Recommended 12v batteries

markrw

I currently have 2x100ah royal 1111k batteries to keep me going during load shedding. Even though the inverter cuts out at 50% dod they have not lasted very well. I need to replace them. Can anyone recommend some decent 12v 100ah batteries? Can anyone comment on the royal dc31 batteries? A few said they are better than the 1150k batteries I came across.

The DC31 batteries are deep cycle and the 1150k batteries are multi purpose not deep cycle.

Can only recommend
Blue nova BN13V-108
Hubble S-120

Else go for the cheapest cause all LA's are crap.

Agreed, waiting for a server rack and then replacing our LA's with LFP's, different use case adnmittedly.

I've got the DC31's and they've been perfect so far....

I currently have 2x100ah royal 1111k batteries to keep me going during load shedding. Even though the inverter cuts out at 50% dod they have not lasted very well. I need to replace them. Can anyone recommend some decent 12v 100ah batteries? Can anyone comment on the royal dc31 batteries? A few said they are better than the 1150k batteries I came across.
The Royals were the ones I got in July of 2020 as that was what I could get ahold of, they aren't the best they've kept my router, laptop, monitor and speakers going during load shedding and in 2020 we still had 4.5 hours at a time, but they are now after only a year and a half giving in.
But it doesn't matter the make of LA batteries they can all give problems, I've got an allgrand 120ah that has a dead cell so I replaced it with a Hubble.

Blue nova BN13V-108

Expensive, but work well.

You can typically use one of these to replace two conventional deep cycle batteries.

Blue nova BN13V-108

You can typically use one of these to replace two conventional deep cycle batteries.

Only if you have a 12V application, sounds like OP has a 24V application?

Personally I opted for Sako 24V LiFePO4. Will never go back to LA's. LA= Cheap start-up cost but way more expensive over time.

Only if you have a 12V application, sounds like OP has a 24V application?

Personally I opted for Sako 24V LiFePO4. Will never go back to LA's. LA= Cheap start-up cost but way more expensive over time.

Do you have a link for that Sako 24V ?

BTW, I also have a 24 volt application with 2x Blue Novas.

Last edited:
Blue nova BN13V-108

Be careful of saying you can use one lithium to replace 2 LAs, cause in theory yes, but in practice not always the case.

I am running a 12v system. I run the 2 batteries in parallel.

I researched a bit on the lithium option. I do have solar panels connected to take me through extended outages. Unfortunately it is a PWM charge on my inverter and from what I have read you shouldn't use a PWM charger on lithium batteries. Its a real pity because I think lithium would have been a much better bet

I am running a 12v system. I run the 2 batteries in parallel.

I researched a bit on the lithium option. I do have solar panels connected to take me through extended outages. Unfortunately it is a PWM charge on my inverter and from what I have read you shouldn't use a PWM charger on lithium batteries. Its a real pity because I think lithium would have been a much better bet
The hubble has its own BMS so is a bit like a LA

The hubble has its own BMS so is a bit like a LA
So is it safe to charge a hubble from the PWM. I read it wasn't because when the voltage is not right the BMS will cut the charge to the battery and then without the battery in the equation it would freak out the charger. But I am not sure sure exactly how these chargers work.

So is it safe to charge a hubble from the PWM. I read it wasn't because when the voltage is not right the BMS will cut the charge to the battery and then without the battery in the equation it would freak out the charger. But I am not sure sure exactly how these chargers work.
Not sure if it's safe, just said it's theoretically possible

The batteries are designed to be drop in lead replacement and the BMS is there to handle the charging process, you can think of the BMS as a charger that understands your lithium battery.

The batteries are designed to be drop in lead replacement and the BMS is there to handle the charging process, you can think of the BMS as a charger that understands your lithium battery.
It is apparently the pulsating effect of the way the PWM works which is the problem. So I know it will not break the battery but apparently will not charge it effectively

It is apparently the pulsating effect of the way the PWM works which is the problem. So I know it will not break the battery but apparently will not charge it effectively
All that still has to go through the BMS, maybe if you were just feeding it directly it could be a problem.

Not charging it effectively has everything to do with the PWM not being very efficient in how it utilizes the solar energy, which is the main reason why you don't want a PWM charge controller if you can help it.

I will take the pulsating thing with a massive pinch of salt because there are plenty PWM chargers that has a lithium option.

From the Victron, as you can see, as long as the battery has a BMS you have nothing to worry about.

Programmable battery charge algorithm
Preprogrammed algorithms for AGM, GEL, Flooded or LiFePO4 batteries (with internal BMS only)

All that still has to go through the BMS, maybe if you were just feeding it directly it could be a problem.

Not charging it effectively has everything to do with the PWM not being very efficient in how it utilizes the solar energy, which is the main reason why you don't want a PWM charge controller if you can help it.

I will take the pulsating thing with a massive pinch of salt because there are plenty PWM chargers that has a lithium option.

From the Victron, as you can see, as long as the battery has a BMS you have nothing to worry about.

Also with the PWM charger it will try charge the battery with a voltage of just over the current voltage of the battery. But the BMS would want a specific constant voltage for the lithium battery? Would the battery even charge?

Back