Remember, remember, the fifth mobile player?

Antonf

Expert Member
Hey, do you seriously expect a Virgin to be into BROADband?

Virgin is staying a virgin i.r.o. mobile broadband! :D

rorz0r

Executive Member
I have made this useful representation of the SA mobile broadband situation:

sjdzubxxh8sv77ytjsg.png

Buzybuy

Dealer
Inside news is that Cell C is going to buy Virgin Mobile out.
I can't confirm this but the news came from a good source.

K3NS31

Expert Member
they have the best cell prices by far!!!

That's for sure, I'm saving a fortune with their R1 per minute call costs, thinking of changing to Cell C plus Skype eventually, but for now, this is still cheaper, as most of my contacts can't do Skype on their phones yet.
BTW, they don't need to bring out data bundles, they've got one of the cheapest OOB rates. They just need to do the upgrade to HSDPA

pkid

Expert Member
They just need to do the upgrade to HSDPA

They have already done this. For the past few weeks been using the new Cell C HSPA+ network on my HTC Legend with a Virgin contract. Works like a charm.

nut123

They have already done this. For the past few weeks been using the new Cell C HSPA+ network on my HTC Legend with a Virgin contract. Works like a charm.

Though weirdly this is only confirmed working in Durban so far... Definitely not working in Cape Town.

K3NS31

Expert Member

Really? Need to change any settings? Also, I read somewhere that older SIMs may not work and a SIM upgrade might be necessary?

Oh, wait, I see it's not working in CT yet according to nut123

magneto

I heard that virgin doesn't want it cherry popped

Last edited:

Avenue

Expert Member
virgin mobile has been completely ineffective in this country, I dont believe they are even thought of as one of the mobile operators by the majority of people.

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
"uncapped" mobile internet on the cards?
I think Virgin has nothing to gain by trying to compete at the moment, 18 months ago they had a lot going for them but the market changed and everybody needs to re-align. It makes more sense to sit quite, maybe loose a few customers until they can reshake the nest. Otherwise they will really have difficulty competing using the current way data is sold.

8ta's sms approach is one that could work quite nicely for prepaid data - use 10 megs and get an extra 40 megs to use for the day.

If they look at hitting MTNs fragile attempt at mobile uncapped - for example going up from 128 to 256 as the throttled speed - they can avoid getting into a price-per meg war while appearing to be pro-consumer.

60c per meg looks really good if you get an option to cash in uncapped 256k mobile for 24 hours for every 100 megs you download in a month
(it means that for slightly less than R1800 a month you'll have uncapped mobile at near comparable speeds to basic home dsl uncapped, more practically though people will go through 100 megs over a couple of days and at a convenient point in the month take an uncapped day - so if you spend 180 rands you'll be able to get a maximum of [assuming my maths is right] about 6gigs of data)

Maybe Nando's will buy Virgin ...