.

K4atos92

Just bought myself one over the weekend.

Much better than my previous D-Link.
Yup, very awesome router indeed. First one got struck by lightning earlier this year. Refused to replace it with anything else. It's just that awesome

K4atos92

thanks will take a look

thanks, but so NOT a power user. PC is on all day because I'm working, but not on the net as such. Just don't have that much data available.
Oh, right. Besides the advanced features, I really think it's a good router. For that price especially. Check out some reviews and see what others have to say about it :)

Fox1

Expert Member
Asus Routers have great Wi-Fi coverage, simple to setup and simple QoS config if needed. Mine handles more than 8 devices on Wi-Fi and it's lasting me for more than 3 years. Huawei make good products but for R50 more I would go with the Asus.

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
Asus Routers have great Wi-Fi coverage, simple to setup and simple QoS config if needed. Mine handles more than 8 devices on Wi-Fi and it's lasting me for more than 3 years. Huawei make good products but for R50 more I would go with the Asus.
what the heck is QoS?

(see total ignorance here, I dread having to install this thing)

Fox1

Expert Member
It's Quality of Service. It's an option. Don't touch it if you don't need it. Just run the setup of the disc and you good to go :)

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
It's Quality of Service. It's an option. Don't touch it if you don't need it. Just run the setup of the disc and you good to go :)
installation disc I can do. unless it asks me for things I have no clue how to answer. I can foresee time on the phone getting help.

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
Hi sorry all, but one factor I did not mention is old Karoo 30cm thick walls. Have been told I need a newer better faster modem to go through the mudbrick.

Yes/No? Suggestions?

Lupus

Honorary Master
Hi sorry all, but one factor I did not mention is old Karoo 30cm thick walls. Have been told I need a newer better faster modem to go through the mudbrick.

Yes/No? Suggestions?
The Asus would probably work, it has 5dbi antenna, you could look for more powerful ones as well.