Returning product to online supplier?

gr00tk0p

Hi,

So my 2 month old GPU is acting up and I need to return it to Evetech, but they have been fairly vague as to the process. I was wondering if anybody have gone through the process of returning to an online retailer? What retailer? What courier did you use? How much did it cost? Do they reimburse you if the product is faulty? etc.

Thanks

airborne

Honorary Master
Some will offer to collect for free others leave it up to you to organise to get it to them.

Why not just ask them??

Jakes147

Expert Member
Used raru: ram module was faulty. Logged return on their website and they arranged for a courier (courierit) to collect the package from my house. The ram was sent back to their supplier, tested and a replacement delivered.

The did notify me that if the module was found to be in working order I would have to pay a R35 delivery fee.

gr00tk0p

I did contact them, and they informed me I can send the GPU to their address, however they didn't answer any of my other questions. My biggest question is what is the best courier service to use?

airborne

Honorary Master
I did contact them, and they informed me I can send the GPU to their address, however they didn't answer any of my other questions. My biggest question is what is the best courier service to use?
Aramex at Pnp R99 or Xoc.co.za about R120

lived666

Executive Member
mds collivery, insurance is R30 for anything up to R10k....or internet express, current R100 special plus 2% for insurance

Drunkard #1

Expert Member
The law says that the supplier pays for collection and takes any risk. Good luck with that, though - this is a lawless third world ****hole.

airborne

Honorary Master
mds collivery, insurance is R30 for anything up to R10k....or internet express, current R100 special plus 2% for insurance
What are Mds Colliery rates like compared to Xoc/courier guy?
The law says that the supplier pays for collection and takes any risk. Good luck with that, though - this is a lawless third world ****hole.
That's not the way I understand it, if you are lucky then the retailer will offer free shipping both ways but it's the responsibility of the consumer to return the item to the address of the retailer and thereafter the retailers cost to ship said item once repaired back to the customer

Drunkard #1

Expert Member
What are Mds Colliery rates like compared to Xoc/courier guy?

That's not the way I understand it, if you are lucky then the retailer will offer free shipping both ways but it's the responsibility of the consumer to return the item to the address of the retailer and thereafter the retailers cost to ship said item once repaired back to the customer

Consumer Protection Act, Section 56(2)

(2) Within six months after the delivery of any goods to a consumer, the consumer
may return the goods to the supplier, without penalty and at the supplier’s risk and
expense
, if the goods fail to satisfy the requirements and standards contemplated in
section 55...

Borrels

I also return a faulty bluetooth speaker to Raru. Just emailed them, they arranged a courier to collect and send back to the supplier. It took a while, since the supplier first had to evaluate the faulty unit and then didn't have stock for a replacement but Raru kept me informed throughout. Great service by Raru, I was impressed.

airborne

Honorary Master
Let me google that for you.
?

I've looked into this situation quite extensively before and the end result is the law says its the onus on the buyer to get the goods back to the supplier if it's a warranty claim, other situations I'm not 100% sure.

Drunkard #1

Expert Member
?

I've looked into this situation quite extensively before and the end result is the law says its the onus on the buyer to get the goods back to the supplier if it's a warranty claim, other situations I'm not 100% sure.

Well then provide a reference, because the Consumer Protection Act says the exact opposite. I see no point quoting the whole act here - I've already given the relevant section.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Well then provide a reference, because the Consumer Protection Act says the exact opposite. I see no point quoting the whole act here - I've already given the relevant section.

http://www.michalsons.co.za/blog/returns-under-the-consumer-protection-act/9191

The ECT Act and returns

The ECT Act has its own consumer protection provisions, some of which will trump the CPA

If you sell (or buy goods) online then there are some extra things to consider. Most importantly the Electronic Communications and Transactions Act (ECT Act) will apply to the transaction. The ECT Act has its own consumer protection provisions, some of which will trump the CPA. Specifically, the reasons (1)-(3) for returns listed above do not apply if the ECT Acts provisions apply to the transaction. Instead of these rights of return consumers have;

- a general right to return (a ‘cooling off period’),
- for seven days after delivery,
- for any reason,
- without penalty, but
- the consumer will be liable for the costs of returning the goods.

Since the ECT Act has been around since 2002, if you have an online store, your returns policies should already be in-line with these provisions.

It is best that the consumer organise their own shipping and return, there are cases where the consumer will package an item like an SSD in the most behemoth box they could muster to acquire to nail a supplier which organised the shipping and return.

Drunkard #1

Expert Member
http://www.michalsons.co.za/blog/returns-under-the-consumer-protection-act/9191

It is best that the consumer organise their own shipping and return, there are cases where the consumer will package an item like an SSD in the most behemoth box they could muster to acquire to nail a supplier which organised the shipping and return.

From your own link, as you quoted:

The ECT Act and returns

The ECT Act has its own consumer protection provisions, some of which will trump the CPA

If you sell (or buy goods) online then there are some extra things to consider. Most importantly the Electronic Communications and Transactions Act (ECT Act) will apply to the transaction. The ECT Act has its own consumer protection provisions, some of which will trump the CPA. Specifically, the reasons (1)-(3) for returns listed above do not apply if the ECT Acts provisions apply to the transaction. Instead of these rights of return consumers have;

So then let's look at (4):

4) Implied Warranty of quality.

In terms of s56 (read with s55) of the CPA, all goods sold to a consumer are sold with an implied warranty of quality, that cannot be contracted out of or revoked. The warranty gives the consumer the right to receive goods that:

are reasonably suitable for the purpose that they are intended to be used for,
are of good quality, free of defects and in good working order, and
will be durable and usable for a reasonable period of time.

If goods are found not to comply with these requirements then;

up to 6 months after receiving the goods;
the consumer can return the goods, or
get the goods replaced, or
get the goods repaired.
The consumer can do any of these things without penalty; and
at the suppliers cost.

Honestly, didn't you read your own link, or didn't you think I would?

You can whine all you want, if you're demanding that a customer pay for return shipping, you're breaking the law.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
From your own link, as you quoted:

So then let's look at (4):

Honestly, didn't you read your own link, or didn't you think I would?

Yeah, that is why I had the decency to supply the link.

You can whine all you want, if you're demanding that a customer pay for return shipping, you're breaking the law.

Actually, you did not bring up 1, 2, 3 or 4 until I made my post, let me quote,

1)

The Direct Marketing Cooling-Off Period.

2)

Goods which have not been seen before purchase

and 3)

Goods do not meet particular purpose.

and let's have a look at your 'relevant' quote,

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...e-supplier?p=18233607&viewfull=1#post18233607

(2) Within six months after the delivery of any goods to a consumer, the consumer may return the goods to the supplier, without penalty and at the supplier’s risk and expense, if the goods fail to satisfy the requirements and standards contemplated in section 55...

without you stating I was quite aware to what exactly section 55 applies to and that what is covered under an implied warranty, does this however apply to an extended supplier warranty as stipulated at the time the product was purchased?

I simply replied to a post to which you had replied to. I am not the one being vague here... and demanding that the supplier must be liable in any case.