Rentals in Durban revisted

krepunk

So I'm not moving to Richards Bay anymore :) The job is in Durban so I have to find a place to stay in Durban. I've been looking at Morningside and Glenwood mostly, Glenwood seems to be a little cheaper but some agents have told me Morningside is much nicer.

What do you guys think?
I'm basically just looking for a safe area near-ish to the sea :eek: (yeah yeah...I hardly get to see the ocean here in jhb:p)

Does anyone have reliable contacts that I can get in touch with to find a nice place?

blunomore

Honorary Master
If I ever had to live in Durban, I'd love to stay in the Berea/Glenwood area ... If I am not mistaken those areas are very much like Melville or Norwood in JHB ... an arty kind of vibe.

ponder

Honorary Master
If I ever had to live in Durban, I'd love to stay in the Berea/Glenwood area ... If I am not mistaken those areas are very much like Melville or Norwood in JHB ... an arty kind of vibe.

Hippie :p :D

The only thing I like about that area is Bread Ahead. You do not drive past that spot with your window open else it's pure torture. They make the best pies ever, not greasy pastry, stuffed with meat and they do NOT give you heart burn. The rest of their baked goods are also to die for.

TowerGuru

Expert Member
Hippie :p :D

The only thing I like about that area is Bread Ahead. You do not drive past that spot with your window open else it's pure torture. They make the best pies ever, not greasy pastry, stuffed with meat and they do NOT give you heart burn. The rest of their baked goods are also to die for.

Bread Ahead is not in Glenwood, its in Berea.

And yeah Glenwood is awesome i live there!!! everything really close, shops, restaurants, art galleries, cafe's. its an awesome place to live.

krepunk

Thanks for the replies :)
Will look out for Bread Ahead.

Are there any area's in Glenwood to avoid?

Smurfatefrog

Expert Member
Thanks for the replies :)
Will look out for Bread Ahead.

Are there any area's in Glenwood to avoid?

Lower Glenwood, dont go lower then Frere Rd. Try stay above Nicolson/Bulwer
Nothing wrong with Westville either ;)

Milano

Honorary Master
wakefields.co.za

Click on rent property and select the suburb for a list of available properties with rental prices.

Welcome to Durbs, pls note we only work about 3 days a week here and we start late so just go with the flow...

krepunk

Ok, well just found out that the place I'm looking at is at 112 Davenport Rd, which is super close to Yossi's. Looks pretty nice on google street view :)
Just waiting to find out if the room will fit a queen size bed :)

ponder

Honorary Master
Ok, well just found out that the place I'm looking at is at 112 Davenport Rd, which is super close to Yossi's.

Super close is an understatement, if you tripped and fell you would land up inside Yossi's.

TowerGuru

Expert Member
Ok, well just found out that the place I'm looking at is at 112 Davenport Rd, which is super close to Yossi's. Looks pretty nice on google street view :)
Just waiting to find out if the room will fit a queen size bed :)

you would be living 300m away from me!! awesome! do you have a girlfriend? we can go shopping and skinner about you <relax im joking> =)

krepunk

Maybe it's not a good move to share my potential address on a public forum... :p

Anyway, two other options have come up in Morningside, one in Larch Rd, and one in Poplar Rd. Looking at street view they seem like nice enough areas, or is street view telling lies?

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Bread Ahead is not in Glenwood, its in Berea.

And yeah Glenwood is awesome i live there!!! everything really close, shops, restaurants, art galleries, cafe's. its an awesome place to live.
I love the chilled atmosphere there, definitely going to move there in the near future

hoegh

Expert Member
in terms of renting, glenwood / morningside are probably the best areas in durban, nice and central, but just be warned as the others said, a few places try to pass off as glenwood when in fact they are in umbilo which is not the greatest area